Latest news on the gurkas.

rambo1969

Dave you say 'better behaved'? A MODPLOD friend of mine was sent down to Dover when the Gurkha's were there. She loved it, apparently they were coming up to her on the gate saying 'Hello Madam, where brothel?' :-D

Cultural & language difficulties. Perhaps they meant, 'where's the Bank Madam'?...........................:rofl:

It is sickening that these brave servicemen risk life and limb for britain just to be cast aside, I most certainly ashamed by that! As rosie said we let any one in with no job etc, etc, and turn our backs on the Gurkhas!

Consider rant over and form signed!

The result of this vote will not be binding on the Govt. but if it gets enough cross party support it will, at least, show them the feeling in the country.

I have emailed my MP but knowing her voting record and her lack of support for her own constituents I hold out little hope of her going against the Govt line.:argh:

The result of this vote will not be binding on the Govt. but if it gets enough cross party support it will, at least, show them the feeling in the country.

I have emailed my MP but knowing her voting record and her lack of support for her own constituents I hold out little hope of her going against the Govt line.:argh:

As per your statement above. Didnt you know. They arent' there to represent the wishes of the votors. No, No, No, we are here to keep them in a Job!..........:-D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just heard on Newsnight that the Home Secretary is expected to make a statement in Parliament tomorrow saying that all Gurkhas will be allowed to stay in this country. Good news if this turns out to be the case.

Just heard on Newsnight that the Home Secretary is expected to make a statement in Parliament tomorrow saying that all Gurkhas will be allowed to stay in this country. Good news if this turns out to be the case.

NICE U Turn!! Now all we need for them to say is they are going to abolish Tax on Petrol!!:yay: (Yeah, like THAT's going to happen!) :confused:

Just got this from No10 Skip to content

Number10.gov.uk logo

The official site of the Prime Minister’s Office

* Home

* News

* Communicate

* Meet the PM

* History and Tour

* Number 10 TV

Search

Home > Justice4gurkhas - epetition response

News

* Latest News

* Speeches and Transcripts

* Statements and Articles

* Prime Minister’s Questions

* Press Briefings

* Press Notices

* Webchats

May 2009 M T W T F S S

« Apr

1 2 3

4 5 6 7 8 9 10

11 12 13 14 15 16 17

18 19 20 21 22 23 24

25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Thursday 21 May 2009

Justice4gurkhas - epetition response

We received a petition asking:

“We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to allow all Gurkhas who have fought for our country and their families the right to stay in the U.K. regardless of when they served in the Army.”

Details of Petition:

“For over 200 years the Gurkhas have served our country and helped keep us safe. Over 45,000 died for us during the 2 world wars. The government is still refusing to let these brave men and their families stay in the country they have fought for. Please sign the petition to get justice for all Gurkhas no matter how long they served for or when. These people are an asset to our country and should have every right to live here.”

· Read the petition

· Petitions homepage

Read the Government’s response

For many years, the Brigade of Gurkhas have shown bravery, commitment and dedication in serving this country, and continue to do so on operations today.

This Government has done more for Gurkhas than any other. It was the first Government to grant settlement to Gurkhas and the first to equalise pay and pensions, with over 6,000 former Gurkhas and their families already given the right to live in the UK. In April we took steps to increase the number of Gurkhas eligible to come to this country by 4,000 or, including families, 10,000 people.

The House of Commons has now expressed a clear view that all Gurkhas should be entitled to settle in the United Kingdom if that is what they wish.

This Government respects the will of the House of Commons and recognises the strong feeling and public support for this cause. Consequently, we have announced today that all former Gurkhas who served for longer than four years will be eligible to apply for settlement in the United Kingdom. They will also be entitled to bring their spouses and dependent minor children. There will be no time limit on applications.

This scheme recognises the unique nature of the service given to the UK by the Brigade of Gurkhas and is offered to them on an exceptional basis.

We believe that in announcing the new policy today, we have met their concerns and those of Parliament.

Further Information

Tags: Gurkhas

Share this:

delicious logodelicious

digg logodigg

facebook logofacebook

Newsletter

Sign up to our newsletter to keep updated with the latest information from Number 10

Click here to subscribe

Around the Web

Flickr Logo Flickr RSS Feed

Latest Photos

PM meets Joanna Lumley

View all images

Share this: Deliciouslogo Digg logo Facebook logo

YouTube Logo YouTube rss feed

Latest Videos

View all videos

Share this: Delicious logo Digg logo Facebook logo

Twitter Logo Twitter rss feed

Latest Commentary

DowningStreet: All former Gurkhas and families given right to apply for settlement in the UK - read Home Secretary's statement at http://tinyurl.com/pampqc

21 May 2009 12:22:45

DowningStreet: Watch a replay of today's and previous Prime Minister's Questions in our dedicated player - http://tinyurl.com/d7h454

20 May 2009 15:41:49

DowningStreet: Prime Minister's Questions now streaming live via our website - go to http://www.number10.gov.uk

20 May 2009 12:10:58

DowningStreet: @smartsundri The Speaker falls under the jurisdiction of Parliament, not Number 10. Like MPs' expenses, this is a matter for @UKParliament.

19 May 2009 12:39:23

Read commentary

Share this: Delicious logo Digg logo Facebook logo

Facebook Logo

News and video from Number 10

through a Facebook application

Find us on Facebook

History and Tour

Tour Image

Read more history and view our all new tour

* Copyright

* Freedom of Information

* Contact Us

* Privacy Policy

* Site Map

* Accessibility

* RSS

* Podcasts

* Links

* DirectGov

The thing that worries me is that the gurkas have to have done 4 yrs service, what if they were medically discharged through injuries whilst in service before 4 years?

Oh im SURE that will be covered! I have every confidence that the Government will NOT grant entry & settlement to premiturely discharged Personell through injury. They will have small clauses to reduce to the minimum anyone they actually will allow. The key wording here is FOUR years service. They lost this one & will NOT like it! :nono:

So, any other criteria will most likely NOT be allowed!

Am I cynical, or do I live in the real world?................:whistle:

• 2 weeks later...