Some of my kit!! Neil!!!

james-sas

Hello all as previously mentioned i collect kit relating to the regiment, here a small selection more to follow!! Neil any comments welcomed!! i am missing pics of a few bits bergan, law 66 and a few other bits but ill put em up soon...

DSC01641.jpg

DSC01640.jpg

DSC01639.jpg

Interesting collection sir. Nice SLR too - although my preference was ever for the wooden furniture model. A bit heavier but that was offset by the fact of the added impetus when butt-whacking the bad guys in CQB!! Although if things had deteriorated to that point some one, somewhere, had screwed up big time.... :)

If you are portraying an SAS trooper though the belt kit is a bit overloaded!! Belt kit is meant to live off in case all goes pear shaped and brown stuff starts flying off the fan blades so you have to ditch the bergens and withdraw at high speed.....

Mine - and this was typical of other in my era - comprised the two kidney pouches, two water bottle carriers to the rear. S6 Respirator case on the left side, ammo pouches to the front (if using the 58 pattern ones the bayonet went in it's prescribed position als in a frog to the right). If issued (not often) a 9mm browning holster also went to the right. Everything else went in the bergen including the gollock and poncho. As said elsewhere we never used the yokes or the poncho roll or large pack. Never carried the Turtle helmet either.

In the two kidney pouches would be a box containing a cleaning kit for personal weapons inc a bottle of Jenolite for getting the carbon off the gas plug etc., a very basic first aid kit inc. sterilization tablets and the rest would be rations taken out of the rat packs plus a hexe cooker and tablets. Main meals in those days would be tinned so usually only two tins would be packed - then padded out with packets of milk, soup etc. inside the mess tins. Never carried Cheese Possessed though. :) Oh yes - soap and a razor were part of the list although some disposed of the razor and used the FS to shave with. I also had a sleeping bag made from two parachute gores sewn together and this too was used as packing. The KFS, in a tightly bound roll, would be in the BFA pocket on the 58 pattern ammo pouches.

IF the SLR had been adapted by the armourer to full auto AND if the person had coughed up to get the mags adapted to force feed then the 58 pattern pouches were always used for obvious reasons. If the person was still using the standard 20 round mags then it was permitted to visit an US PX whilst on exercise and replace them with M16 pouches as they were a nice tight fit so the mags couldn't rattle. The 58 pattern pouches were padded between the mags with something like the 4x2 cleaning cloth for the cleaning kit.

FS would be stowed in a sheath in the persons clothing somewhere - usually trousers. First aid dressing was in one of the breast pockets of the smock OR taped to the belt, not taped to the stock of the SLR.

In the bergen would be a large plastic bag to keep everything dry on river crossings and in that would be a change of clothing, rest of the ration packs, full first aid kit, gollock, poncho, sleeping bag, spare ammunition, explosive or dets and a shrike or claymores depending on mission, full NBC suit, diverse parts of the radio kits ancillaries (batteries, charger, parts etc.). And anything else I might have forgotten due to advancing years!! :cry:

First thing you did on prepping up was jump up and down a few times with and without the bergen and weapons to make sure nothing rattled or squeaked or whatever in either the belt kit or bergen thus incurring the PSI's or SSM's wrath - NOT a clever thing to do!! :shake:

One last thing - ALL the SLR's issued to the three regiments had the sling swivels and carrying handles removed by the armourers. As far as I know this lasted until the SLR was withdrawn from service.

For portraying a standard squaddies kit though - it's a pretty comprehensive collection. :) Here the first aid dressing would be taped to the yoke on the left side usually. Taping it to the butt was a US affectation AFAICR.

Either way though it's a very nice collection and one you can take take a justifiable pride in!!

Was this waffle of any use to you at all?? (remember my era was the late Seventies)

Edited by ArtistsRifles

no it grately appreciated, the contents of me belt kit are 4 slr mags all of which strangely have the 4x2 stuffed between them! my E & E pouch has my survival tin, various rations again all of which are "noise proofed" and sat in a mess tin, the 58 water bottle carrier has dressings, cleaning kit for the slr and most importantly the obligatory yorkie!! i'll take some more pics!! but again many thanks for comments, i will be taping up swivels, how ever much i want to get it 100% right i cant bring me self to take stuff of the slr....yet.. i agree on the wood though, just in midst of locating the final bits!!!:)

I have a complete CRW assault suit,including body armour,gloves,pistol belt for the sig sauer pistol. The plan is to put it on a mannaquin with all the equipment and have it in the hall of the house to greet visitorsxyxthumbs.gif

Hope he's not going to 'Greet' them with the Pistol!!! :shocked:

get some pics up!! i've got some blacks, well everything bar a bloodyradio headset! ill put some pics up, i opted for a glock, dunno why i hate the things now!!

Lord b, what suit you got?

Tony, you never know when the pink bobble will come in!! very handy!!:sweat:

get some pics up!! i've got some blacks, well everything bar a bloodyradio headset! ill put some pics up, i opted for a glock, dunno why i hate the things now!!

Lord b, what suit you got?

Tony, you never know when the pink bobble will come in!! very handy!!:sweat:

I dont know what the exact mk of assault suit it is. Other than i bought it as part of a job lot from a m.o.d auction. In amongst the boxes of D.P.M jackets and trousers was a box slightly bigger than the others. When i opened it,it contained Five assault suits and associated body armour and equipment. there was a label inside the box that said 22 SAS creden hill. I take it that it was part of stuff disposed of when the SAS moved from Stirling Lines.I kept one complete set and sold and sold the other four off. I even sold one set to a captain in the Aussie SAS who was here on attachment with the grenadier guards at Chelsea barracks. Give me a week or so,and i will dig it out of the loft and get some pics up.

• 6 months later...

There were some 80s First Field Dressings in our vehicle First Aid kit when we bought it (rediscovered them this morning looking for something else). If you want them drop me a PM and I'll chuck them in the post, they'll only go in the bin otherwise :)

Stone

There were some 80s First Field Dressings in our vehicle First Aid kit when we bought it (rediscovered them this morning looking for something else). If you want them drop me a PM and I'll chuck them in the post, they'll only go in the bin otherwise :)

Stone

PM sent mate