Bedford 28hp torque ?

No Signals

I have the standard manuals giving the word on tightening down the cylinder head, but does anyone have a torque value for the bolts? Beyond the 'give them a good even tightening' :)

No Sigs,

There was a special cranked spanner supplied with military Bedfords to tighten the head, this would prevent overtightening due to its length.

Now, looking at the 1947 Bedford Manual for civilian K, M and O models with the 28hp, they show the head torque as 78 to 83 lbs/ft.

I always did mine to 60 lb ft. The origanal idea was to tighten with the origanal bedford head spanner with a firm pull, the length of the spanner gave the proper torque. But it is very important to start in middle and tighten gradually outwards in a spiral, see the manual for proper sequence. After running until at operating temp, allow to cool and retighten. then reset tappets with engine running at slowest speed possable.

Cheers gents!

I know about the special spanner ( have one) only thing there is it depends upon the strength of the user as well as its length. I'm happier knowing a quoted figure. As ever, the forum comes up with useful answers within no time at all.

I think you will find that the manual says use one hand on the end of the spanner, accepted that could vary in torque between those doing it, but that was the way in those days.

I think you will find that the manual says use one hand on the end of the spanner, .

And I always thought that with two hands and both feet wedged against the engine was the only approved method.:-D If you saw the punyness of my hands you'd understand why I want a torque setting.:-)

• 1 year later...

I agree, had a look in my M-series manual - 78-83 lbs/ft for the 28hp.

Remember to torque it down evenly in the correct sequence, the 28's long head could really have benefitted from an extra line of studs up the centre, plenty of scope to end up with a banana!!! :laugh::laugh:

If in doubt with older engines, I usually nip them up to 60 all round, thats enough to get a good seal on the iffy-est of block faces!! :-D

When you find out the correct size in the future, it can be torqued down to that figure then :-)

Alec.