Helicopters WWII

abn deuce

One wonder what would have happened if the design had been improved quickly enough for it the have been used during WWII

A view of the first successful US Army helicopter designed by Igor Sikorsky flying past the Capitol Dome. Location: Washington, DC, US Date taken: 1943 Photographer: J. R. Eyerman

helicopter1943.jpg

That is a fasinating image and I have always been confused as to when the first 'useable' helicopter was made.

Why didn't they crack this during the war???

If we'd sorted the jet engine out properly during the war, it would've helped. Helicopters only really became powerful and useful with the advent of jet turbine engines.

Those chaps who turned down Frank Whittles early ideas have a lot to answer for.

I beleive that at the time the Germans had a far more advanced helicopter design , in so much as they could fly faster and were able to carry more . but the Allies destroyed they few they had and the production facilities.

some archivel footage of the different German designs flying , The posters title has to do with the Korean war claim of first combat use.

still a must see video.

Something went wrong...

• 1 year later...

Hmmmm, I didn't realize that the Germans had that many helicopters and that they actually used them as well. You learn something everyday.

In the youtube video there's one that does a loop!? Is that right, I thought only the Lynx did that?

Thanks for posting!

Marty

yep something new everyday.... but I guess all my training was on American equipment so Sikorsky is credited throughout as the inventor of the helicopter.

He also invented the helicopter seatbelt. This design revelation came about in his backyard testing a prototype which started bouncing. Sikorksky was thrown up into the rotor blades and smacked through the back fence :D. We used to have heaps of his old prototype films

Edited by fesm_ndt
PP spelling

The US used helicopters for casualty evacuation in Burma,

Hanna Reitch (sp?) the German test pilot used to fly early Germany helicopters INDOORS as a party trick in the Thirties, she also test piloted rocket fighters like the Me163 and flew in and out of Berlin during the last Soviet assault.

jch

I had no idea that the Third Reich had developed the rotary winged aircraft to such a degree... When I watched 'The Eagle has Landed' over 30 years ago I scoffed at the use of a helicopter. It would appear that theoretically it was possible !

The US used helicopters for casualty evacuation in Burma,

Hanna Reitch (sp?) the German test pilot used to fly early Germany helicopters INDOORS as a party trick in the Thirties, she also test piloted rocket fighters like the Me163 and flew in and out of Berlin during the last Soviet assault.

jch

Hanna Reitch , another interesting topic.... what ever happened to her? I would be on Wikipedia but am dashing off to work.

Hanna Reitch , another interesting topic.... what ever happened to her? I would be on Wikipedia but am dashing off to work.

Well an interesting read and poses some interesting thoughts as appears she was a fervent and suicidial Nazi supporter but wasn't locked up or sanctioned.

http://greyfalcon.us/Hanna%20Reitsch.htm very interesting read

Then she uttered the words that for so long kept her out of the history books:

"Many Germans feel guilty about the war. But they don't explain the real guilt we share - that we lost."

The angelus in the back ground is an autogiro, or sometimes described as a kite. It has an unpowered rotor. There is one at Headcorn, the plan is to make it flyable. Apparently it needs a wind of 32 kph to fly. To be a Helicopter, the sircraft must have a powered mainrotor, be capable of vertical take of and landing, and hover.