WW2 RAF Vehicles

thedawnpatrol

hi Ted,

I'm trying to decide what colour to use for the RAF jeep I'm currently working on and have been reading all what's been posted here (see my posted question on http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?17110-colour-of-WW2-RAF-jeep).

First I had decided to use the RAF blue (grey) but after reading what's in this post, about regulations for colours, I thought of going for brown and dark brown. However, I've been reading this post just now: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?5280-RAF-Blue-Jeep&highlight=RAF+blue, indicating that it would very well be possible to have seen RAF blue jeeps during WW2 as well.

As you seem to be an authority, I'd like to hear what you think about this.

So, Tim, What have you decided ? I too am thinking of re painting my GPW as an RAF vehicle ?

Jules

• 1 year later...

Other than the usual RAF markings/Roundel etc what unit marking would an RAF Austin K2 Ambulance carry.

Would it relate to the Command or Squadron ? -or was there a specific "medical" marking along the lines of a Maintenance Unit marking.

The attached taken sept 1941 is a classic of correct marking. Roundal with the M for Maintenance Command . The RAF reg on the number plate and the dual bridge class facing forward in a prominent position. I would guess at this date the colour is RAF Blue Grey but more likely Khaki Green No 3. In recent months I have been digging deeply into the RAF records re colour and markings; I have made great progress but I will never get the full story as some documents are not availible in their original unamended form. It is becoming apparent that some vehicles never received an RAF reg or serial number but continued on their pre spring 1941 Middlesex County Council reg number.

Let me know what vehicle what period and what theatre of operations and I will do my best to give you what the good book said which often was not happened in reality.

regards TED

Hi Ted can you help with the correct markings for a Ford Jeep based on a local airfield (Enstone if poss) in 1944

The restoration is almost complete and the paint went on yesterday.

Thanks

Ted,

I presume you have a copy of Mike Starmer's book - British Army Colours & Disruptive Camo in UK, France & NW Europe 1936-45?

What do you reckon to the colour chips on page 40?

Are they a good match for the same colours used by the RAF that you described earlier in this thread?

He has done a lifetimes research; So I would say yes. Certainly I use all his formulas for my models.

Hi Ted can you help with the correct markings for a Ford Jeep based on a local airfield (Enstone if poss) in 1944

The restoration is almost complete and the paint went on yesterday.

Thanks

I don't have much info on ENSTONE it was mainly a bomber training station 91 group. So the theory is a Roundel plus B/91 plus a bridge class mark. On a Jeep its a case of put the marking where it will fit. The convention was roundal on offside with Command/Group mark above it . Have a dig into other local airfield some were bound to be involved in 2TAF and therefore far more likely to have Jeeps.

TED

I don't have much info on ENSTONE it was mainly a bomber training station 91 group. So the theory is a Roundel plus B/91 plus a bridge class mark. On a Jeep its a case of put the marking where it will fit. The convention was roundal on offside with Command/Group mark above it . Have a dig into other local airfield some were bound to be involved in 2TAF and therefore far more likely to have Jeeps.

TED

Hi Ted thanks for the info, could you PM me your phone number please. thanks Ian

• 2 years later...

Hello - stumbled across this thread and wonder if anyone can help?

RAF Elvington & Linton on Ouse (plus others in Yorkshire) apparently used a variety of trucks as the war went on.

The RCAF Sqdn's by all accounts used some GMC jimmy's in 1944/45 for general transport duties.

I know that Elvington was in 4 Group and was the 2nd group airfield - so marked as B 4/2 of their vehicles.

Do you have any information of use of GMC's by the RAF?

Hello - stumbled across this thread and wonder if anyone can help?

RAF Elvington & Linton on Ouse (plus others in Yorkshire) apparently used a variety of trucks as the war went on.

The RCAF Sqdn's by all accounts used some GMC jimmy's in 1944/45 for general transport duties.

I know that Elvington was in 4 Group and was the 2nd group airfield - so marked as B 4/2 of their vehicles.

Do you have any information of use of GMC's by the RAF?

Jimmy was not a recorded standard type in RAF use but there is no doubt some were used ; All the pictures I have of RCAF Bommber Command stations they used UK vehicles or those of RCAF origin from Canada, .

Turning to Elvington it was a 4 Group station and its vehicles were marked Officially - B/4 . It hosted 2 free French Sqn most of the war. Later in the war it was designated a part of 42 Base ( RAF Pocklington) within 4 Group. In the latter part of the war bomber stations were grouped together . In 4 Group there were 4 stations grouped together as 41 base. and 4 together as 42 base, and so on; Each base was under the command of an Air Commodore with the lead station (in this case Pocklington ) being known as the Master Base as his HQ. I think this is where your misunderstanding of B/4/2 comes from. Whilst some vehicles may well have carried it , the only officially sanctioned marking was Command /Group which in Elvingtons case was B/4.

TED

The RAF used CCKWs with 51 MT in North Africa/Middle East during the war, but not as far as I am aware within the UK. I'm not entire;y sure how Article XV squadron were handled in terms of the supply chain, but as they were under RAF operational control, one assumes they used the same supply channels as the rest of the RAF.