French post war forces in africa

martylee

I've sen several photos of french forces using Dodges in africa after the war. It seems that these were usually heavy armed trucks. I'd like to find out more about these troops and their use of the Dodge trucks. Does anyone have any suggested reading on the subject?

Marty

Thanks Degsy!

Nice photos!

As a follow up on the subject I've started this morning with the movie "La battaglia di Algerie". This is the 1965 story that was nominated for 3 oscars and received the golden lion of the Venize film festival. A good movie with both 4x4 Dodges and 6x6 Dodges. And also several Jeeps.

Thank you all! Please feel free to add more info/ photos, I'm not full yet! ;-)

Marty

• 1 month later...

I met an ex Foreign Legion guy at a show who told me that after they were issued with modern 4WD trucks to replace their old WW2 GMC's they found that although they were fitted with single balloon tyres they were useless in soft sand. The narrow twin rear wheels of the jimmys theoretically should be inferior in these conditions but they managed to retain a few jimmys which were used solely for recovery of the modern vehicles. He said that had it been possible they would have much preferred to keep the old vehicles.

Just finished reading the excellent book Legionnaire, which is the true story of a Brit in the FFL. Brilliant book with some very interesting photos. A very complicated and bloody campaign. You can see why the French were reluctant to get involved in any more foreign wars after that. Interesting to read that the Arabs were mostly using WW2 german weapons and that the legion had a large number of WW2 German veterans serving in it at that time.

One of many interesting anecdotes was that a legionnaire deserted after a couple of weeks service and was picked up about 15 years later back in France. They sent him back to Africa to do his five years. Must have been very hard for him.

Tim (too)

Legionnaire is a seminal work. So much so that when the history I referred to earlier came to the De Gaulle putsch, all it could do was quote Simon Murray's book as the only recorded first-hand account of what was going on in the two Foreign Parachute Regiments.

Edited by AlienFTM
I knew I hand't spelt De Gaulle right, but was too idle to google it. And then I did.

Interesting that. Before i read the book I never knew that France was so close to a succesful military coup. I was given an old Giles cartoon book many years ago. It had a strange cartoon which i never understood. It showed a column of French legionnaires marching in to a fort with the caption "Well there goes our two weeks in Paris then". Murrays book explained that very well.

I saw some French Algerian war vehicles and reenactors at W&P some years back. I wish that i had taken more notice of them.

Tim (too).

• 2 weeks later...

The French Foreign Legion were protecting the Airport at Sarajevo when i was on ops at UNPROFOR HQ. When they took over protection duties, they were regularly getting sniped at from a ruin of a village near the edge of the airport, U.N. engagement rules pretty much prevented them from taking action, but "allegedly" a couple of Legionnaires went for a stroll into said local village during the night and cut the snipers trigger fingers off! sniping on the airport dropped right off immediately afterwards!

Never forget the French Forward Air Controllers callsign "Mickey Mouse" which came about because of Euro Disney.