registering a vehicle

My little journey started by taking my vehicle ( a willys jeep) to the MOT station , were it was tested ,chassis number ,engine number , number of seats and lastly the mileage was inspected , that cost me £45.

The next was a letter of verification which i could of done my self and which is what i will do next time , a chap came out who was a very knowledgeble in jeeps gave it good look over to make sure it was what i said it was and basically took all the same details as the MOT guy had done , that cost me £40.

I then had to go to Manchester with all the relevent paper work plus a cheque for£55 made payable to the DVLA.

I then was told i had to take the vehicle to the VOSA testing station in Oldham to be inspected by their inspector (WHY?) which is a good three quarters of a hour away.

I then took a day of work , hired a trailer which cost £35 plus another £20 in fuel in the rain for the guy to look at (who could`nt tell the difference between a genuine WW2 jeep and a CJ2) only take the same details as the MOT guy............what hell is going on?

To recap that little exercise has now cost me £315 which includes the loss of a days wage , i thought we were in the age of computers ,ie every body can talk to each other and the relevent information exchanged?

Why the VOSA guy could`nt come out is beyond me........

If a vehicle is already on the road (road registered) then by all means drive it to a VOSA station but when a vehicle has to be trailered there ,the inspector should be allowed to pay you a visit.

What would of happened if i did not have a tow bar fitted to my car?..........what next a recovery vehicle!.......so this is a warning to all of you out there who are currently restoring a vehicle that needs registering.

Oh! by the way do you think the DVLA would reimburse me for the excess cost?............i do`nt think so

The VOSA ( or DVLA ) man will come out to check the vehicle. They usually work areas so that they deal with several in same locality in a day. All they do is check to chassis and engine numbers visually, to see they match the details submitted, this costs nothing to you.

As for Vehicle Verification of age, this is only recognised by DVLA if done by bodies registered to them, such as owners clubs, vehicle groups, etc. MVT members can have it done under their groups scheme, and using their database, can verify the year of build, this should not cost £40. I have had them done by MVT.

I too have just registered my Californian import 43 Ford GPW

Took it for MOT £50, Got letter from my MV Club -£ nil, Took loads of photos of chassis, engine, tub etc nos and data plates (close up and wider showing position of them etc) Got insurance on its chassis No (as did for MOT) Also had the Customs document showing it legally imported etc and the Californian title (equiv of V5).

Filled in the V55/5 and took everything to local DVLA - caused a lot of interest in office and they now have photos on their board. Next day received tax disc and 3 days later the V5, all legal now and within 5 days on road registered and happy - so I think it must vary considerably from office to office

Regards

Gary

I wish my DVLA office was a bit more helpfull as yours were but unfortunately the Manchester and the Preston branch have stopped their inspectors coming to your premises.

As you can imagine that alone was the biggest pain in the neck , never mind i have learn`t a lot from that little exercise and will be better prepared for the next time , may be?

Not only does the left hand not know what the right is doing... the left is unaware that there is a right!

I went through all this when I imported the Dodge... feels like banging your head against a wall whils simultaneously tearing your hair out and flogging a dead horse...

The utter conviction that each department is right and the other is wrong is very frustrating!

i must say the Manchester branch were brilliant , they were slick and well versed with process of registering a vehicle for the first time absolutely no problem with them, except for taking the vehicle to their inspector.

unlike the Preston branch ............,calling on them for the second time armed with all my up to date papers including my letter of verification .

which they would not accept unless i had another letter from the MVT stating that all the replacement parts that had been used in the restoration were original or had been made to the original manufactures specification.......

It was at that point i thought *"^%"£ i`m of to manchester who were just marvelous.

• 1 year later...