Bren carrier in a crate, the real deal.

antar

Below is a picture I took at L Jackson and Co in Doncaster during the mid 1980,s, it is a bren carrier in a wooden packing crate stood on its side. The photo was taken through a pair of sliding doors on a warehouse on which the handles were chained together so that you could not get in the warehouse. Someone else had prised a couple of boards off the crate before I got there.

2009_0131TCH-Lincoln-mount-mo0103.JPG

I remember it well. I've been in that building but I'm sure it wasn't in there at the time it wasn't locked up then. After it was locked I've stood for hours with an eye glued to the gap in the boards. The Carrier was very rough. Somebody there told me that it had been stored outside for a long time in the crate and it had filled with water so the steering gear and whatever other magic bits are in the bottom were rotten. He told me they'd had two but I can't remember what he said they'd done with the other one. Probably set it on fire to get rid of the crate, then weighed it in.

I've got no idea what happened to this one.

Have you any more photographs of Jackson's? I've got a lot showing Land-Rovers and a few other things - K2, Dorchester etc.

Below is a picture I took at L Jackson and Co in Doncaster during the mid 1980,s, it is a bren carrier in a wooden packing crate stood on its side. The photo was taken through a pair of sliding doors on a warehouse on which the handles were chained together so that you could not get in the warehouse. Someone else had prised a couple of boards off the crate before I got there.

Charlie Morgans at Bishop Waltham Hants in the late 1960's there was a mountain of

crated Canadian universal carriers stacked up....couldn't afford one plus the transport then

Edited by Nick Johns

I wouldn't have thought he'd have set fire to it. I remember lou he was a friend of my dads, we spent many hours there filling the trailer and range rover as he was clearing the place, the amount of stuff he burnt was criminal. They have a big collection it's probably in there.

I think the one on the farm came from Eric Crooks at preston when he cleared his yard..

I think the one on the farm came from Eric Crooks at preston when he cleared his yard..

Crooks were advertising the crated Carrier for years, along with some other WW2 vehicles, this was before they moved premises.

There is a chap in Sussex who owns what has a crated Carrier, I have seen it on the road, still in what original paint is left with the maple leaf transfers on the side. One run we did, his coil packed up, other than that, it ran well.

Crooks were advertising the crated Carrier for years, along with some other WW2 vehicles,

I remember the ads in Wheels & Tracks magazine to this day! Did sparkle the imagination. I always wondered how on earth why they did not use those vehicles during the war when there was a shortage of everything?!?

I wonder about the same thing when I see mid-war unissued webbing, NOS vehicle parts and the like. . . .

- Hanno

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I remember seeing rows and rows of them as a kid at Dagenham post war,i believe ford made them.They must of been used somewhere,sold o/seas maybe?

Charlie Morgans at Bishop Waltham Hants in the late 1960's there was a mountain of

crated Canadian universal carriers stacked up....couldn't afford one plus the transport then

Nick - it is a small world - my Father cut all of these up. He said that everything was wrapped in grease proof paper :shocked:

He also talks about the fact they used to buy brand new, crated, Bedford QL engines. They bought the engines for the crates...he would tip the engines out and used the crates to ship parts/spares off to Africa.

And now that he has retired - he went back to work for them! And further more - my sister was born in the field next to Morgans........

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Crikey its true that story about women giving birth and going straight back to work.:sweat:

Dont tell me they called her Hazel:cool2:

I thought crooks sold one at the auction when they moved from the station yard. I think thats when most of the wartme stuff went. Then the article appeared in windscreen shortly after.

Might be wrong thoe it is a long time ago.

Edited by rippo