Help Bedford MJ i986 & MOT

Flav

Hi,

Can anyone help re test for MJ ,faild VOSA test due to having no Sideguards + rear under run not fitted has anyone come across this before,also can anyone give me the spec's as they told me nothing ........or pic's of one with them on ... bedford has been reduced to 7500kg apart from that standed MJ in good condition.

NEED HELP PLEASE CLOCK TICKING

cheers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Can anyone help re test for MJ ,faild VOSA test due to having no Sideguards + rear under run not fitted

I know someone who takes his MJ for test at Hastings goods vehicle testing station as has never been told about the bars. Did hear somewhere, that as the lorry is 4x4, the bars would impede cross country ability, so it is exempt, only heresay. It sounds like some VOSA stations interpret the rules how they think.

I know someone who takes his MJ for test at Hastings goods vehicle testing station as has never been told about the bars. Did hear somewhere, that as the lorry is 4x4, the bars would impede cross country ability, so it is exempt, only heresay. It sounds like some VOSA stations interpret the rules how they think.

Ive heard or read that somewhere (windscreen perhaps?)

Flav,

Further to our conversation, I have just gone through this VOSA website that Lee has linked to, go to page 11 onwards, on the HGV section and after going through the exemptions, it states several times, that the list is "not exhaustive, but covers the vehicles likely to be encountered", which leads me to come to a conclusion that there are more exemptions and a "cross country / all terrain 4x4 vehicle" could be one of them, certain forestry vehicles are mentioned.

Edited by Richard Farrant
more info

Bit of a farce when it's down to who you get on the day!

I know this particular vehicle and it passed the test at the same VOSA station last year no trouble.

Blokes just stumped up £50 for test plus fuel to get it there and usually time off work as well.

You could appeal if that was the only failure point but the most you'd get back is your test fee.

I thought the idea of an appeal was that if it was upheld you pass the test, not get your money back...

Same difference financially. You don't get your other costs back.

Would you want to have to take it back the year after though, after you've had to get shirty with them?

Not so bad with ordinary MOT stations plenty to choose from but HGV testing is a different matter. Next nearest VOSA station could be miles away.

As mentioned, Hastings was fine last year for my Militant Mk1, although they seemed to draw straws for who was going to be unlucky and have to test it! Fortunately the tester couldn't work out how to test the rear brakes (the Achilles heal through poor design), I wasn't going to tell him how, so we had a Tapley test instead! As is often the case even the so called professionals are only good at their job when in their "comfort zone". Anything out of the ordinary and they seem to struggle, and often play safe, which often wastes time and money for the owner un-necessarily.

Best of luck.

Jules

I know one member of the forum has an MJ with no sidebars, just looked at the picture to make sure. He never seems to have problems.

Just noticed that this sidebar requirement is for vehicles first used after 1st April 1984, so those MJ 's that do not have bars, may be pre-84, also don't forget the MK, which came out in early 70's, a lot of people are not aware of the difference between the two and possible refer to them all as MJ ( or vice versa).

• 1 month later...

Hi

Does anyone know of where I can get a coms full body for bedford Mj

Living in west yorkshire close to here or has someone got one stood in their yard ...seem's only way to get it through VOSA test..any help out there

please

Hi I have an MJ and it has side bars and underrun protection. The rules changed 1st April 2008, apparently! There was an ongoing discussion wrt vehicles with stabilisers such that they could be passed whilst actually failing the the requirement. From 1st April they either had a side bar, or one with a gate for the stabiliser. The ruling with respect to 4x4 was removed, I have spoken to a number of PTO's from MOT stations and VOSA, all say the same. If the vehicle was manufactured post Ist April 1984 then side bars are required. If you get away with it, I am advised that should an accident occur and a check be made you will be liable. I do have a drawing, its a poor faxed drawing showing dimensions. The guys who made mine had the regulation drawings etc. I do not have a tacho fitted, Northampton requested a dispensation from Vosa Birmingham and when I completed the MOT at Stockport I requested the same, as its a Private HGV.