Help Bedford MJ i986 & MOT

Flav

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't go buying a box body on the off chance that someone somehow managed to fudge it through the system. You need to talk to someone at the DVLA who knows what they are talking about and then do what they tell you.

Can't see any reason for an exemption just because it has a comms body:confused:

I agree with you Lee, this looks very much like another of these dodgy declaration jobs which are going to rebound and bite us all one day.:angry

• 2 months later...
Can't see any reason for an exemption just because it has a comms body:confused:

Hello mate.

Don't take this as gospel, but this is the understanding I have. I will find out soon enough as I have just bought a MJ and will be going down to VOSA on Monday as I have a trailer to get MOT'd and will ask them when I'm down there.

If you fit a comms body and fit it out as a "Motor Caravan" then it will then be exempt from requiring under run protection as it will no longer be classified as a "goods vehicle" but as a "motor caravan". I must stress that the vehicle needs to be REGISTERED as such and not be retro fitted after initial registration. I will find this out when I visit VOSA on Monday if I can.

Once the truck is fitted with a comms body, fitted out to the minimum requirement, and is REGISTERED as a Motor Caravan it will then no longer require an HGV MOT, but come under class 4 (CAR) MOT testing standards. This is regardless of "size and weight" of the vehicle. Under run devices are not part of the class 4 MOT and as such will not be tested.

The MOT "exemption" does apply for specific vehicles, and again, these need to be registered as such. But if you buy (for example a Ptarmigan Communications vehicle) and register it as a "display" or "educational" vehicle then the said vehicle will be MOT exempt.

This is only MY interpretation of the law based on research and no responsibility will be accepted for any information used herein which may prove to be incorrect or incomplete.

For the above post, here is the definition of "Motor Caravan" from the Department of Transport.

Motor caravan means a special purposes passenger car constructed to include living accommodation which contains at least the following equipment:

seats and table,

sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats,

cooking facilities, and

storage facilities.

This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment; however, the table may be designed to be easily removable.

The interpretation applied to this definition is as follows:

Seats and a Table

• Are required to be an integral part of the living accommodation area, and mounted independently of other items.
  • The table must be capable of being mounted directly to the vehicle floor and /or side wall.
  • The table mounting arrangement must be secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded), although the table may be detachable.
  • Permanently secured seating must be available for use at the table.
  • The seats must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall.
  • The seats must be secured as a permanent feature, (bolted riveted, screwed or welded).

Sleeping Accommodation

• Must be an integral part of the living accommodation area.
  • Either beds or a bed converted from seats (to form a mattress base)
  • Secured as a permanent feature, with base structures bolted, riveted, screwed or welded to the vehicle floor and / or side wall, (unless the sleeping accommodation is provided as a provision over the driver's cab compartment.

Cooking Facilities

• That are an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation and is mounted independently of other items.
  • That are secured to the vehicle floor and / or side wall.
  • Secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed, or welded.
  • The cooking facility must consist of a minimum of a two ring cooking facility or a microwave in either case having a fuel/power source.
  • If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply, the fuel supply pipe must be permanently secured to the vehicle structure.
  • If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply, the fuel reservoir must be secured in a storage cupboard or the reservoir secured to the vehicle structure.

Storage Facilities

• Storage facilities must be provided by a cupboard or locker.
  • The facility must be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation, ie mounted independently of other items, unless incorporated below seat/sleeping accommodation or the cooking facility.
  • The storage facility must be a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded).
  • The storage facility must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and / or side wall, unless a storage provision is provided over the driver's cab compartment.

This was the reply from VOSA to the UKMotorhomes website.

"A 'motor caravan' is "a motor vehicle (not being a living van) which is

constructed or adapted for the carriage of passengers and their effects and

which contains, as permanently installed equipment, the facilities which

are reasonably necessary for enabling the vehicle to provide mobile living

accommodation for its users". Motor caravans are not classed as goods

vehicles for MOT test purposes and are therefore in class IV or V depending

on their seating capacity but regardless of their size or weight.

but do you stil need a hgv licence to drive a MK/MJ registered as a motor caravan?

Mark

This is a bone of contention.

The DVLA website says that for a "motor caravan" over 7.5 tonnes then a Cat C licence is required. This could be got around by de-rating the truck to 7.5 tonnes. HOWEVER the weight of the vehicle, the comms body and all items fitted including fuel and passengers cannot exceed this weight if derated.

However, I spoke with a guy at Trucks and Troops a few weeks ago who owns a Bedford MJ in pink/sand colour and who is a Policeman. His truck is a Cargo with a home made box body under the canvas tilt. He told me that you DO NOT need an HGV licence because a "motor caravan" is NOT classed as an HGV. He said that the DVLA view is different to that of VOSA and the CU regs.

I suppose the only way to be sure is to have an HGV (like me) or to down rate it. I am going to ask the VOSA guys what they think on Monday when I have to take a trailer for an MOT. The guys at NEWBURY are supposed to be very good and a few of them are supposed to own vintage buses and motorcycles, so are enthusiastic when it comes to historic vehicles.

He told me that you DO NOT need an HGV licence because a "motor caravan" is NOT classed as an HGV. He said that the DVLA view is different to that of VOSA and the CU regs.

He's correct that the DVLA view it differently to VOSA and the C&U regs, but it's also seen differently by DSA!

You need a Cat C for any vehicle over 7.5t MAM (with very few exceptions which are listed here). The confusion arises because tax categories do not match licence descriptions, which don't match VOSA regs - your friend will not be in a happy place if he's ever stopped! The DVLA might well register it as a motor caravan but you still need the right licence.

(As an aside, registering as engineering plant means you're technically limited to 12mph on all roads, and registering as agricultural will drop you in it unless you actually own a farm - they've thought of most of the ways to dodge it already!)

As an example of how weird it gets, our Bedford is registered on the V5C as a private HGV, is exempt from having a tachograph or plating / testing because it's 'not a goods vehicle' and has a tax disc that says it's an LGV! As the plated weight is 9650kg you need a Cat C licence to drive it, which is why I'm on a training course next week :cool2: As with all these things you can probably get away with doing it illegally for a while, but why take the risk?

Stone

This is the thing Stone. It's all very well and good driving a truck that the civvy police thing is in the "service", but if someone ploughs into you and they turn up it may cause all sorts of trouble.

Good luck with your training. I take it you don't drive the truck yet then.:cool2:

This is the thing Stone. It's all very well and good driving a truck that the civvy police thing is in the "service", but if someone ploughs into you and they turn up it may cause all sorts of trouble.

Exactly. You're probably driving without insurance too :shake:

Good luck with your training. I take it you don't drive the truck yet then.:cool2:

Thank you. Only on private land! :cool2: (and I have to learn on something with 'at least 8 forward ratios' which is a bit scary!)

I'll find out tomorrow :D

Stone

I'm sure you will only be required to go through the 4 high ratio gears, as low ratio is meant for off road and heavy towing. I can't remember if you can shift from low to high on the move with the Bedford?

What truck are you going to be training on?

I passed my class one back in 1993. Straight from a car to an artic.:)

I'm sure you will only be required to go through the 4 high ratio gears, as low ratio is meant for off road and heavy towing. I can't remember if you can shift from low to high on the move with the Bedford?

On the Bedford you can switch on the move but low ratio only works in 4wd. The current DSA test specs require you to use a standard road-use transmission, so you can have four-over-four, slap-over or whatever. You have to demonstrate block changing (when appropriate) in the test as well so you can't get away just using the highest 4!

(also, I've only driven an auto for the last 4 years, so that'll be fun :D)

What truck are you going to be training on?

No idea! Their website shows some fairly elderly DAFs so I doubt it'll be anything too whizzy.

I passed my class one back in 1993. Straight from a car to an artic.:)

It's a bit scary how quickly you can do it now if you want to, once you have your medical and get your provisional you can complete the theory tests and get a test booked within a fortnight!

Stone

Met a couple in Duncannon last week with an MJ and comms body. They just tried to register it as a motorhome but the VRO office has said that under Irish regs it doesn't have enough headroom! They are waiting on a final verdict from head office, otherwise they'll take the body off and register it as a truck. Advantage with motorhome here is it's cheap road tax and MOT exempt.

"head office" is that a pun..lol

Been a while since i last drove a 4 tonner but i remember that the MJ could only manage a top speed of 50mph before the steering wheel starts to shake and also theres only 4 gears for normal road use and as you can pull off in 2nd you only use three. Hi/Low range can only be engaged at a crawl and is only really needed for cross country use.

No idea! Their website shows some fairly elderly DAFs so I doubt it'll be anything too whizzy.

Stone

Think you'll find it's something reasonably modern, you're not allowed to take a test in a truck without ABS now!