Snow Joke

Markheliops

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That brings back memories Clive, was the pic of Telegraph lane Four Marks? I used to live nearby, I remember then we were snowed in for several days, the Subaru I had at the time was brilliant in the snow.

Nearly, it was Medstead on the way to where I used to live at Upper Wield. Wife used to keep a horse in Medstead so we had to try to go there twice a day. Once those tall drifts had appeared it became unpassable. I remember trying to get home via Preston Candover & abandonning the Rover in a drift for a couple of days & having to traipse a long way through the snow to get home that night, no compliments on my driving that night!

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
From the right, it looks like a Dennis and a Maudsley not a bus enthusiast, just recognise radiators

I like old buses ,then again i like old everything,what is the facination with all this old stuff.modern stuff is far better at doing the job,but i like to imagine the people who worked on these things skilled men hand built,repairs not replace.Also the vast difference in styles,as you said you recognised the rads.So much looks the same now ,i bet the drivers would prefer the new ones though.

I like old buses ,then again i like old everything,what is the facination with all this old stuff.modern stuff is far better at doing the job,but i like to imagine the people who worked on these things skilled men hand built,repairs not replace.Also the vast difference in styles,as you said you recognised the rads.So much looks the same now ,i bet the drivers would prefer the new ones though.

Speaking as a passenger - I preferred the old RouteMasters to the modern things on our local routes. They've taken out so many seats to be "wheel chair friendly" that more people are standing than sitting and any hard braking threatens to turn the inside of the bus into a disaster area...

Given the actual amount of users in wheel chairs - at least around my way - they'd have done better just replacing every third bus with an accessible one.

As for those rotten bendy buses - everytime the council repairs the pedestrian railings a bendy bus flattens them again trying to take the corner...

Half the trouble is air suspension. Official answer to theory test 'Air suspension is les damaging to historic buildings'. Trouble is when starting off, if some **** runs across the front and you have to brake from slow speed the system hasn't equalised so kicks forward. That plus **** auto boxes that won't decide which ratio to go in at 28 mph, the officicaL tfl speed.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Catweazle,

The UK worst winter (post war) that lasted 3 months was 1962/63 which I remember well. I was living at RAF Upavon at the time

:tup:: we had a 400yd drive at the school which we had to clear i was in chelmsford,the delivery vans made it to the drive in the worst winter since 1740,unlike today,our postman told us he was instructed not to deliver to the side streets,:-D