leyland hippo gallery

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the new owner of the hippo.

I'm pleased to hear it. The Hippo is what I call a proper lorry. I admire you for driving it back to N.I. and not going for the low loader option. I've made similar journeys in lorries I've just bought, and don't know, and can well imagine the sense of relief you must have felt when you finally got home and put the handbrake on. The fact that this Hippo completed the the trip without mishap says quite a lot about the overall condition. Jim, when you have the time, would you like to post a few 'photos of your lorries. What year was the Hippo built and have you been able to find out anything about it's history while it was in the army ? Thanks.

Edited by 6 X 6

The hippo was built in 1945.I know nothing of its history but I,m sure there is some way i can find out . My bedford came from the T/A I am the first owner on its release from the T/A. It was bought at an ex M.O.D sale in Belfast.The hippo was bought on E bay in St Annes Lancs.I also have a Lister generator with a J.P.4 engine and a 110 volt dc dynamo which I belive powered searchlights during the war it was built in 1939.the generator engine is dismantled but I think complete. I hope to start rebuilding soon I will post some photo,s as soon as I find out how

The hippo was built in 1945.I know nothing of its history but I,m sure there is some way i can find out .

I'm sure there are forum members with WW11 searchlights.....maybe you should get together !

This thread may help if you would like to research the history of your Hippo.

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=7682

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

our reenactors club bought a Hippo from the UK recently. Only a couple of weeks ago it arrived in our place in Czech Republic. It needs some working on but it runs so hopefuly it will be on the road again soon. We have started the restoration already.

On the second page of this thread I found a picture of the MK1 Hippo which seems to be very rare model. Does anybody know of any surviving example? Any more pictures of this type please? What are the differences from the MK2 apart from the open cab, different spare wheel holder and tanks?

Cheers Dusan

001.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

our reenactors club bought a Hippo from the UK recently. Only a couple of weeks ago it arrived in our place in Czech Republic. It needs some working on but it runs so hopefuly it will be on the road again soon. We have started the restoration already.

On the second page of this thread I found a picture of the MK1 Hippo which seems to be very rare model. Does anybody know of any surviving example? Any more pictures of this type please? What are the differences from the MK2 apart from the open cab, different spare wheel holder and tanks?

Cheers Dusan

Dusan

I brought the other hippo which was on ebay, tasha and I have 2 now.

regds

Julian

• 2 months later...
Hi Nigel,

How did your trainee Leyland driver get on with your Martian? :)

Sadly I was not able to get to the show this year.

regards, Richard

Hello Richard, Well the boy did good. Amazingly the martian did struggle to keep up with the hippo on the journey to and from the show! Nelly put this down to the size of it (not sure if he meant him or the truck!) But hope to attend again with the pair of leyland's next year. Shame you couldn't make it there this year. Neil told me last thing on sunday that he was terrified that i was going to put a "lost person" announcement over the PA like you did the previous year! And to meet him at the lost childen's tent! poor little chap!

Glad you had a good run back Dave. See you at the next gdsf!!

Hello Richard, Well the boy did good.

Hi Nigel,

I think he enjoyed driving it, by all accounts when I spoke to him this week. Your Hippo has a fair turn of speed, from my recollections of the trip to a New Forest pub a couple of years ago. The Martian would be quite a bit heavier. Will try to get there next year hopefully.

He will never forget that PA announcement.........as was not impressed by it !!

regards, Richard

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is the place for this tale of long ago----but I'm telling it .

Long , long ago , when Britain had a narmy and a nempire , I was posted to Hong Kong to be wiv me bruvver . I was in the Raf and he was a pongo . Er , an army chap , a Sapper to be precise .

I was stationed at Sek Kong , and he was at Tai Lam Chung .

Sapper Morgan (Bill) had a pedigree pet called a Hippo . He slept with it , cherished it and would let no-one else touch it . He used to give me rides in it with the blessing of his CO who was a marvellous chap .

In the New Territories , HK , there are two towns (Tsun Wan and Sek Kong) joined by a military road over the highest mountain there (Tai Mo Shan) . The road was known as the TWSK , or twist by the lads , because it was bends and sharper bends all the way up and down . So bad that our supply tankers were forbidden to use it , except once a year to see if it could be done No health and safety there , then .

Bill's nemesis was a particularly nasty rsm , he even tried rollocking me once , but that's another story .

Bill's Hippo was fitted with an engine limiter --supposedly to limit its top speed but not helpful when double de clutching .The limiter could be disconnected from in the cab .

Bill had to take part in a convoy over TWSK and the RSM picked Bill's Hippo as his steed .

Bill said that he was supposed to kill the limiter on such a road , but clever

rsm overruled him .

So Bill let the thing loose going downhill , and as the speed built up , rsm kept tapping speedometer with his pace stick , looking more and more alarmed .

Which is just what Bill wanted ..He told the idiot that he couldn't get enough revs to change down because of the limiter . By this time , rsm is panicky enough to tell Bill to do what he had to .

You can guess the rest .

The sequel to this was that Bill got into trouble with rsm , only saved by CO .

I took the trouble a couple of days later to beat up the camp in a Vampire , coincidentally the rsm had his head under some truck rollocking someone and he banged his head as he shot up in fright .

Needless to say , I never had to buy another drink at Bill's camp .

Nice truck , the Hippo , it leads to adventures galore .

Here are the pictures I have of my old hippos. If anybody is looking for a rear cargo body off of a mk2b hippo please contact me as I know where one is sat rotting, I drove a lot of miles in my old hippos and enjoyed every moment of it they are a great truck fun to drive and with the transfer box turned round will just about keep up with modern traffic.,

hippos2_thumb.jpg

hippos_thumb.jpg