youngguns explorer blog

younggun

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

work has not yet started on this project floyd has just been washed oiled up and wrapped up in his cacoon so the transformation can begin :cool2: will keep things up to date as possible on here most likely i will be seeking info and advice from many people as i want this to be the mutts nutts

nick

Edited by younggun

well me and oldgun have been chaseing doner trucks and engines. didant come home with any thing as yet as we got messed about with the first truck we looked at .

but have now found a l10 250 in an atkinson and many 290s and 325s which are sat on the floor.

doser simply removeing the intercooler from a 325 make it a 290 ? and what makes the diffrerence between a 250 and 290. can a 250 be tweeked to a 290 ?

sorry about the stupid questions

nick

Edited by younggun

Not too sure how the figures are arrived at myself but some types of external damper models (called Fixed Time) have a water/air after-cooler hidden inside the intake manifold, identifiable by the water connections.

Mine is the STC type which does not have this feature and no external inter-cooler was used in the donor truck, although the data plate says it is a 290. I am puzzled as to how it can produce this amount of power (if it does), I have seen 220 versions that look the just same as mine.

Another type called CELECT has electronic control identified by a square box on the l/h side of the block and no coolant pipes to the manifold, presumably these use a separate inter-cooler.

When looking at engines on the floor it would be easy to make the wrong choice, obviously a donor truck is best, I would think most inter-coolers would fit in place of an Explorer oil cooler which would become redundant any way, and for the rev counter which is type specific I believe.

Then there are the internal damped types of which I know nothing..

Studying the manual for clues, this may take a while....

very interesting reading that bernard the ones i have looked at on the floor today which i can see runnning if i wish . are non electric and have an external intercooler . i did not manage to get the cab up on the atkinson but it has a 250 hp cummins l10 which i can see running and then just have it choped so i end up with the usefull bits and no junk. but if i end if with the 250 i will just have to go to halfords and raid the fake numbers to badge it up as a 290 :angel:

i was thinking that the hp output must be either down to size of turbo or something to do with pump ?

Edited by younggun

It'll be the inter-cooler or pump, not the turbo, apparently if you had a Cummins rebuild they would adjust the output to your requirements...within reason:D.

edit

second thoughts, the pump only supplies constant pressure as per common rail, so injector settings would seem to be the key to hp, more reading needed.

Edited by gritineye

second thoughts, the pump only supplies constant pressure as per common rail, so injector settings would seem to be the key to hp, more reading needed.

ahh that mite explain the need for one of these then http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CUMMINS-INJECTOR-ADJUSTER-KIT-/370472861801?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Generators_ET&hash=item5641e74069:D

Hi Nick.

This is the same tool that is used on the Leyland T45 290bhp and scammell S24 350 big Cam,and 400 NTE cummins engines. If you need any info give me a shout as i have some info on it from one of my Big Cam engine manuals. just PM me your home email and i'll fire it over to you. the only thing that looks like is missing in that kit is the angled adaptor for the dial gauge but i'm sure i have a spare in my kit in the van.

The cummins Number for the kit on ebay is 3375842 if you are going to buy it check with Cummins at wellingbourgh that this is the correct kit for the engine as there are 5 or 6 different ones with different attachments in the kit.

Hope this helps

Clive

Edited by protruck

Hi Nick.

This is the same tool that is used on the Leyland T45 290bhp and scammell S24 350 big Cam,and 400 NTE cummins engines. If you need any info give me a shout as i have some info on it from one of my Big Cam engine manuals. just PM me your home email and i'll fire it over to you. the only thing that looks like is missing in that kit is the angled adaptor for the dial gauge but i'm sure i have a spare in my kit in the van.

The cummins Number for the kit on ebay is 3375842 if you are going to buy it check with Cummins at wellingbourgh that this is the correct kit for the engine as there are 5 or 6 different ones with different attachments in the kit.

Hope this helps

Clive

thanks for the info clive just trying to understand how u uprate an L10 the job its self is problerly best left to some one with a bit more understanding than me :D

Hows about a nice gardener 6LW, Nice and steady:sleep:, economical:flowers:, reliable:saluting:. You could leave it ticking over while we all sit round it drinking tea with digestives.:D

well the only problem with that rob is that i am really not one for digestives i am more of a jammy dogger / custard cream kinda guy i need a little extra in my biscuit and i spose that goes for my engines too .:cool2:

any way i got fed up of tripping over gardners while looking for an l10 the other day, poxy things are everywhere

Edited by younggun

Hi Nick.

There is one on fle bay. Item number 230570915229

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230570915229&ru=http://shop.ebay.co.uk:80/%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D230570915229%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_500wt_1156

Not sure what slit hole is.

Hope this helps

Clive

Edited by protruck

That engine has the type of front mount you need, and the vertical mounting faces cast on the clutch housing are good (some are sloping) , but the fixed fan mount is a problem, the belt driven one is easily moved up to suit the rad cowl.

i am looking for the same fan mounts and engine mounts as yours bernard cant the front mount be changed ? i am sending oldgun out to check out the atkinson tomorow as i am stuck in scotland till sataday

Front mount bracket can be changed easily, I hadn't seen that type so modified mine which uses two rubber mountings, not so neat at all...:(

Keep pushing hards with the van mate, you've got a lot to do at home...

Edited by gritineye

Front mount bracket can be changed easily, I hadn't seen that type so modified mine which uses two rubber mountings, not so neat at all...:(

i know where i can find rite front mountaings just means i have to find the rite rear and fan mount now