youngguns explorer blog

younggun

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the scabby yellow one is he on this forum? And what donkey is has the last one in the line been fitted with? The front end had been lifted, mabey to clear a sunp ect?

hey rob the scabby yellow one as u put it is on its first rally out after being saved. a full nut and bolt restoration is soon to begin . it belongs to my mates better half who runs the red C.S ELLIS explorer . they towed it on a straight bar to the show 20 miles each way , after 20 years it still holds air better than mine :shocked:

the one at the rear of the line is powered by a gardner 6lw can,t see y the front has been raised tho because the sump clears the axel with loads to spare ,

as u can see by the hint of black smoke pump is now getting pleatny of fuel :cool2:

nick

Edited by younggun

as u can see by the hint of black smoke pump is now getting pleatny of fuel :cool2:

nick

It was going to take a lot of tree planting to go carbon neutral with a Scammell anyway so you might as well just forget it!

:rofl:

Ah.. met the bloke with the CS ellis explorer last year at llandudno rally and his missus. Not a single explorer there this year:embarrassed: see you have a working cluch brake on you truck i'd have no chance changing down gears like that with mine.

oh i have been researching meadows engines and the 6dc630 seems to have been made in a few different specs over the years and i remember finding a plate on mine saying it had been brought up to blah blah blah specification ect ect however meadows made the later engines 160 hp.........nice:D fingers crossed eh need to find that engine plate again:cool2:

Ah.. met the bloke with the CS ellis explorer last year at llandudno rally and his missus. Not a single explorer there this year:embarrassed: see you have a working cluch brake on you truck i'd have no chance changing down gears like that with mine.

oh i have been researching meadows engines and the 6dc630 seems to have been made in a few different specs over the years and i remember finding a plate on mine saying it had been brought up to blah blah blah specification ect ect however meadows made the later engines 160 hp.........nice:D fingers crossed eh need to find that engine plate again:cool2:

i remember there is a plate on mine saying it has been rebuilt at some point. my cluch brake sort of works not all the time tho that vid was taken on the sunday i screwed the satadays gearchange up a bit and came to a stop :blush: sorry u were disapointed at llandudno this year. think the plan is to invade the place again next year :-D pleanty of time to get yours done .

i dont have a carbon footprint i have a carbon truck print with bar grips on it :-D

Edited by younggun

Well i am working flat out on it at the mo so fingers crossed.....To be honest i think both our ageing donkeys are putting out a few more horses than they should:cool2: but then by modern standards they are rather piss poor, but they do sound nice though all down to it being a 6 cylinder with a square stroke farting through a drain pipe:D

Your right the ramp just clears the locker if the ground were a bit wetter and there by softer you would likely have scraped the locker badly . Seems if the ramp was bolted construction you could reduce it enough to store it onboard somewhere , perhaps the track locker ? It should be standard issue to show off the Scammells flexability !!!! Well done .

Your right the ramp just clears the locker if the ground were a bit wetter and there by softer you would likely have scraped the locker badly . Seems if the ramp was bolted construction you could reduce it enough to store it onboard somewhere , perhaps the track locker ? It should be standard issue to show off the Scammells flexability !!!! Well done .

Make one in two halves that bolt together (up ramp and down ramp) and they could double as wheel chocks for winching operations. Surprised the Explorers don't carry some form of wheel chocks as standard equipment anyway!

see you have a working cluch brake on you truck i'd have no chance changing down gears like that with mine.

Rob I know the Welsh like to be different but the clutch brake is used to slow the gearbox and centre plate down when changing up not down and to stop the gearbox turning if engaging a gear when stationary.:-)

Oh yeah....:red: Got me self all confused there for a moment doh! It's the up changes that bugger me up cos the bloomin engine takes so long to drop it's revs. So for now i only use the clutch to start and stop and do all the gear changey stuff on the throttle. i'll have to sort the cluch brake one day as i can see myself plodding up a hill in 4th cos i can't slap it into 5th before the truck stops rolling:-(

P.S i'm not welsh i just live here!!

Make one in two halves that bolt together (up ramp and down ramp) and they could double as wheel chocks for winching operations. Surprised the Explorers don't carry some form of wheel chocks as standard equipment anyway!

Explorers of course do come with their own wheel chocks, namely the scotch pans which go under the front wheels, and are secured with a hawser/chain to hooks either side on the rear of the chassis. Also 2 of the 4 gun planks carried on most Explorers can be dug in between the rear wheel pairs either side, helping to secure the truck for winching operations.

Jules

• 3 months later...

You'd have thought with all the fun he's been having he'd would have posed the odd piccy or vidio to give us statics some insparation. Perhaps he dosen't want to play with us now his truck moves:embarrassed: Come on Andy lets go sit in the cab and make engine noises:pfrt:

You'd have thought with all the fun he's been having he'd would have posed the odd piccy or vidio to give us statics some insparation. Perhaps he dosen't want to play with us now his truck moves:embarrassed: Come on Andy lets go sit in the cab and make engine noises:pfrt:

your just jelous :kiss:

i keep meaning too post an update of wot i have been up too rob but i never seem to be at home at the momment

i am due to start takeing thigs apart again soon over the winter need to get my living acomadation finished aswell .

hers a few pics just to keep u happy tho rob :-D

GDSFPlayPen-030910_(115)_Scammells_(Large)[1].JPG

GDSFPlayPen-030910_(37)_Nick_(Large)[1].JPG

GDSFPlayPen-030910_(112)_Scammells_(Large)[1].JPG

GDSFPlayPen-030910_(103)_Scammells_(Large)[1].JPG

GDSFPlayPen-030910_(40)_Nick_(Large)[1].JPG

Looks like you've been having a whale of a time what with being pushed up that hill at dorset and bursting the tyres on that trailer.....just how big was the curb you hit:cool2: you know you've gotr it fastened on the wrong end don't you? you'll end up with a stiff neck like that:D

Rob stop showing off , just cos you have a cab to sit in ! :D

and bursting the tyres on that trailer.....just how big was the curb you hit:cool2:

cheeky sod :pfrt:

i found pushing the trailer was much more fun than toweing it but after about two laps of the ring the brain rearly starts to hurt from concentrating its like that brain training game u can get but for big boys :cool2: great trailer tho i wanted to take it home with me

• 3 weeks later...

hello all

well as some of u may allready know floyd is once more suffering from a blown head gasket

we had a nice little run out down to avon dassett to meet up with dep ( c.s eliss explorer ) and then run across to hollowell bonfire bash ran down to dasset with no problems at all soon aft

er leaveing dasset floyd starting spewing water out the top of the rad cap took it a bit steady after that to see if it was just getting a bit hotter than usueal but a closer inspection at hollowell found two head bolts with fulid bubleing around them .

ran the 60 od mile back home with the rad cap off and got back in one peice with no more problems . truck seems to be running better than ever at the momment ,

but the question is now what to do next ?

i do think maybee i am asking a bit much of my poor old meadows :cry:

i am going to try another retorque did it once after a couple of gd runs out after the first time i did the gasket there is no oil in the water just the cooling system being pressurised at the momment gonna try another retorque but i dont think its going to help

i know some people wont like me saying this but i think i am goin to start to think about a replacement for the meadows :shocking:

Thought you had the heads skimmed and all sorted out. sure the pumps ok ect before you get all depressed

yea had heads skimed all was done to the best of my ability definity not the water pump has i had that apart aswell and mine is a petrol water pump the van is going round so the pump is goin round

i know some people wont like me saying this but i think i am goin to start to think about a replacement for the meadows :shocking:

Now now don't be rash:shocked: we'll have none of that silly talk>:( But on the other hand if you are going to put a leyland 680 in it i'll look after your old meadows for you :cool2: ( cue vultures circling over folyd:evil:)

Now now don't be rash:shocked: we'll have none of that silly talk>:( But on the other hand if you are going to put a leyland 680 in it i'll look after your old meadows for you :cool2: ( cue vultures circling over folyd:evil:)

thinking about going down the more mondern engine route at the momment i mite be able to keep up with some of the mad explorer owners that live around these parts i would rearly like to get the meadows out of the truck and give it a full rebuild but just dont to want to miss out on the rallys while i do it ;)

what would you be fitting? Something in the 150 - 200hp range? I would go for the leyland myself as loads have been done and they are easy to come by and cheap. next choice would be a small Rolls I would stay away from huge horse power unless you have a good supply of gearboxes:cool2:

yea had heads skimed all was done to the best of my ability definity not the water pump has i had that apart aswell and mine is a petrol water pump the van is going round so the pump is goin round

If it still does it after checking head torque, try using K-Seal HD, it is brilliant stuff, seals leaks no problem, does not block up system like the old type sealers. Go to a good motor factors who do commercial parts, the HD grade is for the large engines, you need to check the capacity of your cooling system to make sure you use the correct quantity for best effect. Try contacting them at enquiries@kalimex.co.uk and explaining your problem.