The restoration of my 1944 Clark airborne dozer

42 chevy

I got this dozer 2 years ago. All new sheetmetal was fabricated for it, and the only "original piece" left was the radiator shroud.

The dozer was was stripped down to the frame. The final drive was rebuilt and the forward and reverse clutches were repaired. The tracks were repaired.

Alot of "farm engineering" had to be removed. I am currently working on rebuilding teh Braden winch.

John Gott

left side.JPG

left side (2).JPG

seat as delivered.JPG

right rear.JPG

seat frame battery box.jpg

original left side ballast box.JPG

new seat.jpg

IMGP1419_edited.jpg

diamond t pics 017.JPG

new top end sheet metal.jpg

The leaf springs had to be rebuilt, as they were broken. A NOS carb and govenor were installed. The hydralic cylinders were rebuilt, using modern seals, but they the cylinders look original on the outside.

the last few pics are of my son this past Spring "playing" with his dozer at the Tuckhoe Gas and Steam show in Easton, Maryland.

• 2 years later...
I got this dozer 2 years ago. All new sheetmetal was fabricated for it, and the only "original piece" left was the radiator shroud.

The dozer was was stripped down to the frame. The final drive was rebuilt and the forward and reverse clutches were repaired. The tracks were repaired.

Alot of "farm engineering" had to be removed. I am currently working on rebuilding teh Braden winch.

John Gott

I love the Mustang!!

Yes, the Mrs. really enjoys her "toy".

Not quite in the same category but yes, my replica version of Shelby's wildlife and a GT40. There was a promise of a half-built

Daytona coupe kit but it fell by the wayside.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26952&d=1273692932&thumb=1

Edited by montie
platinum blonde's!

On my list of esoteric equipment that I wish to own, candidates such as a Muir Hill loader backhoe and the Eager Beaver are up there but after seeing one of these AND the scraper bowl that goes with it at Tobyhanna in Pensylvania around '97 I fell in love for one.

Understand your joy for it and admire the craftmanship involved in sorting it out.

Sadly after just buying some land for a future house im kinda skint this week, oh yes dont forget I bought a pair of Ferrets over the winter!

Will GMAC do financing on it?

R

Edited by robin craig

After several inquires about the work that was done to the dozer, here is a list:

All new sheetmetal fabricated, except for the raditor shround (you see that in the pictures)

lift cylinders rebuilt with new internall components (they look "original" on the outside)

new hydralic lines and fittings, I kept the orginal compression fittings

new leaf springs were made

correct air cleaner installed

forward and reverse clutches were adjusted

new brake bands were installed in the final drives

track links were repaired

track pads were attached with new hardware

Braden winch was rebuilt, I have not installed it yet.

The dozer runs off the battery, the generaor is installed but I have not hooked it up .

correct gauges and switches installed

The drive sprockets are worn but functional

4 roller wheels are missing, (very hard to find)

I tink that baout covers it.

John Gott

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

John Gott

Hello,

Exceptional work on the restoration. I realize its an older post and you sold the dozer. i recently purchased one and am looking for parts. Where did you have the seat canvas made? Did you find a source for clutch parts? How about the tracks, did you end up making new pins and bushings? Thanks in advance for so many questions. It looks like you do superb work. I will have to tackle some metal work as well and have a lot to learn. I posted a photo of my project which will begin some time next summer after my move to NM.

Thanks

oz

2954550820103484309S600x600Q85.jpg

I have provided a link to a company that I got several parts from along with the reproduction seat parts. I made my own pins and I fixed the bushings. Engine parts are very hard to come by and most sheet metal that is available is in poor shape. The track pads are specific to this machine along with the track rollers.

http://www.syltech.net/mission.htm

John Gott