I might be looking for a new job

Lord Burley

Well it seems that my days at New Covent Garden Market may be over,as today it was announced that the U.S Goverment and the U.K Goverment have signed a deal to build the new U.S Embassy in Nine Elms Wandsworth.The new embassy will be twice the size of the existing embassy in Grosvenor sq,which will be sold off by the U.S treasury.MAFF have been stalling for months on redeveloping work on the market.This deal could well spend the end,if its on the market site.Oh well off to get a job at the embassy as a cleaner.

Good luck if you have to go job hunting mate - I've been doing it for the last few months without any luck whatsoever. Actually been told off the record whilst leaving a couple of interviews that I'd have had the job if I wasn't the wrong side of 50. Thought age discrimination was illegal - seems I was wrong!!

Problem is all the flash young executives, you probably know more than them. The local college is doing a Modern history course, I thought it would keep the brain working so was talking with one of the department heads. Part of the syllabus is the Versaille treaty, I was chatting about it, then the guy told me forget it. When I asked why he said I'd proably embaress the lecturer with my knowledge.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Start up yourself,you can rent our place ,we are doing sweat fanny adams,i can go and be a man of leasure then,its what i deserve.:idea:

Start up yourself,you can rent our place ,we are doing sweat fanny adams,i can go and be a man of leasure then,its what i deserve.:idea:
What do i do when they start developing your site.Your not still under the illusion,that once your gone,every thing will still be hunky dory and everything will still remain the same?.Come on wise one.Follow that old proverb"situations change".

I've been told that, your age makes you to experienced! You can always try bus driving, at least it pays reasonably well.

Lord Burley might be able to - but I can't! Crown Service left me with temporal lobe epilepsy which, whilst I have a full driving license to age 65 means I can't get my PSV or HGV back - ever (as things stand right now). :cry: :cry: :cry:

Damned annoying as the local bus & coach firms all are crying out for drivers.............

Well it seems that my days at New Covent Garden Market may be over,as today it was announced that the U.S Goverment and the U.K Goverment have signed a deal to build the new U.S Embassy in Nine Elms Wandsworth.The new embassy will be twice the size of the existing embassy in Grosvenor sq,which will be sold off by the U.S treasury.MAFF have been stalling for months on redeveloping work on the market.This deal could well spend the end,if its on the market site.Oh well off to get a job at the embassy as a cleaner.

Not a problem - good time to start your own business. Safer than working for someone......

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
What do i do when they start developing your site.Your not still under the illusion,that once your gone,every thing will still be hunky dory and everything will still remain the same?.Come on wise one.Follow that old proverb"situations change".

No your quite right,it wouldnt work for you,i started with £80 in a tin shed i put up myself,With the risk of being moved out every month.If you couldnt get enough custom in 2yrs to finance another property,best you go and clean the bogs in the embassy:-D

Looks like the story here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/3123579/US-to-move-London-embassy-from-Grosvenor-Square-to-new-building-in-Wandsworth.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/new-us-embassy-to-be-built-in-london-949360.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article4870269.ece

All is subject to both planning consent (I guess that's a given from the current UK Gov't) and US Senate funding approval!!!

Edited by ArtistsRifles
URL's added

Good luck if you have to go job hunting mate - I've been doing it for the last few months without any luck whatsoever. Actually been told off the record whilst leaving a couple of interviews that I'd have had the job if I wasn't the wrong side of 50. Thought age discrimination was illegal - seems I was wrong!!

No, your not wrong, their not allowed to ask your age on the application form & if you are sort listed, your sex which ever it is, should not be on the paper work either..

I heard a rumour that they were going to build the new embassy in the countryside somewhere, obviously wrong!

I reckon the will relocate the fruit and veg market somewhere else, it's a big market after all.

Good luck for the future.

The market is big.But not in the quota of firms that occupy it.There has been stalling for a few years now on redevelopment work on the market.My theroy is,that the developers are waiting to see how many firms will go to the wall(and they do yearly),and then they will come up with the argument that the market.As it stands is to small to trade as a whole sale market and ship it out to Bromley(one of the proposed new sites)And then they will have 57 1/2 acres of prime real estate.The fruit and veg game has been dying for years.Not helped by the fact that successive goverments have failed to stop the monopoly by the supermarkets to dictate to the grower and the wholesaler who supplys them.This doesnt happen in France or Italy,where by law,supermarket chains are made to buy from the wholesaler.This way the farmer and the wholesaler get a fair price.Unlike here,where the wholesaler is cut out,and the grower gets screwed for every pound.So no.Its one business i wouldnt like to start up in.

To be honest neil.those storys are old,because the planning consent has already been granted.Ther are to possible sites.The fruit and veg market.Or the old office of information on Nine Elms Lane.In the original brief from the U.S,it was sited that the new building should be built away from the main road,for security reasons.That would mean the market.