Cleaning up aluminium

david052

Question

Hello

Just a quick question, to which I am sure there is a quick answer. I have an aluminium heat shield from my engine bay which has a few knocks and dents and general cooked in dirt. As I like the engine bay to be reasonably clean and shiny what is the best way to clean it up without resorting to buffing with a wire cup brush and getting it covered in scratches?

Thanks

12 answers to this question

This may sound odd but any slightly acidic household cleaner that states "Do not use on aluminium" or some such will help - they're just paranoid about discolouration in posh kitchens.

Products like 'Mr Muscle' work well on sand-cast motorcycle engines. I prefer to use fine Scotch-brite rather than steel wool which can leave particles that rust.

Do not use wire wool as you will leave small particles of steel embedded in the alloy, mix this with a bit of moisture and you have a battery and lots of white powder that used to be aluminium. Scotch-Brite is the best as various grades are available.

Alan

30+ Years experience removing corrosion from vintage flying machines

If you can get hold of some........... try neat Bio Diesel. It cleaned up the aluminium on the side of my artic trailer a treat. It isn't corrosive like some cleaners and is obviously oil soluble. All you have to do is soak it in submersion and leave it. It also cleans brass very well too. :)

Stuff I know will clean it up... ALI Shine from Autosmart (valeting supplies) its lethal! and will strip anything off metal (corrosion etc) not for use on ALI! ironic with the name!

I cleaned a bed on a low loader with it (check plate) and came up like new

about £30 for 5L

General Contact details

Autosmart International Ltd, Lynn Lane, Shenstone, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS14 0DH

Tel: 01543 481616

Fax: 01543 481549

General Email: info@autosmart.co.uk

John Tattum is the South East rep, mention me if you call him:)