looking for pictures of 1947 Bedford military lorry

cllff

hi,

I'm an illustrator.

and I definitely could use some help.

'hope you guys bear with my little chat.

I'm busy trying to adapt a novel (into a graphic-novel or rather a comic-book) by a British writer who fancies to drop hints at anything British which does, without a doubt, efficiently flavors his text.

I don't mind that, on the contrary, but as someone who was born and lives on the continent, it's a real drag when it comes to collect the info.

I'm currently looking for pictures of a "1947 Bedford two-ton military lorry with a khaki canvas canopy" if there is such a model (that's one thing I'm not even sure of).

the picture(s) can be recent or not, issued from a magazine or not, I intend to use it (them) into a (digital!) collage.

it doesn't matter if the document shows a bit a wear.

I was recommended to check this place (thank you SnowtracDave) and I'm glad I did. this is a great forum.

I hope somebody can help with this research so I can complete my proposal to that publisher, but in any case, thank you all for your attention.

laurent

hi,

I'm an illustrator.

and I definitely could use some help.

'hope you guys bear with my little chat.

I'm busy trying to adapt a novel (into a graphic-novel or rather a comic-book) by a British writer who fancies to drop hints at anything British which does, without a doubt, efficiently flavors his text.

I don't mind that, on the contrary, but as someone who was born and lives on the continent, it's a real drag when it comes to collect the info.

I'm currently looking for pictures of a "1947 Bedford two-ton military lorry with a khaki canvas canopy" if there is such a model (that's one thing I'm not even sure of).

the picture(s) can be recent or not, issued from a magazine or not, I intend to use it (them) into a (digital!) collage.

it doesn't matter if the document shows a bit a wear.

I was recommended to check this place (thank you SnowtracDave) and I'm glad I did. this is a great forum.

I hope somebody can help with this research so I can complete my proposal to that publisher, but in any case, thank you all for your attention.

laurent

Hi Laurent;

Don't think Bedford did a strictly military two tonner, they did produce the model WH, (from about 1936)which when offered to the military became the basis of the MW 15cwt.

If this is the model you are looking for pic's for, take a look in the Military Mayhem thread, and you'll find pic's of a couple of them. :)

Failing that, get back to me, and I'll see what I can do.

All the best,

Andy

The Bedford OXD was a 30cwt type used by the army, the RAF used the 30cwt Bedford MSC which they classified as GS Tender.

30cwt is 1.5tons.

The only listing I can find for a 2 ton Bedford is a type ML but I have no photo or other information, perhaps Richard (Kewelde) can help on this.

The Bedford OXD was a 30cwt type used by the army, the RAF used the 30cwt Bedford MSC which they classified as GS Tender.

30cwt is 1.5tons.

The only listing I can find for a 2 ton Bedford is a type ML but I have no photo or other information, perhaps Richard (Kewelde) can help on this.

Laurent,

You are asking for a picture of a 1947 Bedford 2-ton military lorry, so to be specific for the year 1947, the OX was not made after 1941-42, MW ceased in 1945. Now the attached picture is from a 1947 Bedford manual and is of a K type 2 tonner, which I know the army had because I came across the remains of one from an army apprentice school with its contract plate still on it. all you have to do is draw in a canvas tilt. It was a commercial type truck with no particular "military" fittings on it.

Bedford K type.jpg

thank you all.

I'm amazed at how prompt the response was.

I certainly wasn't expecting such a welcome, Tony B.

Thank you so much, Richard. I think I'll go with the ML, since the script seems to have quite a long dropside as a requirement.

As for the pics of the K you might have, Les, they would be much welcome as well if you ever can track them down since I could use some extra info as to what the cabin looks like (especially seats and wheel) as well as the tailboard.

I'm not sure I am (actually I'm sure I'm not) the next Bill Mauldin, but here's a link to the website of my French rep, so you can see what my illustration work looks like:

http://www.illustrissimo.com

if I can be of any help...

thanks again.

laurent cilluffo

Hi Laurent

These photos show the KC 30 cwt these were basically the pre war model released on to the civilian market after the war and the army and raf and i believe navy all purchased batches during the late 1940s early 1950s. Most if not all the ML trucks used by the army were requisitioned vehicles but in 1939 they did purchse a small number of fuel tankers as shown here with the canvas tilt over the tank this illustration will give you an idea of the camouflage used at the time , a green disruptive pattern over dark earth or dark khaki

cheers

Les

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

hmvf3.jpg

thanks a lot, Les, for providing those.

I just think that those machines really looked great and I believe it's not nostalgia only.

how unconfortable they may have been, compared to today's vehicles is another matter.

thanks again for the help.

I really do appreciate.

laurent

Possibly Les or another member could I.D. this one for me please ??

THe TV in my caption is just my filing title TV =towing vehicle

TED

Hi Ted,

This photo is of a Bedford ML 2/3 ton truck. It has a census number prefixed with "L" so looks to be Army, perhaps it is in use by the Army Fire Service, hence why the photo is titled "towing vehicle".

Hi Richard I was hoping it was an ML . Its a pretty early war picture. The trailer pump is a Dennis. On the outbreak of war like their civillian counterparts, the Army pressed into service all manner of vehicle to tow each units allocation of trailer pumps. You will note the pump appears to be grey. All pumps of this nature for the Armed forces and other HMG ministries and Dept were tagged onto the Home Office orders for the civillian Emergenct Fire Organisation, procurement was through the Office(later Min) of Works. no matter who was to be the recipient they were delivered in Dk Ad grey tint 32 and bore a HO serial which had to be quoted on all spares request. From the piccy it looks like L16----

would it have been impressed ??

TED

ps it was me that gave it the title towing vehicle it came to me uncaptioned

thanks a lot Tony.

would anybody know of a website (or if somebody can share some pictures... it's for reference only this time) where I could get some pictures of uniforms of the British Army?

I'm especially looking for a blazer as well as trousers and the cap, a Major could have worn during the 60's.

thanks.

laurent