Gunboat engine rebuild (again)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Eau de Derv and fish, chips and mushy peas.....you really know how to impress a girl CW:wow: I assume you mean the latest RN Destroyer, saw a clip on the news of her entering Portsmouth and an interview with the Captain.....he must have been attending a 'do' as he was wearing medals rather than ribbons.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was freezing down there today but eventualy got the bstd going it took nearly 20 min unusual for it to play up like that.The Navys new boat one billion pounds of our money,the two boats behind me belong to retired people and are up for sale,the bottoms fell out of there pension,Something not right about our system somewhere.Also Hilyards been around for a Hundred years,used to make lifeboats,moved to our yard at Gosport,now gone bust.:cry:

Who can spot the series one part on the engine.

Navys new boat just for you Deryck.froze me nuts of getting that.:-D

th_StartYaBstd.jpg

Hi CW,

I saw you using "Start yer B*stard" :nono:, and shouting at it don't help either :-D

It helped me,what about the S1 part ? no one will ever spot it.:-D

Not into S1, I bet it is some obsure pipe clip or something that cannot be seen :-D

No its fairly obvious,just keeping the pressure up.Whats your analysis on the smoke.?

Good to see it's all back together and working again.

Doesn't seem to be smoking at idle, once warmed up, like you thought it would.

Your right it may be a bit better,will get a better idea on the next cold start now all the crap is run out of it.Worrying not having found the reason though.:-D

No its fairly obvious,just keeping the pressure up.Whats your analysis on the smoke.?

Is it that aluminium elbow, right in front of the camera? I would expect smoke for a while after you have had it apart, with oil used on assembly, rings disturbed, etc. and being cold needs a good warm up and a run. Actually it was no more smokey than I would expect with a cold engine, seen worse. I don't suppose you had time to take it out today?

The forecast was Force 7 South east,would make for a fun ride if you wasnt testing but to risky for a sea trial.The header tank cap just happens to be the same as S1.:-D

Crikey, with all that smoke, we were unlikely to even see the header tank :-D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:still got a headache.:shake:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:still got a headache.:shake:

With all that smoke you're lucky its only a headache, it would have killed me.

Thanks for the special request spot,:tup:: nice to see where all my moneys gone but no chance of getting a ride in her:-X:mad:

Just read all twenty six pages of this subject. Fascinating reading for someone like myself. (A mechanic of many years) If I was the one doing the engine, I'd be so peed off at having to do it all again that I wouldn't have been able to document it in the way you did. Top marks to you for all the excellent photography and having the patience to reply to all the suggestions and comments.

I couldn't think why the problem occurred either but wish you all the best with this overhaul, and hope it was something freaky that caused it. I really hate it when there is no obvious explanation for a fault. Of course it would only happen when the engine is installed in this way. If it was a generator or something easy to work on; it wouldn't have happened.

My biggest surprise was that the engine is indirect injection. Something I normally associate with small engines. I wonder why they decided to fuel it in this way. Is it a particularly high revving engine?

Thanks again for a fascinating topic.

My biggest surprise was that the engine is indirect injection. Something I normally associate with small engines. I wonder why they decided to fuel it in this way. Is it a particularly high revving engine?

Thanks again for a fascinating topic.

Thanks for your comments,it helps to know people are interested.I dont know why they went for pre combustion chambers,in smaller engines it does make them a bit quieter,hardly relevent in this case.when you look at the design for 1968 it was complicated.I think it turned out too sophisticated and expensive for the application.They went back to simple push rod V8s after that.I think what they do have is masses of bottom end compaired to what else was available at the time.Just one engine in a scrapper was all that was needed.The Oshcosh 8 wheel foam tender had two engines but twin turbos ,it did 100mph.If this engine was made today

and electronicaly controlled it would make 800hp easily.The top revs are 2.200 high i supose compaired to the 1.200rpm of other engines at the time,but not by todays standard.The remarkable thing is it does 15 knts at 1.500rpm,the turbo is only just coming on song ,the last 700 rpm then

more than doubles the boat speed.:cool2:cheers CW.

:clap::clap::clap: Well done CW ! Great video ! Proper fire and brimstone ! Just what I'd expect from a top magician ! :-D

:rofl::rofl::rofl: get your life jacket ready :-D:shake:

Hi tony ,yes it is normal,raw water only tends to run too cold.there is keel cooling which is roughly pipes on the outside,but these are vunreble to damage,found on slow barges etc,Sea water is circulated thro the round tank which has a heat exchanger in it.sealed water from the oblong tank is passed thro the round tank,it then gets injected into the exhaust to help cool that as it is made from rubber tube.