Gunboat engine rebuild (again)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Haylingyacht003.jpg

Haylingyacht004.jpg

This is the port side which is 23inch again the belzona still holding up,but the paints still on this one,strange.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few pics around the yard

Haylingyacht007.jpg

Haylingyacht008.jpg

Haylingyacht009.jpg

Haylingyacht010.jpg

looks like war time concrete to me.whot would they of been used for.obstacles?

Haylingyacht005.jpg

Haylingyacht006.jpg

The old girl at rest,lots to do.

Have heard that one of the gunboat hulls survives in Maderia.its being used for marlin fishing:cool2::cool2:

Hello CW , Have you already removed the rope from the prop or have I been found innocent of all charges ! :-D

Jim allready removed it before i got there,it was on the left hand one:-D

You can still see traces of it - back to the spuds, Fowler!

Nothing wrong with your eyes mate,:-D

Are you sure, she's stirring, looks like unburnt fuel from the exhaust! :shake:

Spooky:shocked:

FortNelson2009003.jpg

FortNelson2009002.jpg

Another old famous boat going to ruin,who knows the story?its not long back from a round the world trip.the yard owner may end up with it if the owners donr sort the bill out,.Built in 1947 on a beach in India .

Another old famous boat going to ruin,who knows the story?its not long back from a round the world trip.the yard owner may end up with it if the owners donr sort the bill out,.Built in 1947 on a beach in India .

Found out that an Allan Priddy was involved in this, do you know if this was the same allan Priddy who was in the AWDC years ago? Had a Golden Eagle Jeep.

Isn't that where most old ships get taken apart these days?

The big tankers are your right.I dread to think of the accidents they are all running around bare footed.:shake:

Found out that an Allan Priddy was involved in this, do you know if this was the same allan Priddy who was in the AWDC years ago? Had a Golden Eagle Jeep.

I dont know,if i see him in the yard i will ask.he is the one that did the atlantic crossing in a rib.:-D

I seem to remember he was involved in auto and marine gearboxes and the like, may be wrong though, it's been a while! If it is him he let me take his Jeep off and drive it all over Weavers down, within about 15 minutes of us meeting, :sweat:great bloke!

The boat was owned by Sir Alex Rose,a Southsea Greengrocer,he sailed around the world in 1968 single handed took nearly a year.Priddy did the same but was responsable for 50 underpriviliged young adults joining in over various stages.

I was in the shed doing the rear main oil seals on Horatia when they were preparing Lively lady for the trip.alan has covered more than 200.000 miles at sea,braking 30 port to port records,three trans atlantic crossings,and one circum navigation.

Was rescued up in the artic quite dramatically .but you need to read his book.

Huge amount for charity.

i am bound to bump into him if i am there for any length of time which is looking likely.

Great picture .Weavers early 80s ?

• 2 weeks later...

Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg

important find.the only known gunboat hull still in use.The forward cabin is new but the rest looks original.I have only seen briefly a picture of the complete boat but cant remember what it looked like,The boat is used for Marlin fishing.Unfortuanatly the engines have been replaced with two NA V8 Perkins.The owner is a Capt Bristow i hope to get copies of the original boat as he has sales broucher.It looks nice and warm ,but where is it,Maybe i could do the same with Horatia now theres a thought.:cool2:

Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg

Another old one still working for a living.

The boat is used for Marlin fishing.Unfortuanatly the engines have been replaced with two NA V8 Perkins.The owner is a Capt Bristow i hope to get copies of the original boat as he has sales broucher.It looks nice and warm ,but where is it,

Madeira

www.fishmadeira.com/about-captain-bristow.html

:coffee: