Gunboat engine rebuild (again)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

80 pence a litre :shocked:

I thought you were trying to get diesel at off shore prices, UK tax (rip off) free at around 20p a litre or something.

Then after November you were then forced to use UK red diesel, at agricultural tax rates, at approx 50p litre.

Seems like I've missed something.

Red diesel at 50p litre....... I wish, last price we had for bulk delivery last week was 84p litre, I'd love to know where you can get it for 50p

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red diesel at 50p litre....... I wish, last price we had for bulk delivery last week was 84p litre, I'd love to know where you can get it for 50p

Got to admit it's a good while since I bought any for the steam cleaner but it used to be about half the price of white, what's happened that it's now 75% of cost of white?

Surprised the farmers haven't been up in arms!

Not worth trying to run your vehicle on the road on red now if there's that little price difference the risk of getting caught certainly isn't worth it.

I've just drained 80 litres of red diesel out of my Ward La France tank ready for cleaning.

At one point the Gov't said that red diesel was to be withdrawn and hinted at some sort of a rebate system based on using normal white diesel. Since a 10 year old could have told them that would be unworkable it now appears to be a back door way of achieving the same result.:argh:

The latest is instead of self declaration which would need policing,they may do a 60/40 split which doesnt need policing.The difference in tax is i believe heating battery charging 9plitre propulsion 55plitre.one things for sure its the last tine i will be filling up,its all over bar the shouting.

Nice idea someone did it with booze and fags,didnt last dont know why.

about seven years ago we paid £1 a gallon.

Cat, my money is still on the old injector, is it possible to distort the body when clamping it in the head?

Not really Mike,i will post pic of the whole assy later.

enginerebuild002-1.jpg

Rings in hot water to aid assembly,

enginerebuild003.jpg

I didnt have a ring expander big enough,i found warmed up they went on resonably easy by hand,you can feel whats happening better i think without the expander,i must remember to leave the gaps lined up so as to let more oil up to the top of the piston.

enginerebuild010.jpg

Fitting piston to the liner,using ring compressor.

enginerebuild011.jpg

Ready to go,I know its obvious to those who know whats going on ,but i thought it might help those who dont,understand a bit more.

Now have you spotted the deliberate mistake,and the ww2 object.

and would the deliberate mistake be lining all the ring gaps up ? :) Would not get oil to the top, but loose compression to the bottom :-D

Well spotted Richard on both accounts:-D

Did you realign the gaps in the rings before putting piston into liner?

:shocked: oh heck no i didnt:shocked:

Its ok mate just put it in there for the journey,got to come out again to fit the liner,but good thinking.

Not really looking forward to this,but i supose i will be ok when i get started.If i can get the liner piston,and sump on ,that would be good.:-D

Didn't see your post Richard, beat me again.:cool2:

Next time i will PM you with the answer before i post:cool2:

Being serious for once I don't envy you struggling in the bilges to put that lot back together, best of luck and I sincerely hope it will be OK this time.

Agree with you there, having seen the pics of CW under the engine in the confined space, afraid I would have trouble doing that sort of thing now, with bad back and stiff knees :shake:

Best of luck, CW, guess you are going down tomorrow?

Being serious for once I don't envy you struggling in the bilges to put that lot back together, best of luck and I sincerely hope it will be OK this time.

:tup:: me too,The Marina put about a ton of fuel on board yesterday,so its got to last long enough to use that up,as thats my last fill up,before the new owner takes over,now where can i find another mug.

Surprisingly it was 65p a litre.