Gunboat engine rebuild (again)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to the lack of enthusiasm i arrived late sat morning.Andy informs me he is sea fishing sunday.Cant see that being more fun than getting diesel all over you,

We have to do the fuel quantity so get on with that.

We have to rig up a pipe to stop the r/h bank from starting or pumping fuel everwhere.

leak004.jpg

The other ends in a bucket.

leak001.jpg

The two r/h pots were the ones tested,the first test showed a slight increase in quanty in the cyl that had the problem.Further test did not substantiate this.i decided the results were different to many times to be of any use.We tried the test with injectors connected.the amount was to small on each pump,the starter motor would of given up before enough measurable fuel would of been collected.

Whats wrong with the new liner?

leak008.jpg

The blue pipe is the stern gland cooler/lubricator,its sea water from the engine driven pump.It was orgianally copper,it had gone very pink, and along with the 4ins intake pipe i had replaced.When i saw the plastic i had a fit,I knew one day when i was in the bilge it was gonna get booted and break.Just goes to prove you have to do it all yourself.

Because Andy was off fishing i decided to replace some of the bonding which had come adrift.Whilst doing this i knocked the valve and it started dripping.It was loose so i thought i would see if it would go round one more turn to seel it.Half way round it stopped,i said to myself any more and it will break,So i carried on and it did.

We now have 14 ton of boat trying to shift the waters of portsmouth into my bilges.

I must admit i sat and watched it for a while wondering what i could spend the insurance money on.Then i thought no they will wriggle out of it somehow.

So cut a lump of the deckscrubber and banged it in with the club hammer.

Spent a long time sorting thro all the fittings but nothing fitted.Then i realised if i took the adapter out of the valve it was the same thread so put it back with a rubber o ring.This made my mind up head for home.Now did i turn it off properly:sweat:

Looks like a crack/gouge in the wall above the piston, too ragged a mark to be left by oil on the top ring?

I think thats a trick of the light.i hope so:shocked:

Looks like the liner has lifted a bit, did you put the bolt in after it moved? :???

Your right well its not lifted it just wont stay down with out being pulled down,it goes ok,but the previous one was easier to get in.lets hope the o rings are ok.:(.

Most likely a reflection of the gap at the other side of the piston made jagged by the honing marks then, sorry to worry you CW, but I didn't think the liner moving a bit would bother you too much at this stage.

Well a little bit Bernard,andy pushed the previous one down by hand.i had to push it in with bolts and plates the last 4ins.

I think its the three bottom O ring seels pushing back,maybe i never put as much silicone lube on as andy.It looks more than it is,had feeler gauges under it ,its not a lot.Once it gets 18 bolts at 185lb,ft on it ,it will know whos boss.

• 1 month later...

We start reassembling tomorrow,its been a month,i must admit to losing interest with this weather etc.The forecasts not good but as long as we dont get rocked around to much should be ok.Thanks to all who offered help,if your in the area pop in ,dont forget its premier marina pontoon L7.Gosport.Cheers CW.fight amongst your selves till i get back.:cool2:

Hope it goes well CW,too far away to be there in person but I'll be there in spirit:sweat::coffee:

:tup:: Once i get started will be ok,

:tup:: the doctor sez they are going down nicely.Cant see them Tony under the water,were new in the summer hope theres some left:sweat:

just remembered got to grind valves in,i hate that job.