Gunboat engine rebuild (again)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with you there, having seen the pics of CW under the engine in the confined space, afraid I would have trouble doing that sort of thing now, with bad back and stiff knees :shake:

quote]

Oh yes I know that feeling......... stiff in all the wrong places.

I was wondering once whilst laid under there,if i called the rescue service,said i was stuck,it would make great tele for that helicoptor rescue program,just imagine it hovering over the hatch and me popping out like a cork out of a bottle,and getting paid,help offset the costs.The invoice was £800,supose i should feel lucky Cat still have all this stuff 40 yrs on,that aint bad is it.

I was wondering once whilst laid under there,if i called the rescue service,said i was stuck,it would make great tele for that helicoptor rescue program,just imagine it hovering over the hatch and me popping out like a cork out of a bottle,and getting paid,help offset the costs.The invoice was £800,supose i should feel lucky Cat still have all this stuff 40 yrs on,that aint bad is it.

I think you might have that wrong way round CW, I think they charge you:nono::-D

As regards Cat, they are well known for their parts service and I suppose this would be a good example.

I think you might have that wrong way round CW, I think they charge you:nono::-D

As regards Cat, they are well known for their parts service and I suppose this would be a good example.

They said i was quite safe carry on the way i have been ,there is still 200 pistons in the states.:nono:

engine003-1.jpg

liner in,last bit was tight so used two big washers and short bolts in the head bolt holes to pull the last bit in,you have to make sure the bottom is clean and well lubricated because of the 3 o ring seels on the btm.

engine004.jpg

piston in. the big end bolts were difficult to get tight due to the lack of space.feeling the aches and pains today.gave up at this point and came home as all had gone well and didnt wont to push my luck.plus the forecast was bad for today.

engine005.jpg

The injector set up,the small nozle is screwed hand tight to the extension tube,then the whole lot is screwed into the pre combustion chamber.

Is one of the other liners loose there? Looks to be raised up next to the piston you've been working on.

What holds the end of the injector nozzle on if it's only hand tight? Does it bear against something?

How does it seal onto the extension if only hand tight?

Just wondering seeing as injectors may have been the cause of your problems.

Is one of the other liners loose there? Looks to be raised up next to the piston you've been working on.

What holds the end of the injector nozzle on if it's only hand tight? Does it bear against something?

How does it seal onto the extension if only hand tight?

Just wondering seeing as injectors may have been the cause of your problems.

The liners are clamped down by the cylinder head,so in theory if you turn the engine over they can move,we have to measure the height above the block of the liner it has to be within certain limits.Then there is a gasket only paper and that has to be measured and taken into account.Then there is a spacer plate.it will be clearer as we go on.

The nozzle is screwed on the ex tube ,this is splined to fit into the head,the large tube nut is slid over them and screwed into the head pulling the whole lot together.

• 2 weeks later...

The good news is the injectors check out ok,bad news really its going to turn into one of those mysteries i just know it.

• 2 weeks later...

odds003.jpg

Corrosion caused by moisture,lack of use.this reared its ugly head one day when i reved it up and it stayed at full throttle :shake::shake::shake:

The resulting pump o/haul would of bought a military vehicle(not enough for a jeep though).

The allan screw pinches the quadrant to the shaft,if this was loose and it moved then caught again ,that would change the fueling for that cylinder.

We did remove one when testing the lift for timing,andy has convinced himself it was the no 4 cyl and he wonders if we/he put it back one tooth out to the rack,this would also affect the amount.i cant see it myself we checked it several times.if we did its expensive mistake,the other thing that doesnt add up is its lasted 2yrs and a lot of full throttle work :confused::confused::confused:

odds011.jpg

odds003.jpg

CW,

That spring, is it misshapen? Could be a trick of the camera, but 1st coil on left hand end looks a bit out of line with the rest :confused:

You said that the engine has had a lot of hard use since last rebuild, but if the valve here, had been wrongly set, the piston could have been slowly deteriorating and this last run finally put the cap on it........just a thought.

Sorry Richard all the above is scrap,didnt make that clear,all 8 pumps renewed complete.

Had a look at that coil and the first one is slightly bigger,didnt fit the new ones so dont know if that is for the retaining plate end ,Not shown in the pic,or the other end,or just got like that with the constant battering.

Would it be easier to just bolt a couple of these on mate ! :cool2:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:what a great idea,any one know any more about them?

Oh OK thanks, thought you had just found that damage.

You been moaning about your joints,but nothing wrong with the eyes mate.:-D