Gunboat engine rebuild (again)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Not worried about the black,its the grey thats got me beat.No hoses,no air filters.pump.turbo.o/hauled,new injectors,no water in fuel.compression on the r/h bank ok.these engines are quite low compression.Doesnt consume more oil than the other one.I am even more convinced its crap fuel,i would like to get a sample tested to see what rubbish we are buying.

AT WHITE DIESEL PRICES.:argh:

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not worried about the black,its the grey thats got me beat.No hoses,no air filters.pump.turbo.o/hauled,new injectors,no water in fuel.compression on the r/h bank ok.these engines are quite low compression.Doesnt consume more oil than the other one.I am even more convinced its crap fuel,i would like to get a sample tested to see what rubbish we are buying.

AT WHITE DIESEL PRICES.:argh:

Getting the picture now, OK. Is there a separate diesel tank for each engine? If there is, then I can see why one engine might suffer, but you have a history of problems with that engine and that seems to rule out contaminated fuel, as you would have suffered on the other engine by now. What about a cracked head, possibly in the inlet tract of the troublesome cylinder, that might account for the recent damage. Why not pressure test the cooling system on that engine? This would give a whitish smoke, but mixed with the normal black, could turn out grey :confused:

Andy's just noticed all the dead flies in his bread :rofl:

Nah........... they ent flies boy........... they're beetles........ they'm a lot crunchier than flies they are............. chomp chomp..........got more roughage than flies.................... good fer yer bowels!!! ........................................................................................................

Got some Caterpillar (Topical joke) samidges boy..................you'll like them,

they got nuts in 'em. :-D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nah........... they ent flies boy........... they're beetles........ they'm a lot crunchier than flies they are............. chomp chomp..........got more roughage than flies.................... good fer yer bowels!!! ........................................................................................................

Got some Caterpillar (Topical joke) samidges boy..................you'll like them,

they got nuts in 'em. :-D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

could be cockroaches, they look big :-D

Looking at the part where you open her right up the port engine seems to shove out much more smoke in the turbo lag period than the starboard one, which would suggest to me that starboard governor needs tweeking, or else that turbo is spinning up faster, they both seem to run clear when up to speed.

All that water makes it tricky to see much!

Yes separate tanks.I think the other engine at idle is worse allthough not as bad.

I see the way your thinking,it never has consumed water and very often when i check before a run it still has pressure from the previous weeks run.i will monitor it a bit more thoroughly.Maybe the other 4 pots want re ringing:shocked::nono:For Sale Historic vessel three carefull owners.:-D

Just had a thought now its on the tube i can get the ex race engineer to look at it:yay:

Looking at the part where you open her right up the port engine seems to shove out much more smoke in the turbo lag period than the starboard one, which would suggest to me that starboard governor needs tweeking, or else that turbo is spinning up faster, they both seem to run clear when up to speed.

All that water makes it tricky to see much!

Have you got that the right way round Bernard,i think the starboard one is black,it has black in it at top speed allthough no smoke.We can play with the boost control when you come down:cool2: waiting for the right time to fit the new props,Andy seems to think that one is holding the engine back,I wouldnt agree this time but i could be wrong twice.

As you look at the video the right hand engine is much running richer at that time, which I would think is normal. The left hand one that has the dirty exhaust water puts out hardly any extra smoke. Stop the video at 5:30 and you'll see the difference, if the l/h one is running slower (not so efficient due to who knows what) or not responding to the throttle the r/h one may be working harder to accelerate.

We can play with the boost control when you come down:cool2:

No such thing as a free ride then, should have known!! :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Went down to have a good clear up,going to do the exhaust manifold to head gasket again ruddy things leaking.There was a little excitement in Stokes bay just outside the Harbour.

The vessel was on a day skipper training day,it belonged to a sea school.

Realistic training or what.bet the students been put off for life.

Stand him in a few pints in years to come though.£200.000 up in smoke.

p30621613-300x225.jpg

p30621521-225x300.jpg

p30621431-300x225.jpg

p30621401-300x225.jpg

cause of the fire not yet known,its now sitting on the seabed.

Probably turbo as it was a diesel boat.

You been practicing CW?:nono::rofl::rofl::rofl:

As if:rofl:

Nobody hurt rescued by the police rib,Total loss ABN its sitting on the bottom.we had a load of diesel on the water in the marina just fell in its from that boat.

As if:rofl:

Nobody hurt rescued by the police rib,Total loss ABN its sitting on the bottom.we had a load of diesel on the water in the marina just fell in its from that boat.

"Just fell in" wouldn't have expected that from someone with sea legs like yourself!

You weren't trying to skim some of that valuable diesel off the top were you?

"You weren't trying to skim some of that valuable diesel off the top were you?

No mate it stunk the place out.arrived couldnt park the car,car park full up with boats being worked on.Entry card crashed out again.old toilet block was pulled down a while ago new built at the opposite end to me,built a new building restaurant with one toilet so there was a que.

No trolleys had search the place to find one,and i am trying to raise money to stay here,somebody give me a kick up the arse i must be getting old and stupid.:argh:

No mate it stunk the place out.arrived couldnt park the car,car park full up with boats being worked on.Entry card crashed out again.old toilet block was pulled down a while ago new built at the opposite end to me,built a new building restaurant with one toilet so there was a que.

No trolleys had search the place to find one,and i am trying to raise money to stay here,somebody give me a kick up the arse i must be getting old and stupid.:argh:

Told you, oop North is where it's at!

CW,

I was looking at a suitable replacement engine for your boat today, hook those old CAT's out...........it was a Cummins V-16..........loads of power :-D

Wash your mouth out.we had cummins v8s in the other Nelson,bags of revs sod all happening.was impressed with the water conditioner filter though.:-D

3877_original-1.jpg

For those visiting this wk end,Gosport Marina,pontoon L7,will pm my mobile and code for jetty,Parking is allowed in the marina car park if theres room take a ticket at barrier,9.30 will be fine.

• 1 month later...

Went down to Fort nelson so popped in to see the old girl check out the props .

Haylingyacht001.jpg

Haylingyacht002.jpg

This is the starboard one,this is the side that has the black in the exhaust water,its 24inch,dont normally paint them but because we filled with the belzona we painted then with garage floor paint so no one would see what we had done.Its nearly all come off which is whot i would of expected.The Belzona stood up really well.