head gasket problems..

mikemids

help...... i gave my morris a run tonight to fuel up, only to find water leaking from the head gasket when i got back, its booked in for a show on sat so i urgently need to repair it, i've heard John Walker sells Morris C8 gaskets but havent got his number? can anyone help me out or suggest a solution, the show is 26 miles each way, so only local hence why i dont want to let them down...

help...... i gave my morris a run tonight to fuel up, only to find water leaking from the head gasket when i got back, its booked in for a show on sat so i urgently need to repair it, i've heard John Walker sells Morris C8 gaskets but havent got his number? can anyone help me out or suggest a solution, the show is 26 miles each way, so only local hence why i dont want to let them down...

wot o mike, i had same problem on my jeep, i had the head off and after 100 miles forgot to re torque head down, worth a try maybe

good luck graham

hi, its the Evesham vintage steam rally, on over this weekend, they have a military section, P.O.w camp, nissen huts etc... they asked for re-enactors etc to attend, so we taking our display along.

just hope the weather holds out!

Ashdown farm, Badsey Road WR11 7PA

( off A46 Evesham by-pass)

ok thanks...:-D

tried some of that K seal, works ok, but not sealed it completely, have now discovered it seems more likely that when head was put back on at some stage, they used a sealer but didnt go all the way around with it and have left a 10mm long gap which is where the water is escaping from.. so i dont actually think its blown the gasket as such, i've ran it for abou 9 or 10 miles last night and seems ok, but i'll replace it all the same asap.

thanks for everyones help. :tup::

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

tried some of that K seal, works ok, but not sealed it completely, have now discovered it seems more likely that when head was put back on at some stage, they used a sealer but didnt go all the way around with it and have left a 10mm long gap which is where the water is escaping from.. so i dont actually think its blown the gasket as such, i've ran it for abou 9 or 10 miles last night and seems ok, but i'll replace it all the same asap.

thanks for everyones help. :tup::

K seal not one of the best.Steel seal or CArgo.would of been better.

have now discovered it seems more likely that when head was put back on at some stage, they used a sealer but didnt go all the way around with it and have left a 10mm long gap

Hi Mike,

It sounds like the head may have been refitted with a slight bow in it. Not unusual, especially with a flathead, with copper/asbestos gasket, which it would have, sealer is not absolutely neccessary although I have always used Wellseal on this type of gasket to seal around the oil and water ways, it is very thin, not unlike shellac which was used in the old days. If you are going to renew the gasket, get the head face checked for truth, sometimes the area around the water ports is corroded and facing improves this area as well as straightening up the surface.

I seem to recollect hearing somewhere along the line that C8 head gaskets were prone to going in the same place? I might be imagining this though!

Rick,

That may be true with the Morris engine. On Rolls Royce B60 and 80 engines there are particular pairs of cylinders that are known to blow the gasket between. It is essential to check a head with an accurate straight edge before fitting, they will not "straighten out" when tightening down.

the other thing with Morris engines, I had a copy of the workshop manual for the Quad, same engine I belive, nowhere in it could I find a torque setting for the head bolts.

Not surprising really, torque settings were not commonly used in that era for British automobile work. Providing a normal length spanner was used, along with common sense, then it would be tightened sufficiently. The use of torque wrenches on old engines, where the setting is "guesstimated", often results in stretched studs, or threads pulled as people do not have the feel for what is happening, just waiting for the click. Back in my apprentice days, there was an old boy working there who started in the trade in the late 1920's, he always said he would "never use one of them tourniquet wrenches".

...........and yes, before you say it, the Dodge WC manual has head torque setting.

Not surprising really, torque settings were not commonly used in that era for British automobile work. Providing a normal length spanner was used, along with common sense, then it would be tightened sufficiently. The use of torque wrenches on old engines, where the setting is "guesstimated", often results in stretched studs, or threads pulled as people do not have the feel for what is happening, just waiting for the click. Back in my apprentice days, there was an old boy working there who started in the trade in the late 1920's, he always said he would "never use one of them tourniquet wrenches".

...........and yes, before you say it, the Dodge WC manual has head torque setting.

Touch wood rapiadily. Two problems my Lady has given me over the years. An over reading fuel gauge, which I now allow for, and a loose ignition wire.

Some very helpfull tips here, thanks. well the K-seal held out for both legs of the trip, althouh i will still replace gasket and get head checked asap.

Very pleased with it as it was my first trip and show in my own WW2 truck, and its first trip since 19????? whenever.... not sure when it was last on the road, but its only just been registered so i'd guess way before i was born!

heres a couple of pics from the show, still got a little work to do on it yet, but i took it as it was just to be able to attend.

oh if and anyone knows of a headlight rim and glass for sale, i now need one as it looks like one of mine vibrated out on the way home never to be seen again....:argh:

Picture 271.jpg

Picture 272.jpg

Picture 268.jpg

I've never used a torque wrench, just feel, start in the middle and keep working out, it was how I was taught by an 'old boy' an hasn't let me down thus far. I always make sure to clean the head bolts in the bench mounted wire wheel, and use plenty of engine oil when located them.

He taught you well, Simon :thumbsup: