Diesel Stolly.

Poptopshed

At War & Peace this year was a great looking Stolly camped just down from us in quiet camping. It was bought over by some guys from Ireland. Looked very good on the larger tyres.

DSC00194-1.jpg

First time we heard it start and rummble past we knew it was a bit different. Later in the week we got a chance to get talking to the guy who had worked on it. I think his name was Trevor, sorry if its not. I am rubbish at remembering names.

It is now running a Cummins V8 Diesel, Sounds great works well and fits in the hull nicely.

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00193-1-1.jpg

The other interesting thing is that he fitted clutches to the drive shafts so most of the time he runs on the center wheels and can engage drive to the front and rear at the flick of a switch in the cab. Avoids any problems with windup and they even went on holiday in it!

He has machined a bronze collar that fits on the shafts with a plain end to support the shaft when not engaged.

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00192-1.jpg

Jon.

Clever chap ! I saw her cruising around W+P ! Still love the sound of the petrol but hats off to the fella for skills ! I think its this one that has turned Madrat into a Stollie fan !:bow::bow::bow::bow:

How can you NOT love a Stalwart?? Nothing else looks and sounds like them....... :):):):)

How can you NOT love a Stalwart?? Nothing else looks and sounds like them.......

Ummm, always loved the stolly, but not ever been serious about buying one until now! :cool2:

Top bloke was Trevor, he was kind enough to take me and mrs Madrat out for a short road run one evening! This rather cemented my desire to join stolly ownership!

The modifications he had made certainly made the stolly more drivable, he did mention that the cummins v8 doesn't get any better mpg's than the petrol though :shake: but far more reliable I guess?

The clutches like all good engineering were very simple, I'll certainly be doing the same if I come across a stolly looking for a new home :cool2:

Oh, and does anyone know Dave who owned the stolly '983 UXU' I never got a proper chance to thank him for the beer and time spent chatting away to us!

How's Maud's rebuild coming along Neil ? Any updates or photos please ? :-D

Spoke to Kerry from RR at the show - I was hoping she would be finished in time to make Military Mayhem at Faversham (nice easy run from RR to there..) but it's not to be. Apparently most of RR's staff are on vacation after W&P finished so we're looking end of September now at the earliest. No pictures yet but last time I went down she was looking and sounding good. Cab is now an early one with the bolted glass retainers which will make life easier for future repaint jobs. :) Most of her is now sanded down ready for repainting and then there are some odd 'n sods to do like fitting the water-tight seals to the drop-gates so she's ready for swimming. I got them to fit the third crew seat in the cab too so if I get a passenger they have (a) somewhere to sit if it rains and (b) easier access out the hatch.

I'll be glad when I've got her back - really missed her this season even though I've got the OT now too!!

Ummm, always loved the stolly, but not ever been serious about buying one until now! :cool2:

The clutches like all good engineering were very simple, I'll certainly be doing the same if I come across a stolly looking for a new home :cool2:

!

There is one for sale here:

http://www.mvvideoads.com/display_listing/572/1965_Softskin_Stalwart_Stalwart.html

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
At War & Peace this year was a great looking Stolly camped just down from us in quiet camping. It was bought over by some guys from Ireland. Looked very good on the larger tyres.

DSC00194-1.jpg

First time we heard it start and rummble past we knew it was a bit different. Later in the week we got a chance to get talking to the guy who had worked on it. I think his name was Trevor, sorry if its not. I am rubbish at remembering names.

It is now running a Cummins V8 Diesel, Sounds great works well and fits in the hull nicely.

DSC00190.jpg

LOOK like the cummins 185 we had in a pilot boat.

There's been a Cummins 6B engined Stoly for sale for about 9 months in a boatyard - looks tidy from the pic. I posted details on For sale/wanted thread some time back (unless it got lost). That would sound nice, and depending on which model it might have enough power too? You'd just need to do the clutch job then :-D Come on, no excuses. I'll look for ad later.

Wasn't there a guy in East Retford South yorkshire about twenty years ago, buying anything he could get? He was refurbishing converting to Disiel and selling on.

It was Retford, Nottinghamshire, and the dealer was AF Budge.

I saw that one thanks, perhaps its just me but is that a little overpriced considering the work required? You will see from my Scammell that I enjoy a project! :cool2:

It's not tooo bad price-wise for a Mk 1 - they are a bit scarcer than the Mk 2's. Point to bear in mind though is that vision from the Mk 1 is poorer than the Mk 2. And you don't get the central lubricating system. Cab layout isn't to everyones taste either. Not sure how good his estimate is for the centre tractor joints though - £20 seems a bit light to me....

It's not tooo bad price-wise for a Mk 1 - they are a bit scarcer than the Mk 2's. Point to bear in mind though is that vision from the Mk 1 is poorer than the Mk 2. And you don't get the central lubricating system. Cab layout isn't to everyones taste either. Not sure how good his estimate is for the centre tractor joints though - £20 seems a bit light to me....

I figured it was a little over what it was worth but then thats where the negotiation starts! What is different about the cab layout in the MK1? I've only briefly sat in a mk2!

Thanks!

I figured it was a little over what it was worth but then thats where the negotiation starts! What is different about the cab layout in the MK1? I've only briefly sat in a mk2!

Thanks!

The owner is open to negotiation and for what it's worth there has been a lot of work carried out, the engine (apart from no reverse which can be sorted he has the parts) sounds beautiful, and it has all the swim gear in place, might be worth a look or even a phone call.

Thanks!

In a Mk 2 (FV 622) the available space in the cab is full-width allowing 3 people to be carried inc. the driver whereas in the Mk 1 (FV 620) there is a false bulkhead immediately to the drivers right with the document case on it. Space the other side is intended for equipment stowage.

Also on the Mk 2 the quarter lights at front and sides were dropped in the corner for better visibility. The Mk 1 had them square across the bottom - but then the front ones on the Mk 1 were open-able for better cab ventilation so "you pays yer money and takes yer pick" as the saying goes.

Purely a personal opinion but I prefer the Mk 2 - hence why little Maud is one :). It really would be worth going and having a look at the one Mark's friend is selling then, while you are down that way nip over to RR and see if Kerry will let you have a look in little Maud (tell him I said it's OK) as you are interested in buying a Stolly and want to compare the Mk 1 to the Mk 2. Could be you will like the Mk 1's layout.

Again a purely personal opinion - but I would avoid the crane-equipped mk 2's (FV623 and FV 824) as they have an additional 2 tons sitting over the front two pairs of wheels and have a markedly nose-down stance when swimming - too much risk of expensive things going badly wrong fo me!!

Which ever mark you go for though a Stalwart is a fantastic machine to own and drive. You won't regret going for one. At least not until it's repair time - then the myopic fruit bat syndrome kicks in :rofl: - but them the memories of all those times rumbling around in her will off-set the grief!! :)

Which ever mark you go for though a Stalwart is a fantastic machine to own and drive. You won't regret going for one. At least not until it's repair time - then the myopic fruit bat syndrome kicks in :rofl: - but them the memories of all those times rumbling around in her will off-set the grief!! :)

Duncan, I think that applies to any of the larger MVs, With a Scammell and a Stolly you will have a high yeehaaa to oogawdwotnow ratio, and be pretty sure at least one of them will up and ready for a play :-D

I just really need to get that Isle of Wight vid on here because that would be such an awesome watch for you lot. There are really good bits in it one of them being when the Stolly got stuck on an I.o.W beach and the Laird Centaur trying to tow it up the shingle beach. Thats one of my things to do this summer get old tapes on to disc.

Edited by chambers101

YE i know the one

I put the engine in. i swoped it for the guys bedford mj recovery. its a 5.9 6b 180bhp pulls well 555ftlb torque the engine had come from a crasher truck a daf 55 only 12000km.i used the stolly clutch plate and the daf flywheel and cover plate witch has twice the grip of the clutch a stolly used.daf thrush bearing as well . truck is well worth it if i was in the market i would buy it.i did 3/400mile in it but i needede a crane thats the only reason i sold it.it had new brake pads,handbrakebands,starter ,alt, recon box, and it is only 7300kg so can be driven on a car ticket .I PUT IT ON A WEIGH BRIDGE

Dave