Towing limit

Chappers

Question

13 answers to this question

It all depends on the wight of the trailer versus the weight of towing vehicle. A trailer must not exceed the wieght of a vehicle UNLESS, the manufacturers declare it to be a 'towing vehicle'. For trailers up to 3 tonnes MGM an override brake may be used. Brakes on a trailer must function at 25% in total of the axles of the trailer. This means a single axle trailer each wheel must rate 12.5 % for a twin axle each wheel must rate 6.5% minimum. Over 3 tom MGM a trailer must be fitted with air or electric brakes. 3 ton is also the maximum for a 50mm ball. NATO's come in 7.5 tonne and 22 tonne. Towing other vehicles depends on national legislation. The other important and oft never even known about is 'nose weight' The weight the trailer puts on to the tow bar. This is a whole new nightmare, a basic measure is if the trailer tips back when lifted, there isn't enough! the basic figure quoted is 75 to 80 lbs. 35 to 37 kgs. To little and the vehicle lifts at the rear. to much and the vehicle lifts at the front.

http://www.gocaravanning.com/caravans/using/towing_guide.htm

I was recently told that A-bars were being outlawed. We had discussed the idea of A-barring the Jeep behind my Defender, anyone know anything about this?

I think this is because they then become trailers and anything over 750 Kg needs to have a braking system - e.g. over-run brakes. This is rather a hot topic amongst motor homers right now as they tend to tow a small car for running about in when in location.

Had a quick dig and this was a response on a MH forum from the NTTA:

Question: I have a motor home and want to tow a Fiat Seicento behind it using an A-frame. This car has a kerb weight under 750 kg so am I legal with this outfit?

Answer: Sorry no is the answer. The law regards this as an unbraked trailer and you are allowed to tow up to 750 kg Gross Trailer Weight, not a car’s kerb weight. The figure you have to use is the car’s Gross Vehicle Weight or Maximum Permitted Weight. This is usually at least 300 - 400 kg more than the kerb weight. We have no knowledge of any car sold in the UK that has a GVW under 750 kg. The only vehicle we know that is completely legal to tow with an A-frame is the French Aixam small "car". This is a full four seater and details can be obtained from Aixam UK on 01926 886100. An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. Transporting a car is, therefore, illegal. A-frames may be offered with a braking system that applies the car's brakes. These do not conform to the law as the car then becomes a "braked trailer" and has to conform to European Directives contained within the Construction and Use Regulations. It does not conform to the European Directive 71/320/EEC and amendments regarding braking requirements in any way. The use of this A-frame for transportation is illegal. It is still OK for use to recover a vehicle to a place of safety.

As far as an artillery piece behind a GMC goes, unless your thinking of Long Tom or something, I can't see the problem. I have driven Quads with limber and gun no problem, and hung them on the LWB Land Rover, no problem. Most importantly!!!! Make sure all bolts and the hitch is in perfect order, check wiring regularly, and make your own trailer board, bought ones are B******dy useless. Use a good saftey chain as well. The most embarassing thing is to be going along hapily and wonder , What's that overtaking me? :shocked: If the trailer has a tipping mechanism, make sure that is locked too. Most people who have handled tractors and trailers can tell a story of the trouser leg over the lever.:-( The biggest problem is stopping the great unwashed trying to get between you and the trailer. Hang a big flag over the end of the barrel. I heard screech of brakes once, looked back to see a little car and wide eyed driver with the windscreen about 2 inches from the barrel end. That was despite a large warning triangle and flashing light.:rofl:

This link for the National Trailer & Towing Association is also worth a look at:

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/index.htm

I recently spoke with an MV owner who also works for the AA & he said if your vehicle is MOT exempt you shouldn't be towing anything! Anyone know if that is correct? if so that would impact on many here.

If you claim exemption using V112G form and your towing vehicle would ordinarily be subject to goods vehicle plating and testing regulations (which very simplistically is related to vehicle weight) then the most common exemption claimed is under category 30 -

"vehicle first used before 1 January 1960" the rest of the clause states "used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer, and trailer manufactured before 1st January 1960 and used unladen"

Which seems to imply you can draw a trailer but obviously it must be empty - so your AA man is right in the sense that not many MV owners use their trailers empty

Construction and Use regs apply to vehicles and trailers based on their dates of manufacture and aren't retrospective so you can tow an unbraked trailer if it was built as such at a time when that was legal.

The towing capacity of the truck is therefore that which is authorised by the manufacturer, ie. whatever the cab dataplate says.

- Mike

Thanks for all the replies ,It seems to me from the answers that as long as it was made before 1961 and is braked and doesn't exceed the towing vehicles weight then its O.K!!!

The Artillary I'm looking at is 3.1 ton and has a hydralic brakes attached to the towing eye similar to a modern braked trailer.

regards

Steve

Over 750kg up to 3,500kg gross trailer weight overrun brakes are required as a minimum. Over 3500kg the trailer must have a braking system linked to the towing vehicles braking system ie air or hydraulic, the towing vehicle must be plated to tow the appropriate weight. GMC originally supplied an electric brake and this was typically used to tow the 105mm gun/howitzer, presumably because of the year of manufacture this would be acceptable today. Incidentally I am fairly sure Jack has the brake control fitted to the steering column on his GMC.

I'm sure Steve (Dr Deuce) on the CCKW forum would be able to give you full info on the electric brake system although not, of course, the law as it affects this over here. Hope this helps.

If you claim exemption using V112G form and your towing vehicle would ordinarily be subject to goods vehicle plating and testing regulations (which very simplistically is related to vehicle weight) then the most common exemption claimed is under category 30 -

"vehicle first used before 1 January 1960" the rest of the clause states "used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer, and trailer manufactured before 1st January 1960 and used unladen"

Which seems to imply you can draw a trailer but obviously it must be empty - so your AA man is right in the sense that not many MV owners use their trailers empty

I use my MV trailer to sleep in at shows and my research years ago showed that a "living van" means a vehicle whether mechanically propelled or not which is used as living accommodation by one or more persons, and which is also used for the carriage of goods or burden which are not needed by such one or more persons for the purpose of their residence in the vehicle

A trailer fitted with a fixed sink, cooker (however small) and bed becomes a living van, which as long as only personal possessions are inside is treated as an empty trailer.