What Is It

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Catweazle,

This has a nautical flavour, not surprising really :).

It is called by the same name as Steptoe & Son

:tup::

And I know where you found the info:-X

Had the info but no pictures,if its the same place ,what a great amount of info,not revealing that.Let the blighters work for it.:-D

It's a Totter Rocket :coffee:

Lee wins the coconut,so do you want to tell them all about it or shall i?

Ah - you mean this device:

World War II saw a great spread of odd rockets, rockets being fired for instance to automatically signal an intrusion into/through an anti-submarine net or boom defence. However some of the more imaginative designs were in the field of anti aircraft defence.

Totter (type) Rockets and their cousins would be fired to warn of approaching enemy aircraft at their simplest. At their most complex they could be fired from land, or often from a ship or landing craft to provide very localised air defence.

A small tug may have 3 or 4 of these rockets on it. If the vessel came under aerial attack, especially by dive bombing the rockets would be fired. At apogee, the highest part of the flight, the rocket would burn out and a parachute pop out. As the parachute floated down it would unwind a thin metal wire. Once unwound the wire would dangle below the parachute almost all the way to the ground. In effect a small barrage balloon was created. If the attacking aircraft flew into these wires, it could foul its propeller, bind around the wings and control surfaces or otherwise cripple the plane and bring it down at best, or at least put the pilot off his aim.

Later designs had a small bomb/grenade on the end of this wire. As the plane flew into the wire and passed through it, the motion of the plane would haul the wire, with bomb up and up until it fouled the wing and then..BANG!

Taken from http://www.cyberheritage.org/totter/

Obvious - Congreave rocket modified for the firework display to celebrate the admission of the 28th State to the US :coffee:

Not what it says in my book:nono::-D

I think you've been upsetting Photobucket mate - all the pics say they've been removed by them!!

Something funny going on here,do you know which ones,havnt upset them yet.:argh: