Hello there!

Timinder

Hi, I've recently found this forum and have been

reading through as many old posts as I can - very interesting stuff!

I 've long had a fascination for military vehicles (what little boy doesn't?) but never actually got round to doing anything about it.

A little about me:

I'm a design engineer working mostly with wooden furniture at the moment, but have done all sorts in my time. I play about with Classic (ish) cars a bit and am involved in the ATC as a VRT officer, mostly teaching weapons handling and general shooting type activities.

I've recently started hankering after some sort of MV, and my eye is drawn mainly towards post-war British kit - I suppose because I've seen quite a bit of it being used on the telly growing up, and also as a young Air Cadet.

I suppose my question would be better answered in the main forum, but what would be a good choice for an 'entry-level' MV in terms of ease of maintenance, cost (purchase and running) etc? (apart from Landies - nothing against them per se, I just prefer something less common!)

Cheers

Tim

Well Tim try a Land Rover 101. Apart from armour or really big stuff, as far as the British Army post war Landy did most of it. Why not do the sensible and Buy a Dodge WC51 weapons Carrier, as a design engineer you will fall in love with the beautifully thought out enginerring. Everything is designed for purpuose, with old fashioned love and skill..............:sleep:

Hey Tim,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by Land Rovers being a bit common. Some are, but that's more to do with how they've been brought up. Anyway, you're dead right about post war stuff. In fact, it was predicted as long ago as 1944 that PW vehicles would be the most desirable.

Hey Tim,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by Land Rovers being a bit common. Some are, but that's more to do with how they've been brought up. Anyway, you're dead right about post war stuff. In fact, it was predicted as long ago as 1944 that PW vehicles would be the most desirable.

Ooops! I didn't mean 'common' in a derogatory way! I just mean that the basic Land Rover look is pretty recognisable due to its ubiquity, especially 'round these parts. I reckon that might be the easiest way to go for a start though, since parts are common and cheap, but I really fancy something less usual, along the lines of a Pig or a Ferret. Are they at all common/affordable (looked on milweb, no prices!)

Ooops! I didn't mean 'common' in a derogatory way! I just mean that the basic Land Rover look is pretty recognisable due to its ubiquity, especially 'round these parts. I reckon that might be the easiest way to go for a start though, since parts are common and cheap, but I really fancy something less usual, along the lines of a Pig or a Ferret. Are they at all common/affordable (looked on milweb, no prices!)

It's alright I was only kidding. I'm very new here myself but as you will have already found this is a most friendly and helpful place especially in regard to advice about buying and running a MV. Good luck with finding something and please take and post plenty of 'photos of any vehicle you eventually acquire.

Oh Gawd!! ANOTHER one developing post war animal complex. With all the Ferrets, Pig's and Fox's about we will have to call this place the Historic Military Animal Forum.:rofl:

Think a CULL is in order,................:cool2:

Seriously, (eh ??)........with the passing years, of course there are going to be far more PW military vehicles, and kit, being shown,...........us WWII and earlier, vehicle owners can be proud in the knowledge that if the origional owners/users of our vehicles hadn't been where they were, etc,...a lot of the PW stuff wouldn't exist. :-D

i know you say a landy is quite common but why not go for a old series ambulance instead

these are quite cheap at the minute as not to many want them:shocked:

They don't appeal to everyone but I've owned this one for about 7 years now and had nothing but fun with it. Also, if you have these zig-zag pattern tires fitted they make a really nice howling noise when you go along which I think is quite important.

sc00619361.jpg

DSCF001600-30-15-1.jpg

i know you say a landy is quite common but why not go for a old series ambulance instead

these are quite cheap at the minute as not to many want them:shocked:

NO !! having just done some work on these there are some hidden nasties. The half shafts are prone to breacking and the handaling is exciting. If you want an ambulance get a 101 at least then you hve a purley military vehicle.

NO !! having just done some work on these there are some hidden nasties. The half shafts are prone to breacking and the handaling is exciting. If you want an ambulance get a 101 at least then you hve a purley military vehicle.

Not with the Salisbury rear axle fitted and with the anti-roll bars mine came with the handling on roundabouts is like a limpet.

Not with the Salisbury rear axle fitted and with the anti-roll bars mine came with the handling on roundabouts is like a limpet.

Trouble is roll bars etc welded on are a rust point. The chassis is also diffrent on the ambulance. If buying one check roll bar welds very carfully.

Re landie ambulances,.well, the 2/4 strecher version, being discussed, anyways,.......I found it to be the most comfy of all series landies I've owned,.......also the warmest, with all the heating systems;..........good points, if you remove all internal kit, you can sleep in back, comfy, quiet,.well, 'cept tyre whine, and thats a nice noise, isn't it ? :-D, spares,.well, for the landy bits, anyways,..oh, and the salisbury rear axle's legendary toughness,.(at one time loads of the AWDC guys fitted then, for their strength).

Not so good, their ability to put the fear of :shake::sweat:into you, if tackling a side slope,.............had to get me passenger out to 'support' the body lean, whilst reversing,........V- SLOWLY,......off said slope;.........Not the vehicles fault,...........more like the nut behind the wheel who tried to use it in same way as 'normal' landy.........:whistle:

Whatever you decide on, if not familiar with said breed, try and get a mate/someone who is, to go allong with you;.............then, on there advice you do buy,....and it turns out to be a pile of rabbit droppings, you've someone to blame............:cool2:

All the best

Andy