Next year is the 70th anniversary of the launch of the Diamond T 980-981 tank transporter,how about a "T" party to celebrate?Maybe as an added attraction at one of the bigger rallies.

Great idea, guess you could have a few Scammell Coffee Pots there too for those who don't drink T? :D

Next year is the 70th anniversary of the launch of the Diamond T 980-981 tank transporter,how about a "T" party to celebrate?Maybe as an added attraction at one of the bigger rallies.

Yes, i'll be up for that. I was also thinking of contacting those who have vehicles in desert cammo about a do in 2012 to celebrate the North Africa campaign.

Either at the end of last year or the start of this one (can't remember when it was) I used to drive past it on the way to and from work on occasions. I noticed for a good few weeks that the bonnet was up on it and it looked as if they were working on the engine, while a blue tarp had been put over the cab.

£8,000 :shocked: wow, no wonder no-one has touched it. It's a shame as it should really be saved but don't think I'd be allowed to park it on my drive, as much as I would like to!

I think someone should get this poor bugger out before it rots beyond redemption. When I spoke to the guy who owns it he was very sharp when I enquired about the advert he said “make it quick because I am going out and the phone is going off”, which is of course the perfect was to speak to someone you are trying to sell a grossly over-price vehicle to. He then suggested I should try again later. I did and got no reply, which was the last time I tried.

At that price there is no hope. Also, the tyres are flat and when the advert was out the starter motor was shot so getting it out may not be a straightforward proposition.

I fear that it will stay there until it is no longer salvageable, which will be a shame as it is ripe for restoration. If someone could make contact with the owner maybe it would be worth another try. To be honest if I had more space and a bit more funding I would have a go, but to pay more than £4k for that I think is a bit unwise. Just my opinion.

A

Ok, on the subject of a register of surviving T's maybe we could get the ball rolling. It would be good to get something set up on this forum. I and at least one other member are happy to do a bit of work towards collating the information.

Jack/Joris et all - would it be possible to add a section that members could edit themselves? If not an excel table could be imported and updated?

Any thoughts?

I think someone should get this poor bugger out before it rots beyond redemption. When I spoke to the guy who owns it he was very sharp when I enquired about the advert he said “make it quick because I am going out and the phone is going off”, which is of course the perfect was to speak to someone you are trying to sell a grossly over-price vehicle to. He then suggested I should try again later. I did and got no reply, which was the last time I tried.

At that price there is no hope. Also, the tyres are flat and when the advert was out the starter motor was shot so getting it out may not be a straightforward proposition.

I fear that it will stay there until it is no longer salvageable, which will be a shame as it is ripe for restoration. If someone could make contact with the owner maybe it would be worth another try. To be honest if I had more space and a bit more funding I would have a go, but to pay more than £4k for that I think is a bit unwise. Just my opinion.

A

I made enq about buying that 980 some years ago and after a very brief discution he said it was built in 1946, also I might add that any truck with the starter removed usualy means the engine is u s and he does not want you to hear it run until it is to late for a refund.

I made enq about buying that 980 some years ago and after a very brief discution he said it was built in 1946, also I might add that any truck with the starter removed usualy means the engine is u s and he does not want you to hear it run until it is to late for a refund.

Hi Steve, yes, that is an old trick. You would have to buy it under the assumption that it needs a total restoration, mechanical and body (pushing the price even lower). Also it spent its life as a wrecker so it would have been worked very hard.

Cheers,

A

Hi Steve, yes, that is an old trick. You would have to buy it under the assumption that it needs a total restoration, mechanical and body (pushing the price even lower). Also it spent its life as a wrecker so it would have been worked very hard.

Cheers,

A

Hi Adrian

the fact that there aren't many around these days make people believe that sometimes the worst ones still have a high value, shame really as it will just rot away.

on the register front, i am willing to assist where I can as well.

If we could latch on to a bigger event and celebrate the 70th year that would really be something to see, as sort of 'T' in the park Festival:cool2:

Steve (MACCDT)

Are there still some at Severn Beach? May take a trip down to see them/ it if so.

Yes Matt there are two. When I visited in early 2008 they had not moved in a while. One is the ex-Watts of Lydney 981 with a Rolls-Royce engine and the other is Severn beach garages own 981 in desert cammo. He may still have his Pioneer gun tractor too...

Cheers,

A

Regarding 70th anniversary of the 980-981,I have long had a dream of seeing 5 yes five Diamonds coupled up to the Pickfords trailer at the Great Dorset steam fair, as per the famous Sheffield to Liverpool movements by Pickfords. Would not matter to me if they were civvy or military with hercules, cummings or leylands, i can almost hear them comming through Watford gap.Would be an enthusiasts dream come true if it happend.

Dont know if Dorset would be able to accomodate such an idea,it may also be a county to far regarding distance, just wanted to throw the idea (dream) into the forum.

Yes Matt there are two. When I visited in early 2008 they had not moved in a while. One is the ex-Watts of Lydney 981 with a Rolls-Royce engine and the other is Severn beach garages own 981 in desert cammo. He may still have his Pioneer gun tractor too...

Cheers,

A

Any idea as to what colour the Watts DT was, apparently they had three, I think Gloucesters was White (Photo on my blg site), Monmouth had a Blue one, so Lydneys was probably Red. I knew the apprentice who used to drive the Gloucester one. I used to go to Shottesbrooke Annual Wrecker Competions (nr Maidenhead) & I am sure Severn Beach used to travel upto that, as well as other firms, (see Les Freathy@s book Diamond T)

It`s a fantastic idea, the question is where would you hold it?

I`m sure any T owner wouldn`t really want to miss the event but how many could afford it?

In a previous thread i said that i know of 7 T`s in Essex, even getting those 7 together would take some doing.

I`m up for it.

It`s a fantastic idea, the question is where would you hold it?

I`m sure any T owner wouldn`t really want to miss the event but how many could afford it?

In a previous thread i said that i know of 7 T`s in Essex, even getting those 7 together would take some doing.

I`m up for it.

Possibly Diesel Heavy Haulage..GDSF.....If I know likely numbers I can start talking To Martin Oliver.....

Regarding 70th anniversary of the 980-981,I have long had a dream of seeing 5 yes five Diamonds coupled up to the Pickfords trailer at the Great Dorset steam fair, as per the famous Sheffield to Liverpool movements by Pickfords. Would not matter to me if they were civvy or military with hercules, cummings or leylands, i can almost hear them comming through Watford gap.Would be an enthusiasts dream come true if it happend.

Dont know if Dorset would be able to accomodate such an idea,it may also be a county to far regarding distance, just wanted to throw the idea (dream) into the forum.

Superb!!!!!!!

put my name down for this one,

If i start saving now i should be able to get some funds together in the next 22 months

let keep this idea going

MaccDT

RE 70 th anniversary Diamond 980-981 I hoped to get a positive reaction to the idea,not wrong yet.:D

I would definatly be up for the event ,and if part of Diesel heavy haulage that would be superb ,as the section proved to me to be one of the friendliest of any rallies i have ever attented,having been part of it for the first time this year.

Mike as far as im concerned, the sooner you contact Martin Oliver the better.