hi tony, yes , i was working my way up the leaves with a industrial hacksaw blade using some boiler section chisels to ease the leaves, and was four from the top when i noticed a tiny crack on the edge of the next leaf up,it was only the rust that held it together. the big problem was the two u clamp rear nuts which are impossible to get at with coventional socket set, i ended up borrowing a 46mm ringed flogging spanner from a mate in england and putting a 30 degree bend in 10ft of scaffold tube, with heat they eventually came undone, i doubt if they,d ever been off before. i will post some pics next week, hope all,s well with your family, all the best tony g.

hi adrian, i spoke to mark walker a couple of years ago at dorset steam fair about egg 570, his reply was 10,000 pounds take it or leave it. can you imagine paying that before restoration. diamond t stuff now is getting harder to find especially cabs, unless you can find a donor vehicle which now will probably be as bad condition, you are looking at a huge project and i think mr walker will be keeping the old girl for several years to come. perhaps pdw 321 would be a better project. i am currently having a new leaf made for my diamond wrecker, what a job dismantling the rear spring, it is being made in england, i won,t tell you price in case my wife is listening, bear this in mind and the cost of restoring egg, it cant be worth it, all the best tony g .

Hi Tony,

At that price he can keep it. Some people don't realise the value of what they have. No way is that woth £10k, ex-Pickfords or not.

I agree with your comments on restoration costs, i have spent near £10k on 566XUL and that was pretty complete. I really would hate to think what EGG 570 would cost.

Cheers,

A

Hi Tony,

At that price he can keep it. Some people don't realise the value of what they have. No way is that woth £10k, ex-Pickfords or not.

I agree with your comments on restoration costs, i have spent near £10k on 566XUL and that was pretty complete. I really would hate to think what EGG 570 would cost.

Cheers,

A

IT is a lot to pay if it is EGG 570. I am not saying one way or the other, but some out there who know a bit about vehicle history question the identity of EGG 570. If it isn't EGG it is a hell of a lot to pay!

I am not indicating any attempt at fraud, It may well be correctly indentified, just saying in some quarters there is doubt....

Hi Mike, hope all is well with the Antar. I hope to be at Dorset this year with the wrecker but at the moment we are very busy here with b&b and tours.

Please see four photos of EGG 570 in Walker's yard. I can confirm to the doubters that this is EGG 570 and who would want to take this. Pickfords ran nine Diamond T's. Some went to BRS as wreckers and some ended up in yards all over the country. Hope of interest. Tony

EGG570 1.jpg

EGG570 2.jpg

EGG570 3.jpg

EGG570 4.jpg

Blimey ! Mr Walker must definitely want to hang on to her and maybe the price is to deter people from asking ! :wow:

Or he could just state that it's not for sale. Then again he may be hoping for that potential buyer who will pay anything for what they want.

These things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. Maybe that's why Mark still has it.

Or he could just state that it's not for sale. Then again he may be hoping for that potential buyer who will pay anything for what they want.

These things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. Maybe that's why Mark still has it.

He want's very much to sell it. He doesn't need to sell it. Therefore it is not a bargain. He will wait until he gets the price he wants. (which he usually does)

Pictured here is my wrecker when being used by Gatwood's Garage in Maidstone. The era is early 1970's and the location is the River Medway. The Hydrocon crane has tipped over when removing a storage tank. The empty cradles can be seen on the middle of the photo and the tank can be seen at the end of the jib in the river. A wall had to be demolished to gain access and one of Gatwood's men, Ron Baily, had to climb out on the jib to attach a recovery cable. I have about forty of these photos taken during various recoveries using the DT. I will post some more later. Hope of interest. All the best Tony G.

Gatwood's 1970's.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I photographed this DT about 25 years ago. It had a Scania engine and hadn't been used for a long time. The yard was at the back of the famous Circus Tavern at Purfleet. They had two DT's, the other one was bought by John Hume of Dagenham, Essex. It was a soft top with a Hurcules engine and was painted yellow. I know John did a complete strip down in his garden and I helped him with a several bits and pieces but I lost contact with him and the two Diamonds just disappeared into the ether. I think the yard is now operated by Albany Recovery. Perhaps Les Freathy might know of their whereabouts. All the best. Tony G

1..jpg

Hi folks,

some Diamond T 981's from the low country's Belgium and The Netherlands :-D

The first is from the Belgium Military Army museum depot at Kapellen (near Antwerpen)

The second is at the Overloon Museum, the Netherlands

I have some other Diamond T's also

MichelK

Diamond T 981 Kape.jpg

Diamond T 980 Ove

Hi folks,

have 2 more Diamond T's to show, one's that you don't see to often

Especially in the Netherlands

First of all an Diamond T 968A SWB Cargo

The second is an vehicle that I actually have never seen any where else :undecided:

It is an Diamond T 975 pontoon, are there more survivors of this type of truck??

Allmost forgot :red: : both truck's are at the Overloon museum

MicelK

Diamond T 968A SWB&.jpg

Diamond T 975 pon&#1.jpg

Hi everybody, I have some photos of the Sterling HSC 330 heavy wrecker which a friend of mine sent me many years ago. He was a keen truck photographer and knew i was interested in WW2 vehicles. This is a very rare vehicle, probably because no one could afford the petrol. I could not find a forum for Sterlings so if anybody would like to see them I will print on this site. All the best. Tony G.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, I have posted two photos of a DT 980 found at a mine in Australia. I was in touch with the owner, I believe his name was Ron Winfer, for a long time but as usual time flies by and I lost contact. I know Ron bought the Diamond and built a special shed for it but I don't know if the project was ever completed. If you are out there Ron please get in touch on this site.

Hope of interest. Tony G.

1 - Aussi DT..jpg

2 - Aussi DT..jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks. did any of you see the article in the Daily Mail last week, of that old boys collection of all things useful in his shed, if you did, that Diamond T looks rather tasty, would it be original? as it appears to have a Wrecker body fitted, apparently the collection is open for one day only, I would go, but its a long way from Cheltenham just for a couple of hours & I might get diverted to a Garden Centre and miss the opening of the collection. Purhaps some nice person could go and take some photos of the collection, for us bods who cant afford the petrol to get there. Incedently Adrian, hows the restoration going, and have or are you moving to a new site, if you want a hand please let me know.

dizzy-t

:D(vj3346@talktalk.net)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What type of scammell is is pushing the trailer ? and why would a commercial company bemoving the tortoise, was the army lacking the equipment to move it them self?

Looks to me like a 45 Ton Chain drive (4x2) doing the pushing....

The Army only had what Pickfords had, the Army's largest tractor was the Diamond T, but they were short on trailers to carry over 40 Ton, although the new 50 Ton Dyson was coming into service for The A41 Centurion, but that is not big enough for tortoise, so the decision to give move to Pickfords was probably based on availability of a trailer, rather than availablility of a suitable tractor.

Edited by antarmike