Buyers guide...should we..?

Jack

Folks,

Following on from Lauren's WC 51 Buyers Guide - I think it would be rather helpful if we wrote a buyers guide to buying what every mv we would like to write about.

It doesn't have to be intensive guide but good enough to give someone an A-Z and may just help that someone not buy something they may regret.

It can be a team effort so that we have it covered and everyone is comfortable with making suggestions without the fear of being 'brought to task'

Questions like:

Rust

Engine

Eletrics

Transmission

Tracks

Etc etc......

We can then have this on the new front page. I feel this would be of great help to new members or to any of us who are looking for another vehicle.

Is this good idea?

Best wishes.

Jack.

Yes, yes, yes. I wondered about an uptodate price guide similar to one in CMV but expanding it to more vehicles. Its all very well seeing prices for landys, but it leaves out the more obscure, yet in common ownership vehilcles like say...the C8's, Iltis, bomb tractors to name a few.

Grerat start - well done folks.

We don't have to go to indepth on this (unless you would like to) but a format would be good so that we can all work to the same frame.

I am not worried by writing something that will/could be questioned as my ego is up for that and open for that and I hope others will feel the same...

Come on - lets make a difference.

Grerat start - well done folks.

a format would be good so that we can all work to the same frame.

How about:

• what to look for when doing pre-purchase inspection (incl technical stuff)

• known weak spots and/or common modifications done by owners to make it work "better" (at the expense of originality)

• dimensions/where can you store it (can bits be taken off easily to make it fit inside)

• ease of maintenance

• availablity of spare parts split between service parts/consumables and bits for (rivet counter) restoration purposes

• whats it like to drive

• how rare/historic (and by implication therefore resale value?)

I guess it would be too difficult to keep a price guide up to date in the way the magazines do unless someone trawls the small ads each month and even then asking price is not sale price ....

We did. It needs relooking at. However, I have a vested interest here as I am preparing the HMVF MV book. I'm keen to talk with whoever gets involved in this project about running the two in tandem, though the book has no place for prices because they will date so quickly. However, the two can run beautifully in harmony, so we will need to agree a joint strategy.

As you all know I have been working on pilot chapters of the book for the publisher and am pleased to say that the chosen subjects have gone well on many levels. A suitable text to satisfy them initially is ready; but I welcome further input.

In point of fact I enquired of 23 forum members about the GMC and have so far received seven really useful information documents from our friends with roughly the same number promised. I am more than willing to share this info and discuss methods. I think it would be irritating to all and sundry for example if I asked about a particular vehicle one month, and then the price guide did the same a month later. We are working to different deadlines and I need to prioritise for obvious reasons but we can get along swimmingly - even when I'm bonkers. So, lets talk.

Barnes

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Agree with the pros and cons sides. Also any special requirments such as packing the oil pump of a 101 with vaseline everytime you change oil and filter. The prices though I think that's a right can of worms.

Pack pump with vaseline every oil change,whos doing your service work Halfords.:rofl:After a rebuild or if you leave the sump empty overnight.

Pack pump with vaseline every oil change,whos doing your service work Halfords.:rofl:After a rebuild or if you leave the sump empty overnight.

No clearly in the workshop manual.:nono: great British enginnering, you can change the oil, then the filter or the filter then the oil, but not both together. :???

From RTC 9120 Land Rover 101 1 Tonne 4X4 Repair Operation Manual.

NOTE: The engine oil pump is located above the oil level in the sump and contains a primary charge of oil. Under normal circumstances, this primary charge is maintained by by the functioning of the lubrication system. However, (The dangerous word) if the oil filter is removed while the sump is drained, the charge may be lost and the pump will require re-priming. Therefore if possible avoid removing the oil filter while the sump is drained.:noyay::pfrt: I wouldn't trust the H place to SELL me the oil.

No clearly in the workshop manual.:nono: great British enginnering, you can change the oil, then the filter or the filter then the oil, but not both together. :???

HAYNES MAUAL ?

or if you leave the sump empty overnight.

Don't talk about it - last week I left a Cummins diesel to drain overnight. Next morning the first 15 litres of new oil went straight out of the plug-less sump, filling the pail before spreading across the workshop floor.

Filling (very slow and tedious) through the rocker cover my mind wandered and I found I'd put way too much in, so undid sump plug (side fitting) and watched a whole load of oil shoot over an empty pail onto floor again before I could get plug back in.

Oh well :sweat:

Well a few years ago some guy's I know got 'Helpful' and did an oil change on the boss'es car. A Jaguar auto, his pride and joy. So they drained the oil, changed the filter, drained the auto fluid and topped it all up. Pleased as punch. Out came boss, started car, engine didn't sound right, revved it and put it in drive. The noise brought people out for miles the bang as the box gave way sent them diving for cover. the burks, had topped the auto box with engine oil, then mised the engine oil cover and put same again of oil into the auto box. how they manged it the boss never bothered to find out, The P45's were sent by post. No it was NOT me . He objected to me driving it after I'd driven him to a meeting and complained there was a weird vibration from the front. I was told the car had just had a very expensive srvice at a top Jaguar garage and the mot done so what did I know. Well, when the front wheel bearing gave way later that afternoon I diplomatically refrained from comment.:)

Don't talk about it - last week I left a Cummins diesel to drain overnight. Next morning the first 15 litres of new oil went straight out of the plug-less sump, filling the pail before spreading across the workshop floor.

Filling (very slow and tedious) through the rocker cover my mind wandered and I found I'd put way too much in, so undid sump plug (side fitting) and watched a whole load of oil shoot over an empty pail onto floor again before I could get plug back in.

Oh well :sweat:

i do like a man who is not frightened to admit his mistakes,especially to the world.doesnt take much of a distraction.filled the pit up with sewage slurry from a six wheeler at thames water once,by mistake.the fact i was working my notice had nothing to do with it:-D