Scammell Constructor Gallery.

Could well be 6x6, it looks to have mudflaps which the cargo versions didn't, and wasn't the shaped roof bracing only used on the gun tractors? Would you like me to identify the mechanical malady that caused it to be 'on tow'?

It appears to have a similar wooden body and hoop configuration as the type that were fitted to MK1 Militant gun tractors but the rear end chassis detail doesn't look, to me, quite right for it to be a Militant. I await comment from Les before speculating any further.

No mechanical malady Mike ! It was towed back from Ruddington, maybe behind the Constructor, to save on fuel/drivers.

Edited by 6 X 6

Les,

If you think it was taken in Portsmouth area, then I think it was taken in a long gone dealers yard just off the A3M as you come down towards Hayling Island. Was it called Southern Counties or something like that :???

Might that have been Southern Counties Trading? And was it that company who traded as several different names before becoming Winchester Marine, who now have a 2nd depot at RAF Binbrook, Market Rasen , Lincs and have simply loads of useful trucks, engines, gearboxes and other stuff as well as a lot of ex MOD kit, or am I talking complete scribble again?

The following link shows a very usual vehicle.

One of a pair of Constructors acquired by the Ministry of Supply in the early 1950's as part of their thriving skip hire business. Imagine what a thrill it must have been to have one of these lovely Scammells deliver a skip right outside your semi to take all your garden waste away.

Not many people know about the MoS trail-blazing the skip business with Constructors all those years ago but Mr.John Harrington seems to and, as military vehicle officer of The AEC Society and vintage Scammell owner, I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

http://ccmv.fotopic.net/p25956379.html

The following link shows a very usual vehicle.

One of a pair of Constructors acquired by the Ministry of Supply in the early 1950's as part of their thriving skip hire business. Imagine what a thrill it must have been to have one of these lovely Scammells deliver a skip right outside your semi to take all your garden waste away.

Not many people know about the MoS trail-blazing the skip business with Constructors all those years ago but Mr.John Harrington seems to and, as military vehicle officer of The AEC Society and vintage Scammell owner, I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

http://ccmv.fotopic.net/p25956379.html

Any photos exist of these two in service ! I assume they loaded with the winch pulling the skip onto the lorry whilst the front wheels came off the ground ! My Dad saw this demonstrated when doing his driving course at Scammells Watford factory !

Grundon ran this constructor as a skip loader, it had hydraulic arms as per a modern skip loader, but I thought it started life as a MOS tank transporter, and was converted to skip work by Grundons. Now owned by Dave Mobbs at Didcot.

Yes, thank you Mike, you're quite correct.

This lorry is actually NGY 593 the ex.MoS tank transporter as shown in the photograph below. John Harrington should know better than to describe this historically important Scammell as a MoS "skip carrier" hence my earlier sarcastic post.

sc001a8ea7.jpg

At the time when Dave Mobbs was showing this lorry as a driving chassis, with no cab, at Banbury I wrote to him saying I knew of a suitable Constructor ballast body that was for sale but received no reply. Does anyone know if this NGY 593 now has acquired a body ?

I don't know whether I have ever posted this story but here goes.

Whilst travelling down to GDSF with the Antar, towing the Dyson, loaded backards first with my Douglas 4x4, and towing my psuedo Airfield control tower red and white box trailer, passing the Didcot slip, the Antars fuel pump shed its balance weights through the Ali casing, bringing me to a halt. I had enough inertia to get my rig onto the entry slip road. Having looked at the possibility of unloading the Douglas on the carraige way of the A34, and driving it down the slip road in the wrong direction, with a view to turning it round so I could recover myself and discounted the idea as ludicrous.

I rang Dave Mobbs who came out with this Contractor, and first of all towed the solo Antar all the way to the Isis Slip, over the A34, and back into a pear farm in Harwell. The Antar had no power steering and no brakes. His lad sat in the cab with me and helped me steer by holding top and bottom of the steering wheel, whilst I held the sides.This was hairy enough.

But then Dave went back out to get the Dyson, and living van. He had no towing Socket or air couplings on the Constructor so I sat in The Douglas, engine running, with its airlines and electrical susie coupled to the Dyson. Darkness was falling

Looking out the douglas' back window I worked the trailer brakes as required, and signalled left or right turn by putting the other hand indicator on in the Douglas. (as I said it was on the trailer backwards so left and right were reversed.)

Dave Mobbs was wonderful. I can't thank him enough.