Scammell Constructor Gallery.

Has anyone ever seen one of the Crusader cab Super Constructors restored or in service maybe ? Some pics would be good ! :-D Andy

Andy, there was a very nice ex ministry one for sale some years ago at a dealer in the Kidlington area. They look rather strange as most were built with an offset cab.

Anyone know the history behind this one? Could it be a prototype for a gun tractor? Looks like it has a Rolls C6 diesel and 12.00 tyres.

I had the opportunity to view this vehicle in the company of Steve Guest at his yard some years ago. At the time, Steve told me that this Constructor had been rescued from Pound's yards in a very poor state, I think, as a cab and chassis. The original steel "Bedford type" cab was so badly corroded that Steve decided to build a new one into which he incorporated, listen up Gritineye, doors from a Martian gun tractor. From what I understood at the time, everything one can see in the way of cab, rear body and rear mudguards were fabricated by Steve. I don't remember asking Steve if the engine was original, or if he had replaced a petrol Meadows, with a diesel. I may be wrong, and as we all know I often am, but I have always understood that this Constructor had originally been a straight forward 20 ton ballast tractor.

Steve rallied this Constructor for a number of years, I saw it at a HMV show near Southhampton about 12 years ago towing the living van Steve built himself, before he sold it to a friend.

I find at least two points on the owner's description, which I am assuming was displayed on this vehicle when Andy photographed it, a little hard to understand. Firstly, this Constructor is described as a "Heavy Recovery Tractor" that surprises me as I had always thought of the Explorer as undertaking that role. The second detail I find a little odd, is that in relation to other 20 ton ballast tractors, if that is what it was, is that the chassis number 9111 appears to be right out of sequence. Bearing in mind that it is said the original reg. was PGK 887, (is that a MoS number ?) then this Constructor may well have an unusual and interesting history. Until I can learn more about this lorry some things don't quite add up. Maybe Steve Guest, or the present owner, would be kind enough to enlighten us further.

Says something about the price of scrap if good ones like that are being scrapped!

Or is that how it will appear on ebay? Like a veiled threat.

As to the doors, I was just about to edit that post to say they also look a lot like the ones on some civilian crewcab constructors, no need now. :coffee:

The chassis nos 9111-2 were supplied under contract no 6/VEH/17778/CB27B, civil (not MEXE), PGK 887-8, no date is shown in list.

There is one Constructor under contract no KL/H/0402/CB27B, listed as supplied to MEXE, but no date or chassis no.

Maybe the reason for wanting an other Heavy recovery Tractor may have been to get a vehicle with more lifting ability, (the Explorer's rear axle pivots too far forward to lift more) the Constructors were only considered to be medium mobility as far as I understand it, I cant recall where I got that last bit from, it may be incorrect.

Edited by gritineye

saome years ago steve showed me the paperwork (original order or chassis build?) for this Scammell. I was concidering buying it,

I thought it was described as Tractor, Heavy, Scammell Contractor, I do not remember seeing recovery as part of the description.

There is one Constructor under contract no KL/H/0402/CB27B, listed as supplied to MEXE, but no date or chassis no.

Suggest this mght be the high-speed road surfacing vehicle built by MEXE for British and US armies. A good photo appears on page 121 of Nick Georgano's nice book "Scammell The Load Movers from Watford". Shows 'MEXE No. 812' on the door.

The chassis nos 9111-2 were supplied under contract no 6/VEH/17778/CB27B, civil (not MEXE), PGK 887-8, no date is shown in list.

OK, here is the Sales Order (11940 - 5) for the 4 vehicles originally ordered by M.O.S. in November 1954.

You will see that the registration numbers allocated were PGK887 to PGK890, with 2 vehicles promised by June 1955, the other 2 in July 1955.

Note how this was ammended from 4 to 2 vehicles, the 2 built (to sales orders 11940/1) were chassis nos 9111 and 9112.

At some stage the order for the other 2 was reinstated (see Sales Order 11942/3 alteration note, requesting fitment of 14.00 x 20 tyres).

Now, it was known from Scammell records that the second 2 went to Australia, but that was all. Then some guy called AndyFowler posts a picture of his Dad's RAF Constructor on Christmas Island and I noticed the registration number PGK89something.

It suddenly dawned on me what I was looking at, and then I realised that the photographs in Pat Ware's 'Tugs of War' page 124 showed not an Experimental Constructor-based tow/recovery vehicle as described, but the 2 vehicles which went to Australia and on to Christmas Island, complete with barrage balloon winches!

Back to PGK887/8. Museum of Army Transport Beverley discovered that PGK888 was definitely at Chertsey 1956/7 for experimental work. Steve Guest believed that PGK887 was at MEXE.

Note the slight differences between PGK887/8 and the M.O.S. tank haulers - these two have a 20T military style tow hook fitted, the tank haulers had civilian heavy hauler style jaws.

PGK887/8 also had civilian cabs, in that both driver's and mate's windscreens hinged open - military 20T/30T cabs had only the driver's window hinged. Also civilian instruments. I imagine the tank haulers had a civilian cab too??

So what of the vehicles? Well PGK887 is certainly still alive, albeit with some surgery - PGK888 is "resting pending return to service" - and I'll let Andy tell you what happened to PGK889/890........

So, another mystery solved thanks to HMVF :n00b:

And to think, if Andy had not put the picture up, we would almost certainly never been able to solve the mystery surrounding these vehicles, I would probably never have got to meet his dad (great guy, and he can still handle a Scammell gearbox ater a 50 year tea-break), and I would probably not have clunked my head (yet again) on the roof of my old Constructor cab changing batteries - still got a stiff neck :argh: Wouldn't have missed it for the world though! :)

Lets have some more military Constructors then :yay:

Sales Order 1.jpg

Sales Order 2.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

Does any one fancy setting up a brief register of the surviving military Constructors on here ?

Although, one day, it would be wonderful if someone were to publish a website devoted to the various Constructor types until that comes about, I was wondering if we could make a small start by compiling a list of the survivors, plus brief details, of what is known about them.

I don't think it is important who the present owners are but any other information related to the vehicles could be included and, where possible, a photograph.

As this is the HMVF I'm thinking we might exclude Constructors that are now bright orange recovery trucks and stick with Constructors that you could drive around W&P without causing too much alarm. I would feel that PGK 887 would qualify, even though we all know it's not 100% original, it does look the part.

If other people think this would be a good idea there remains the question of what would be the best way to go about it. What I had in mind, but I'm very open to other posters better ideas, is that one person (not me !) could act as an "editor" maintaining a single post while anyone with a contribution to make could PM them with the information for inclusion. I'm suggesting this because otherwise this proposed "Register of Surviving Constructors" would just become a hodge podge of different posts rather than a single source.

What do you think ?

Does any one fancy setting up a brief register of the surviving military Constructors on here ?

Although, one day, it would be wonderful if someone were to publish a website devoted to the various Constructor types until that comes about, I was wondering if we could make a small start by compiling a list of the survivors, plus brief details, of what is known about them.

I don't think it is important who the present owners are but any other information related to the vehicles could be included and, where possible, a photograph.

As this is the HMVF I'm thinking we might exclude Constructors that are now bright orange recovery trucks and stick with Constructors that you could drive around W&P without causing too much alarm. I would feel that PGK 887 would qualify, even though we all know it's not 100% original, it does look the part.

If other people think this would be a good idea there remains the question of what would be the best way to go about it. What I had in mind, but I'm very open to other posters better ideas, is that one person (not me !) could act as an "editor" maintaining a single post while anyone with a contribution to make could PM them with the information for inclusion. I'm suggesting this because otherwise this proposed "Register of Surviving Constructors" would just become a hodge podge of different posts rather than a single source.

What do you think ?

Always wondered how many Scammell's both Constructors and Explorers have been preserved ! Would like to see a photographic list that is maybe in order of chassis number ! I think the colour scheme should not matter to much as long as they are military origionally and still survive in some form ! I don't know how the posts could be added to keep the list in order though ! Like the idea but not sure how to start ! Could then post messages on other classic vehicle sites requesting owners or observers to add their sitings ! Andy

So what of the vehicles? Well PGK887 is certainly still alive, albeit with some surgery - PGK888 is "resting pending return to service" - and I'll let Andy tell you what happened to PGK889/890........

Well rather than leave this up in the air, it seems all the vehicles and equipment were abandoned on the island after the tests.

As to whether the two Constructors are still there, this is as far as I have been able to get -

Here is an extract from the log from a boat's voyage in 2000, describing the remains on the island -

Driving around this surprisingly large island, we noticed that the scenery changes slowly, the horizon consisting mainly of row after row of non-native coconut palms, splendid in their windblown greens and yellows. Our first stop was not what you would expect on a coral atoll. Christmas, unlike Tarawa the country's capitol, was never a battleground but was used as a base for the Allied Pacific Air Command in the Second World War. Remnants of the occupation are everywhere, great piles of abandoned equipment have been left to rust, permanently marring the landscape. This includes more than 1 million steel drums, along with tons of machinery scattered among the palm trees. Military facilities were extended when Christmas was chosen as a base for British and U.S. nuclear bomb tests, as were many desert atolls of the Pacific Ocean region, as they appeared to be vast empty spaces. We stopped at the detonation sites of the British tests viewing the hooks that anchored the bomb before the release of the balloon that carried it into the atmosphere, and the bunkers from which the explosions were viewed. Radiation tests have subsequently been carried out on the island, which apparently bares no ill effects. However we were told of the millions of birds that were killed and the island inhabitants taken aboard Allied ships and shown movies during the detonations and shortly returned to the island. Fortunately, the British Government has finally taken responsibility and are sending in a cleanup team in April 2001 to remove their equipment.

So it looks likely that the Constructors were removed (scrapped?) in 2001 as part of a cleanup operation. There was also a US operation to remove their kit sometime before 2000.

And from a different source - a picture of a row of Phoenix Model PA bitumen sprayers, used in the constructon of the test area, awaiting clearance as part of the cleanup operation (sorry, this is as close as I've been able to get!!).

Tar boilers - another 'first' on HMVF :-D

xmasboilers.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.