Humber PIG Pictures

13BK76

Just checked in on Withams Tender list again, and they have posted a picture for the "Last in Service" Humber, looking at it the guide price of 4500 GBP looks a bit optimistic. Anybody know any history of it, it seems to have been released with other Ambulances, there is a 101FC and a Series 2 Ambulance also listed as "Training Aids".

LOT 282Humber 1 ton 4 x 4 Ambulance with Rolls Royce B60 Engine The Last One in Service

Registration Number: 13 BK 14, Mileage From: 2077 miles

13BK14 Withams.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon
Because your worth it!!

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Anybody know any history of it, it seems to have been released with other Ambulances, there is a 101FC and a Series 2 Ambulance also listed as "Training Aids".

LOT 282Humber 1 ton 4 x 4 Ambulance with Rolls Royce B60 Engine The Last One in Service

Registration Number: 13 BK 14, Mileage From: 2077 miles

I wonder if they came from the Royal Army Medical Corp training centre@ Keogh barracks nr Aldershot, they used to have numerous training aid vehicles there

Edited by Nick Johns

what a graet job, could i ask if you had to adjust engine mounts??,

,and as you know gents my axal had it. still go,s hopefully want to TRY and up rate it some how, any ideas>>>

i had to make new engine mounts on the chassis to use the original mounts on engine, if you look on first pic you can see them on front crossmember

well now the engine is in and it runs time to get her out and give her a wash

these pics show how she was when i bought her i have done nothing yet to the outside and no there are not any wings i am going to make these from scratch :confused:

081307064806.jpg

DSCN0212.jpg

DSCN0218.jpg

DSCN0217.jpg

I wonder if they came from the Royal Army Medical Corp training centre@ Keogh barracks nr Aldershot, they used to have numerous training aid vehicles there

Nick you are right it used to be a training aid. It was struck off on 28/7/94 to "Range Ams Training Group" whatever that was. Records show no mention of an ambulance role, possible it has been only painted in that role. Someone expecting to buy an ambulance needs to check out the inside first.

Incidentally it was originally struck off on 22/5/67 & sold at Ruddington on 4/10/67 for £80.

what happened to the rest?

Range targets mainly!

There were 32 or 31.

12 operational

12 in reserve

4/5 prototypes

1 wooden mock up

One is on display at Bovy, one is at Saumur Museum, P4 prototype in Australia, one incomplete one is in Sussex - for sale (pm me if interested), one was rebodied as a pig in NI, 2 went to JATE (see below)

Hornet2a.jpg

Range targets mainly!

There were 32 or 31.

12 operational

12 in reserve

4/5 prototypes

1 wooden mock up

One is on display at Bovy, one is at Saumur Museum, P4 prototype in Australia, one incomplete one is in Sussex - for sale (pm me if interested), one was rebodied as a pig in NI, 2 went to JATE (see below)

Hornet2a.jpg

Didnt bounce very well:-D

PM sent.

Is the kit and parts hard to source for them?

Yes. Although, but much of the automotive component is pure Humber. The control panel is from a Saladin, the 100A alternator from a Mk1 FV432, the inverters & rotary converter are either custom made or from aeronautical designs long since obsolete.

Yes. Although, but much of the automotive component is pure Humber. The control panel is from a Saladin, the 100A alternator from a Mk1 FV432, the inverters & rotary converter are either custom made or from aeronautical designs long since obsolete.

Not a impossable task then. just time waiting for parts to pop up.

awaiting your PM.

PM sent. If I didn't have the one already, I would have bought this other one. Probably the only available one in the world at the moment. All the automotive stuff can be got be some means. I know of someone who has a number of alternators & I have some brand new generator panels.

The biggest challenge is making the rear arm & hydraulics.

thought about cutting a bit of armour off but then again she wont be original, have spoke to a local engeneering firm, and thay are looking into it, failing that , she will be put on a lowloader and the guy i bought it from will be taking it back, i shook his hand and took the word of a gentleman but honesty has run out of this once graet country, its a real shame, theres a lot of real nice guys out there, but i met a wrong one and basically lied,both axels are knackerd,. damn expensive, legal action isnt an option.

Paul you have had a nasty & sobering experience, now we can see why it changed hands so many times on ebay.

But what exactly is the diagnosis? Do you mean front & rear or both rear axles & what has failed? The shafts themselves or the tracta joints?

I wouldn't contemplate having bodywork undertaken until the automotive issues are fully resolved. If you return it you have damaged it, if you sell it at some stage, you have destroyed the originality & hence value.

Not a suggestion I really like but something that might have occured to you in the darker moments of owning the thing. What is the scrap value of the whole thing? If it equalled or exceeded what you paid for it then, you have to weigh up in ones personal circumstances whether to 'cash it in' & perhaps buy hardyferret's Mk 1 which is a runner & in good condition.

Edited by fv1620