Humber PIG Pictures

13BK76

Paul I've never had wheel studs snap. I've had them detach from the locking lug on the inside, but never shear, but it sounds as if you have had several shear. Are you absolutely sure on the near side you are remembering to turn the wheel wrench clockwise to release? Obviously anti-clockwise on the offside to release.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COMPLIMENTS OF THE SEASON TO ONE AND ALL,

NEW YEAR AND NEW INCENTIVE!!!!!! no just more work, has any one out there in PIG LAND any decent pictures of the rear bench seats as fitted in a mk1.

PS our first outing will be on 22/02/09 at South Cheshire Militaire, check out southcheshiremiliare.co.uk for more details

cheers FASTTRAX

It looks straight forward to fabricate from standard steel lengths. There are no special "fancy bits" as Fred Dibnah would say. The cushion is fine grade canvas enclosing horse hair. Not much bounce but better than the Mk 2 wooden benches. I can measure the steel thickness if that helps.

Still in the yard then Clive ? Thought she was off to pastures new ! :confused:

Sorry didn't see your post. Yes I wish it would go as its blocking access so we can't get the caravan out past it & nor can we get hay delivered in any quantity as it comes on tractor & long trailer.:(

It looks straight forward to fabricate from standard steel lengths. There are no special "fancy bits" as Fred Dibnah would say. The cushion is fine grade canvas enclosing horse hair. Not much bounce but better than the Mk 2 wooden benches. I can measure the steel thickness if that helps.

Just for info, if you get hold of an old army safari bed, the type with the bent wire legs, and cut the stitching carefully using a razor, it leaves you with a big piece of the correct type of canvas to cover your bench seat with, i made one up using 1" box section in a similiar pattern, cut out a plywood base, covered it in foam and then covered that with the canvas, seems to work quite well, just need to make the back rest now!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been told by someone that knows the relative of somebody else that knows someone maybe, that they think my particular vehicle driven by them was involved in a road side bomb explosion, in Northern Ireland killing the commander who was a black soldier, everybody else in the vehicle survived, albeit very concussed.

Now i cant find anything that links a pig with such an incident, i thought i was onto the trail at one point, but it turned out to be a 16/5 lancers Ferret...so the lead stopped there, I dont have much in the way of research info for Northern Ireland so my investigations fizzled out....but surely the info would be there somewhere?

Anyway, there are quite a few clues on the vehicle that may show it has had a harder than average life, the following are points i have found on the vehicle which indicate that its had something happen on the commanders side. So here it is a collection of pictures of damage that has since been repaired, but shows it may have suffered a blast.

This is the floor, note no fuel filler/tank, and the repair is far from new, also i think the bulkhead has been replaced at some point, and no build plate on the bulkhead:-

DSC01540.jpg

DSC01541.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon

The two offside rear hatches on the drivers side have been bent flattened down and welded, it looks like the hatch hinges have gone over centre, as if been blown open, what you cant see in the pics is where the hinge stops have made quite a ding in the armour.

The bottom of the two pictures show the welds broken along the top of the hatch aperture.

DSC01536.jpg

DSC01537.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon

This is pictures of the left hand rear door, the hinges have had a fair bit of work, the first picture is the top hinge, the dings in it look like it has been heated and battered back to shape, the other picture is the lower hinge, which has been welded back together, the hinges dont operate correctly as the Pin turns in the hinge as opposed to the hinge turning on the pin, and the door has a very slight bend, which takes a good hard push to latch in place. The last picture is the door stop, which is 1/4" plate and bent!

DSC01535.jpg

DSC01547.jpg

Adam it’s certainly had some mistreatment & its fascinating to speculate how this damage might have occurred. Was it in some major incident in NI or just neglect in a scrap yard with other stuff piled onto it? The repairs don't look of a good enough standard to have been done by REME. I know they were under considerable pressure over there, but the various repairs on my pigs were of a better quality.

It is surprising that the Army would accept a single tank in a pig if drivers in the rest of the fleet were relying on using two tanks. Replacement tanks were manufactured for NI & were available. The most obvious difference was size of the drain hole bolt. So I think it unlikely that the single tank mod was the work of REME.

My guess is that a previous owner, unable to find a replacement tank wanted to gloss over its absence by fitting chequered plate over it. The foot well repair looks dubious. I suspect it was a previous owner that fabricated the wings, I don’t mean this unkindly but the asymmetry of the sidelights doesn’t look like the work of a REME workshop.

Do you know whether your pig did go to NI? I think yours has no side lockers, now that could be a NI mod. Or it could be that they just rusted away & maybe that’s what happened to the wings? I wonder what underwing reinforcing there is? Mk 1 wings had a large X pattern of ‘top hat’ channelling underneath. All Mk 2 pigs had Mk 1 wings to start with as these wings got damaged whether it was Mk 1 or Mk 2 they were fitted with repro wings, which had no lockers. The reinforcement was 3 parallel runs of ‘top hat’ channelling underneath.

I can see where the body contract plate was, someone has nicked it but who & when we won’t ever know. All Mk 1 pigs that served in NI that I have seen had certain modifications that I can’t see on yours. Screen washers were fitted. The reservoir was from a Lightweight & was fitted where your generator panel is. The gen panel was moved to the engine bay in the front nearside corner.

The foot wells were fitted with GRP plates at an early stage.

The FWD lever was modified; does yours have any holes in it?

A mesh frame was fitted over the front visors, which were usually kept open. Can you find any remnants of the hinge welds? Or of the catches on the visors to hold the springs to keep the mesh held up & a single catch on the central piece that supports the engine bay hatches?

Whether it went to NI or not doesn’t detract from the prestige of owning a pig & the fact that it could have had a far more interesting history well before the Army used any pigs in NI! Although I know the public can be infuriating if they think your vehicle hasn’t been in their terms “in action”. Like the expectation that all Jeeps were at D-Day or the disappointment that the Hornet, when I had it, was not actually “in a real war”.:)

Metropolitan Police do have two armoured backed beasts, Fords I think they are. MOD Police (MODPLOD) had some Saxon's, and the Ukilalies (UK Atomic Energy Agency Police) have some odditys hidden about. The UK route seems to be DOVES (Discreet Operational Vehicles) for work on the street.
The met have four Ford F250 based armoured vehicles built by Jankel.Plus quite a few glover webb armoured Landrovers. Edited by Lord Burley

I thought you sold that? did they not collect in the end? is it still for sale?

Paul, it was priced for a quick sale to clear some space. Although it has been sold, its still here and getting more picturesque by the day.

DSCF0092.jpg

I’ve had mixed fortunes in the grand sale. I have sold things that still haven’t been collected. Some people have said they will buy things, and then won’t communicate. One person has received things, but won’t pay or communicate. Although the majority of people have been straightforward in their dealings.

Edited by fv1609

Let's put this one to bed... Clives is well aware that Ian's waiting to hear back from the transport company, we were let down on the first one he booked, & all the others we contacted never got back to us.. the one we are using is the one who delivered it there about 10years ago.. BTW the Pig is paid for too...

Edited by Marmite!!