Scammell Explorer Gallery

Hi - I am new to the site.

I own the Scammell Explorer OSJ 698 Thor - it has been discussed with the wrong Reg (wrong reg no OSJ 693) so thought I would put a quick message on to let you guys know !!:cool2:

A very warm welcome to the forum ! Scammell rules OK !!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That one has a BT vehicle number, did it transfer from the RAF to the Army?
Dave Hardy wrote in an old Scammell owners and enthusiasts magazine that in 1967 00BT01 to 49BT99 are receipts (in Military talk,basically numbers allocated) from other services ! So I guess it was transfered from RAF to Army Mike !

I own the Scammell Explorer OSJ 698 Thor - it has been discussed with the wrong Reg (wrong reg no OSJ 693) so thought I would put a quick message on to let you guys know !!:cool2:

Welcome mate ! The more the merrier ! Lovely Explorer ! Stick a few pictures on please !

If it is a RAF Explorer it's probably the Vacuum tank for vacuum braked trailers. RAF Matadors also carried a Vacuum tank, on account of the high number of vacuum braked trailers the RAF ran. (also connected with last post) later RAF Explorers had a vacuum gauge below the Gearbox oil pressure gauge.

I see. Thanks Antarmike. I'd not seen one with this fitted before. Cheers. Daz

Welcome to the forum! There has been some confusion before as I own an Explorer christened Thor (BSV 704)too! This is unlikely to be at a show any time soon though.In fact we're not a million miles apart as I live just on the western side of the Devon/cornwall border and travel up and down through Dorset a fair bit. Nice to have another Explorer owner here. Would love to see more photos too when you have a chance.Daz

Can't be sure Daz, as I ain't seen it for a while, but I suspect it holds extra air for the steering when shunting about a lot at low engine revs, the original compressor can't cope. I had one fitted once and it was very useful, not needed now with the Cummins compressor.

All engineering on Amos's and his dad Mike's Scammells (they've got a few) is high standard stuff.

Air assisted power steering??:confused: I thought the steering box was big and had a lot of plumbing. More used to seeing hydraulic assist power steering with only two hoses. These Scammells are stranger than I thought:)

May have to visit the Queen and see some of these in real time.

Hey Dude, the steering column has what you could call a "differential" 1/2 way down, in other words it is like a 'through drive' (or leading bogie) axle. There is an air valve on each side (where the axle drive shafts would be).

Think of it like this:

When the steering wheel is turned, the differential allows the 'through drive' to turn the steering box until resistance causes the differential to actuate one of the 'drive shafts' to a valve. This admits air to one or other side of a servo cylinder.

There is an inherent lag in the system, which makes the whole thing behave like a

"Power Steering System with a serious ATTITUDE PROBLEM" :cool2:

The logic sounds similar to the familiar hydraulic power steering, but they usually have the steering input torque sensing valve and the hydraulic assist pistons all in one casting.

"Power Steering System with a serious ATTITUDE PROBLEM"

The driver just has to have more ATTITUDE than the Steering System!!

Air assisted power steering??:confused: I thought the steering box was big and had a lot of plumbing. More used to seeing hydraulic assist power steering with only two hoses. These Scammells are stranger than I thought:)

May have to visit the Queen and see some of these in real time.

Watch this for authentic steering sounds Dude,

http://www.hmvftv.com/watch/e9456013a2a51d4dff70/Meadows-engined-Scammell-Explorer

Ermmm...........don't know how to tell you this but........the Queen collects corgies, not Scammells, she has not had the right education I'm afraid.

Hi Daz76 - Have owned truck for ten years and have been from Stoke to Ardlingly to your part of the world and back again. Very spooky as my truck has Leyland TL12 which was the AEC760 block - she purrs like a kitten! Am sorting pictures at the moment and will get them on soon as possible. Know little of her history except she came from British Areospace Dynamics group as was on the door and was parked in a barn in Taunton for ten years. Have had numerous problems with running gear which are now mainly sorted (touch wood). Body work has been good up to now but she could do with a little lovin in that department. She sits in Gods workshop so its hard to do!

Hi Andy - how long have you got

Brought truck with meadows petrol with head gasket gone so fitted a tired leyland 680 lump. Oil pump blew as shims were in the wrong way. Rear prop shaft broke and bent pinon so brought a scapper for spares and replaced pinon and prop. Changed engine to TL12 with big end gone - alot of work for nothing!! Got another TL12 which is in there now - she sounds as sweet as a nut will try to get some audio for you. Then gear box began to protest - 1st no pressure then front mount and then it dismantled itself on rally field!! nursed home and put another gear box in which screamed it nuts off in top. Put another in which was the same so checked clutch - double plated clutch centres rivits worn so put new clutch and third gear box has been good as gold! Then wallking beam snapped a tooth on half shaft gear which locked it up so fitted walking beam gears from the scrapper but had problems pulling the hubs so had to swap left to right on hubs. Alot of work!! These are the highlights-I have also had all the usual explorer niggles !!

Hi Andy - how long have you got

Brought truck with meadows petrol with head gasket gone so fitted a tired leyland 680 lump. Oil pump blew as shims were in the wrong way. Rear prop shaft broke and bent pinon so brought a scapper for spares and replaced pinon and prop. Changed engine to TL12 with big end gone - alot of work for nothing!! Got another TL12 which is in there now - she sounds as sweet as a nut will try to get some audio for you. Then gear box began to protest - 1st no pressure then front mount and then it dismantled itself on rally field!! nursed home and put another gear box in which screamed it nuts off in top. Put another in which was the same so checked clutch - double plated clutch centres rivits worn so put new clutch and third gear box has been good as gold! Then wallking beam snapped a tooth on half shaft gear which locked it up so fitted walking beam gears from the scrapper but had problems pulling the hubs so had to swap left to right on hubs. Alot of work!! These are the highlights-I have also had all the usual explorer niggles !!

Bloody hell ! Wish I hadn't asked now mate ! Did you dump the meadows petrol ?

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Boat - :-D That Champ/Landrover hybrid looks more like a Suzuki :cool2:

A butch Suzuki,still working up to the mid 90s iam told.:-D

Blimey Thor! You're certainly not put off easily! Surprised I have'nt bumped into you somewhere. Hoping that I don't have too many mechanical niggles when I FINALLY hit the road again, sometime before the next millenium.......:-D

Ermmm...........don't know how to tell you this but........the Queen collects corgies, not Scammells, she has not had the right education I'm afraid.

Quite correct Bernard, I have first hand experience:

icon1.gifRe: What's your claim to fame.......

Back in the summer of 1968 while waiting to go to college, I was working for a company in Cricklewood that supplied juke boxes and fruit machines to clubs and pubs in the London area. One evening, the boss asked for 2 of us to work late on a huge juke box installation in the Windsor area, so we set off in the van along the M4 and as we approached Windsor I looked at the job sheet to find the address - Windsor Castle!

It turned out that HM put on a huge party for her offspring every year based in the games room at the castle, a huge room with a wooden polo pony on springs surrounded by a net as the centre piece. After dragging all the kit in, my job was to connect everything up, so there I was trying to hide the speaker cables behind all the exotic plants when a pair of playful dogs leapt up and grabbed the bottom of my t-shirt. Somewhat surprised, I let out a 'get down you b**tards' and sent one of the dogs flying with a smart back hander. At this point I was suddenly aware of a casually dressed female who was taking three Corgis for a tour of the grounds, and my immediate thought was that she looked very familiar.... Yes, you have guessed it, HM herself, grinning from ear to ear at my antics.

Bashing a royal mutt, swearing at another, I was expecting to get arrested on the spot, but as far as I could see there was no visible security and HM came over and chatted for several minutes before continuing her walk. Later as we were testing the system, Andrew and Edward appeared but were most concerned that they had no money and would be unable to play their favourite top 20 tunes. Needless to say the machine was set to free play and I showed them how to pre-select a number of records. From memory the princes were 6 and 10 at the time, and the Corgi soon recovered and made friends.

progress.gif