Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew the couple that owned this rig at the time the picture was taken. Unfortunately it was stolen from them and the police were unable to help - it was apparently never seen again.

Grey Area, it's nice to have another traveller on the forum.

I can only imagine there were very unusual circumstances when this Explorer 'disappeared'. There was a lot of UFO activity at around this time. It's not a coincidence Glastonbury Tor, Avebury Stone Circle and the old Scammell factory at Watford are all on the same ley line.

Quite a few of us on here are fans of Dave's wondrous website.

http://www.travellerhomes.co.uk/

:wave: Her indoors has just been looking on ebay under scammell and on the second page foun a bloke selling part worn tyres starting at £25 various tred patterns. Any good? I've already got a new set but if your stuck for tyres you never know.:undecided:

:wave: Her indoors has just been looking on ebay under scammell and on the second page foun a bloke selling part worn tyres starting at £25 various tred patterns. Any good? I've already got a new set but if your stuck for tyres you never know.:undecided:

hi just out of intrest where can you get new tyres 14.00/20 18ply bargrips or track grips .i have tryed several places but could only get part worn, need full set of 7 tyers.:banghead:

I think you can get new tyres from the same man who sells the rocking horse poo. Last time i spoke to michelin they said they were not planning a production run any time soon but that was a couple of years ago. Bet you wouldn't see change from 3 grand for a set mabey even more. there was a website in america and they had tons of them cheap.

I think you can get new tyres from the same man who sells the rocking horse poo. Last time i spoke to michelin they said they were not planning a production run any time soon but that was a couple of years ago. Bet you wouldn't see change from 3 grand for a set mabey even more. there was a website in america and they had tons of them cheap.

Goodyear 14.00x20 NDCC 18 ply were £660+vat back in the late '80s :shocked:. I managed to get 10 new ones from Militants that were being broken up and had new spares for £100 each.

It took me years to acquire good sets of bargrip tyres. May I suggest to anyone looking for a set of tyres to buy when you can even if it's just a single tyre. That's what I did. I was never offered a complete set but over a period of time by buying single tyres, or pairs of tyres, built up a complete matching set.

I really look after what tyres I have by keeping them correctly inflated, rotated around the vehicle and completely shielded from sunlight when the lorry is parked up. Long term we'll all by running on those Russian tyres or something like them.

I looked high and low for bar grips for years and in the end went onto Michelin XL - Now there on I like the look of them and you have a much better ride to the crossplys. You don't get flat spots when parked up for a length of time. £500 for eight you can't really go wrong.

A few years ago at GDSF I was told by a chap that he had a load of good quality bar grips. I chased him hard as we all know how hard they are to get hold of - finally he admitted that what he had were only good for a silage clamp. :argh:

By this time I was out of options so had to move to the ones I have now. I know its not orignal but you just can't get them:)

On a slightly different note - does anyone know how to upload video footage ??:tup::

I looked high and low for bar grips for years and in the end went onto Michelin XL -

By this time I was out of options so had to move to the ones I have now. I know its not orignal but you just can't get them:)

Like I say, we'll be on them eventually.

When owners start going on to me about how original their lorry is I always sarcastically ask them, "and is that also the original air in the tyres ?"

Edited by 6 X 6

i have sean a few with the new mitchelin MX,about £65 each so i am told. but i dont really like the look of them. dose any one els have an opinion ? would like to hear.:confused:

They do look good, they are wider and fill the mudguards well, in my opinion.

However, bar grips look 'correct' and I have been searching without success for years for a decent set as mine are quite brittle now with cracks appearing so may not last much longer. I found a set of new 14.00/12 ply at W&P for a good price, not really up to spec if I was intending to suspend tow to the max, which I'm not, it's the easy life for Forceful and I now. :cool:

They are rated at 6410 lbs @ 50 psi, which gets me

12,820 lbs front, axle, (gross laden 9,720 lbs) = 3,060 lbs spare capacity

25,640 lbs rear bogie, (gross laden 20,160 lbs) = 5,480 lbs " "

Total tyre capacity 38,460

gross laden - 29,880 lbs

8,580 lbs

= 3.830 ton spare load capacity.

There are two gross weights quoted in the book depending on the contract number. mine is 9870, not listed, so I have taken the highest figures to be on the safe side.

So OK for my usage and should give a better ride, unless I am missing something. :confused: These tyres should be quite easy to find NOS.

Edited by gritineye
sums corrected, see Mikes post later in this thread

Where from Bernard ? Thanks.

I forget where the seller came from Belgium, Holland or some such place. I got the impression he had more or could get them, they are new, still got stickers on them, had flaps as well when I paid for them, some of these were missing when I got back to pick them up!

Some one who goes to W&P must know his name, he wasn't in the traders area, I think it was Americas field 2007

I forget where the seller came from Belgium, Holland or some such place. I got the impression he had more or could get them, they are new, still got stickers on them, had flaps as well when I paid for them, some of these were missing when I got back to pick them up!

Some one who goes to W&P must know his name, he wasn't in the traders area, I think it was Americas field 2007

That's well worth knowing and another good reason for going to W & P. Cheers.

They do look good, they are wider and fill the mudguards well, in my opinion.

Do they fit on the back without hitting the gear cases or are small spacers necessary? There is at least one running about with them just on the front which is asking for trouble if used on the road.

That's well worth knowing and another good reason for going to W & P. Cheers.

The tyres were made in the US by Denman, still in business, but only list 900.16s tubless on thier site. I think a label said 1996, but can't check that without pulling them out. There must be more about somewhere.

I Think mean machine has them on the front? As they are slightly smaller in diameter than the 1400 r20 bar grips . He said it's fine as the front axle is freewheeling on the road and they don't wind up in the mud cos the can slip.

Smaller tyres means ever so slighty lower gearing (nit picking now:cool2:) But being as explorers are blessed with a such huge turn of speed it shoulden't make a diference:)

(Mean Machine...Mick Walters?)

I Think mean machine has them on the front? As they are slightly smaller in diameter than the 1400 r20 bar grips . He said it's fine as the front axle is freewheeling on the road and they don't wind up in the mud cos the can slip.

Smaller tyres means ever so slighty lower gearing (nit picking now:cool2:) But being as explorers are blessed with a such huge turn of speed it shoulden't make a diference:)

Er, are they not radials?