Cry Havoc and Unleash the Mogs of War

Bodge Deep

Probably isn't genuine, I can see no signs of D-Day markings.

I suspect it served in same unit as a GPO Telephone moggy that is now in bomb disposal livery.

But of course if you want to get really ridiculous, here's someones idea of a riot control moggy for N.Ireland.

width=640 height=670http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/Morris1.jpg[/img]

Goodness know who dreamed that one up?

Many years back, at the Waldershare Vintage rally near Dover, the military section were all standing around chatting, when suddenly a Morris Minor convertable came rushing through our area. It was in olive drab, covered in netting, machine gun, and other bits, driver shouted some remark, then dissapeared. It seems it was someone poking fun, but I never did see it again :dunno:

Richard

Sorry :oops:......... its the silly season we are allowed to say stupid things :-D

I was only teasing, but not sure if I have now been caught in a counter-tease :roll:

I can reveal that this drawing is from EMER WHEELED VEHICLES P 317 Mod Instruction No. 1. Internal security screening, May 1969

width=640 height=209http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/Morris3.jpg[/img]

You sure it wasn't issued on April 1st !

It is interesting to see how planners thought things would pan out. It wasn't until August that troops moved in, thankfully not with Morris Minors as that might have given rise to ridicule.

The IRA Border Campaign ran from 1956-62 when the RUC received, Pigs, Haltracks, Dingos & lots of Bedfords. These were then gradually thinned down as the state of alert died down. The Civil Rights Association formed in 1967 with many marches taking place in 1968. So that obviously got planners thinking as an EMER was issued in October 1968 to fit electrification systems to certain Saracens, Saladins & Ferrets. (Pigs were 'obsolete' by then)

Perhaps more optimistic planners dreamt up the IS Moggy in May 1969? I suppose you had to have a range of equipment available & plan for it. Like REME must have been busy converting the old metal riot shields into longer ones. You can see as troops marched in across the Foyle, that the riot shields had extension pieces riveted on. I wonder what other equipment was there ready & waiting?

The Morris shooting brake was used in admin and MP roles, don't know about pickup etc.

I have never found reference to any other version of the Minor, other than the Traveller, in Army service. The aforementioned Van in Bomb Disposal colours has to be a fantasy, probably previously driven by Postman Pat, or his cousin, Telephone Tim :-D

Abn these vehicles virtually took over from the wartime Tilly's and were made up to the 1970's in both car, estate, cabriolet, van and pickup. All had one shared joy of ownership. When was the front wheel going to fall off? The Morris 1000 now commands stupid prices especiallly the early split windscreen jobs. There was also a specially baged Morris 1000000 series. They were used by Civillian Police forces. The common practice was for forces to buy an equal number of white and blue vehicles, normally 2 door, then swop doors. There was also a 4 door version. Designed by Alex Izigonni.

Abn these vehicles virtually took over from the wartime Tilly's and were made up to the 1970's in both car, estate, cabriolet, van and pickup. All had one shared joy of ownership. When was the front wheel going to fall off? The Morris 1000 now commands stupid prices especiallly the early split windscreen jobs. There was also a specially baged Morris 1000000 series. They were used by Civillian Police forces. The common practice was for forces to buy an equal number of white and blue vehicles, normally 2 door, then swop doors. There was also a 4 door version. Designed by Alex Izigonni.

A-ha! We've finally found the next vehicle for Jack to add to his fleet!! It should feel right at home alongside the Jimmy... :evil: :evil: :evil:

The wishbone pins had a habit of failing dropping the entire front hub onto the road. I once followed a Police car, following an obvious young driver in a Moggy along a narrow road for some miles. The Moggy driver was obviously being very careful with Mr Plod behind, then did the mirror signal manoeuvre bit to turn right, at which point Moggy did its trick. the Police car and I stopped. We were all laughing so hard it was 2 or 3 minutes before we could help the kid. :-D

Did they ever improve the suspension to prevent that happening or ??

Like a lot of different vehicles, they have a particular problem, often occuring due to neglect and lack of regular service and inspection. My father owned three Minors from mid 1950's through to 1965 without this happening. The first was a Minor MM with the side valve engine, then a split screen model and finally a Minor 1000 which he had new and covered a vast mileage as it was used for work. In fact I do not recollect any mechanical failure of significance.

Richard