New Clubmobile

mick.wilson

Well our future Clubmobile has finally arrived, The poor old truck made it from Newcastle docks to just out side Peterborough (200 miles) under its own power but then I got a phone call off the driver (at 3:00am) that he had run out of petrol and could not get it started again, he had called out the AA but the AA guy said "the fuel pump had packed up and the truck was to big for recovery". So I hired a car to get me and a new fuel pump the 120 miles from Farnborough up to Peterborough (I left at 4:30 on the Friday afternoon, it took tell 8:30 to get there with all the traffic on the M25), finally I got the bonnet up to find out it was not the fuel pump but the camshaft was not turning and the problem with the engine was allot bigger than I could fix at the side of the A1, so it was back in the car for the drive home (arrived back at Farnborough 11.00pm). At 1:30am in the morning we set off AGAIN with the 6x6 Dodge and solid tow bar, the drive took 4 hours in freezing conditions but by 5:30 in the morning we had hooked up the GMC to the Dodge and was ready to try and tow her home, the Dodge was slow at first but with a 15 minuet build up we where steaming along at 25 mph. We finally got home at 10:30am in the morning with no problems on the way. It took 44 hours to get the truck 320 miles home..!.

Here are some photos before we start any work to give you an idea of what has to be done.

34.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

30.jpg

and this is what it will (hopefully) look like in the end

35.jpg

but wasn't she worth all the hassle.... :lol:

MV's kind of get under your skin & 1 is never enough.

I know cara bought the dodge during beltring week & that was only in July. bet you didn't think you would be up grading so soon.

I'll look forward to the restoration photo's

ta

Berni

Well done Mick, that was one hell of an adventure and will make you love it more in a strange sort of way :shock:

........It would be rude to ask how much petrol the WC drank on the round trip, it would be rude, wouldn't it :wink:

........It would be rude to ask how much petrol the WC drank on the round trip, it would be rude, wouldn't it :wink:

The Dodge drank just under £100 in fuel on the round trip (not to bad really, considering we where quoted £350 for recovery :shock: )

This website "http://www.arcclubmobile.co.uk" should be a good place for that!

We are hoping that Cara is going to put up a "work in progress" page on her ARC web site, to keep a photo up date of the truck.

We have got a spare engine (got to give it the OK first and a good clean), I will have to make sure the spare engine has had the bakerlite timing cog changed first.

Mick

Hello Mick, nice truck, are you going to cut the body to the exact style of the shop mobile?

Hi shopnut,

Yes we plan to copy the Clubmobile body to as close as it is possible, I intend to use the original body as scaffolding to build the new body on top of but I am unsure if I should remove the workshop outer skin first, also I have to lengthen the chasse about two and half foot but I best start with the engine.

Mick

was it just a empty van body.

The inside looks like this

s5300029_139.jpg

Hi Mick, I also have a ex Norway shop van, closed cab, if you were going to cut the body around to make the Clubmobile, any parts that become surplus, could we have a deal, I was hoping it might have the original heater system inside, but as mine long gone. Did you see the French Clubmobile at Beltring, looked pretty good. Thanks

Made a bit of a start today but lost the light as the engine and gearbox was about to come out, try again tomorrow. No problem shopnut if we pull any good bits of I will let you know, no heater there. The French Clubmobile at Beltring was also a workshop conversion, looks good though.

Mick.

p1010016_312.jpg

p1010017_735.jpg