Mishap in Normandy

Ron

After 3 days of 70 plus mile rides. I was out on my own at 6.30 am on the 4th day to recci out a route. At very low speed up a narrow lane as I was shielding my eyes from the blinding low sun. There was a loud click and the bike started to wobble valiantly.  From where I sat I couldn't see the problem, and managed to do a 10 point turn to face the other way. I was 5 miles from camp, so the mission was to get as near as possible before phoning for help. I found that at 20mph the wobble was acceptable, and made it back to camp under my own "slow" speed. 

Here is the problem, which I was aware did sometimes happen to Royal Enfield front down tubes. Ron

DSCF6248.JPG

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

When you say it sometimes happens, is it at a predictable position on the tube or can it happen anywhere?

Not a nice thing to happen so far from home, I hope you don't have too much trouble repatriating it.

Yes, Ron, you sent me the picture! incredible that you weren't going faster and came off!  Enfields are known for this to happen, on the front downtube, but also on other places but rarely.

You would think, that the frame was under stress?  

The thing that held the frame together was probably the petrol tank! 

Glad you're OK, I still have big problems with my knee, after the bad landing with the Cushman!

Cheers, Lex

Edited by welbike
spelling

Glad to hear that you're OK Ron! A bike's frame is easier to repair than your own framework!

My WD/C is another example of this weak spot. This is how I bought it...

DSCN8306amended.thumb.png.e46fd9df8567c99fa0b3669757315748.pngDSCN8306.thumb.JPG.61458d20f3b64d6ec04cdebb7e0cca26.JPGDSCN8307.thumb.JPG.7ee107db7f3fe4ae61a8c55fd7ff1c8f.JPGDSCN8574.thumb.JPG.e6ebab018a38ea049cfa68d76a07b993.JPG

Wow, that must have been pretty scary. Glad you are ok. Also my frame has a repair at the known weakspot. Jan pointed it out I believe when I introduced myself at this forum and posted pictures of my '42 350 WD/C. Unlucky that you had to experience this problem while driving, on the other hand it must have been a pretty rare situation that your frame still hadn't broken until now after all those years. Or not? But, again, glad you are ok. Good luck with repairing the spot and the work it will cost again. By the way: I have installed the center stand now, very very happy with it. All the best for you Ron.

Regards, Paul.

Regarding the repair. A simple internal spigot seemed the simple solution. BUT! The first problem is, the front tube is tapered from 1 1/2" to 1 1/4". I acquired a suitable piece of thick wall tube from my tube guy friends and made four slits in it up to the top 1". I squeezed it in my vice and sanded it to make a bit of a cone shape. I also drilled four 10mm holes around the outer tube so as to puddle weld to the cone.

Next problem was that the remaining upper part of the broken tube is thicker (double skinned) so the ID is smaller. I was searching through my sockets to try and find a size gauge and came across a long series impact socket that fits the bill perfectly. (I'm quite happy to sacrifice it) I had to cut about 1/4" off the end of it. Likewise I drilled four hole to puddle weld to it.  I've sanded a total of about 1/4" away from both top and bottom tubes to create a nice groove to weld. 

I decided that TIG is probably the best and I'm waiting for a guy to turn up with the correct equipment. Ron

DSCF6251.JPG

DSCF6256.JPG

DSCF6257.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 11:19 AM, Enigma said:

Damn, that could have been a big accident. Good you are alright.

See you at A&E?

Regarding A&E! Jack asked me if I could rustle up some riders for convoy duties for the very first A&E. I think there were at least a dozen of us. I'm also one of the organisers for the Veterans Parade at Weymouth. Unfortunately for me, due to government funding, the date for veterans week was moved  and  clashes with A&E, so I've never been able to participate since the first one....Hey Ho!  Ron

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Ron said:

Regarding A&E! Jack asked me if I could rustle up some riders for convoy duties for the very first A&E. I think there were at least a dozen of us. I'm also one of the organisers for the Veterans Parade at Weymouth. Unfortunately for me, due to government funding, the date for veterans week was moved  and  clashes with A&E, so I've never been able to participate since the first one....Hey Ho!  Ron

A pity you can't attend A&E. Too many events in too short a time...

Yes Rick. I think Jan will confirm. There were at least three upgrades to this frame problem by Royal Enfiend. This is faze two. The last faze was an extra support tube from the headstock back under the tank. 

I guess the frames were made from Reynolds tube. It's real tough stuff to drill. Ron

Indeed Ron. The WD/C had a cylindrical downtube. Due to the fact that lots of frames had broken just below the headstock, Enfield used a conical downtube for the (early) WD/CO (with a larger diameter at the weakest point). But the conical downtube didn't solve the problem, so they added an extra tube just below the headstock for the later WD/CO bikes.

The finished result. I shiver to think of the result of such a failure at 45-50mph. I'll need to build up some confidence with this (My favourite) bike and will be constantly checking for any cracks for a while😱 

I'm going to Beulieu tomorrow to get a new tyre for the front. Then a test ride on Tuesday (weather permitting)  Ron

DSCF6266.JPG

• Like 4