Tilly wont start

Ron

All of a sudden my Austin Tilly wont start. I stripped the simple carb and blew everything out, fuel pump is pumping up to the carb no problem. Seems like a very weak spark at the plugs, so I  replaced the 2 x 6v batteries (12V system)  for two brand new ones from Shield. Also replaced the dizzy cap- leads- suppressors- points- condenser- rotor-plugs and retimed the ignition. . Still spinning over but won’t start.  I tried another coil but I’ve ordered another new one to be sure. Still seems like a very week spark to me. Despite the starter spinning as if nothing is wrong. I’m wondering if indeed it is drawing too much current from the batteries. The batteries seem to drop down to 7V when cranking the starter. I'm wondering if indeed the starter is drawing too much current, despite spinning over as it always has....Any thoughts or suggestions please.  Ron

You could supply the 12V coil from a separate battery or any other 12V supply to isolate it from the starter to see if the starter is indeed drawing too much current. Does the starter sound very labored when spinning?

It could also be a weak connection or intermediate grounding issue from the high voltage line from the coil to the distributor. If the wire is old and the insolation cracked, it could be grounding out.

Posted (edited)

Yep it is old and an easy fix that I should have done before now. Something for tomoorow while I'm waiting for the new coil to arrive. Cheers Ron

PS if you mean the HT lead. They are all brand new today. The CB lead is still the old one.

Edited by Ron

I think he means the wire between points and coil. Also check the connectors for corrosion. Other thing i once had, dry rotor bushes in the starter motor so it pulls more power. After oling the car started well again. Good luck.

Thanks for the comments chaps. Wally I replaced everthing  brand new......Except that low tension lead to the points, but it's shows live with a test lamp. Ron

A non-conductive centre carbon in the distributor cap is always on my check list as I was scratching my head over a non-starting Rover V8 many years ago, it took me hours to find it and minutes to make a temporary fix to get me going.

3 hours ago, Ron said:

Except that low tension lead to the points, but it's shows live with a test lamp. Ron

Does it extinguish when the points close? That would help establish whether you have an LT problem or an HT problem.

If it doesn't extinguish then your points aren't closing or this wire under the base plate has failed.

Clive yes the test lamp is off and on as the points open and close.

Richard I start the Tilly regularly, usually to get one of the bikes out. I don't keep much fuel in the tank whilst the Tilly is not being used, so as not to end up with stale stuff. But I put a fresh gallon in when this starting issue suddenly appeared.

A friend is going to lend me his spare 12V battery to hot wire the coil as per Grego's suggestion.  Ron

Ha Ha! Wally. It's one of the first things I tried. Repeated it a few times since. I've convinced myself that I'm losing current from the batteries whilst cranking. I'm wondering if I have a fault with the starter motor although it's spinning as it's always done....Or is there a problem with my brand new Shield batteries??   Ron

Yes over the weekend a mate came round and we went through everything again. of all simple things, it was the coil. Even though I temporarily fitted a spare one that I had......Which also must be duff. I bought another new one which arrived Saturday and cured the problem. 

Both the previous coils were delivering a spark, but obviously not strong enough. I've restarted the Tilly several times over the weekend and all seems fine now.  Ron🤞

• Like 3

I appreciate all the suggestions and advice from you guys. In the 35 years I've owned it, I've never had such a long winded problem. Especially since I worked as a motor mechanic in the 60's & 70's when plugs and points and simple carbs were an every day occurrence.  Ron🙏

Tilly 09 002.jpg

• Like 2