P 51 and others at Coningsby yesterday

john1950

• john1950 changed the title to P 51 and others at Coningsby yesterday

That was as close as I could get. There seemed to be a lot of people possibly TV or press around them. It seemed strange to see the adversary's parked together. P 51 a battle winner I read Bill Goodson's book Tumult in the sky I think that was it's title, many years ago. I bet your father in law could tell some tales of daring do.

I saw them flying together, but have to confess I was there to see the spit's and P 51 and the old lady, along with the hurrybus. As far as I know there were no ME 262 combats over the U.K. during WW2. I would imagine it would be the usual suspects Eric (winkle) Brown, Alex Henshaw, Jeffrey Quill or Mutt Summers, at the controls after they had been shipped over after the cessation of hostility's. 

SAM_1985.JPG

SAM_1986.JPG

Edited by john1950

I suppose thinking about the ME262, it was designed in the face of adversity. There facilities were being destroyed on a daily basis and there engineers managed to design a world beating aircraft. It may have been unreliable, underfunded, and did not have access to the necessary exotic materials also using slave labour to produce examples, but the fact remains it was produced and shot down the best aircraft the allies had. I have admiration for their ingenuity but distain for what they were fighting for.