Shot Blasting etc

Mark

Hi All

Where do you get your parts shot blasted, is there a local firm near to you or do you have to take it somewhere? How much are you charged for the following;

Jeep tub

Wings

Chassis

Wheels

Doors if any

Panels

etc

Can anybody help here please.

Many thanks

I do it myself.

Bought a decent petrol powered compressor to do both paint spraying and run a blast cabinet - great for small parts but realistically compressor does struggle to run the separate outdoor blasting system I also bought but that does mean I can do chassis etc myself.

As its my intention to own a number of vehicles over time I thought the investment worthwhile - total about £600 including the compressor which of course has multi uses and being pretrol can use anywhere.

Running costs are not that great for expendable grit and of course the cabinet uses recyclate.

John

I was looking at this same as you Mark. I need to get a chassis and loads of other bit and pieces blasted. Cabinets are all very well for doing small parts, but I was trying to work out how I could do the chassis myself. Bearing in mind that a load of parts I need to get blasted are going to cost at least £300. How do people do a chassis themselves? What sort of equipment do you use and where do you do it?

How do people do a chassis themselves? What sort of equipment do you use and where do you do it?

I did a 101 Chassis with this in my carport and painted and cleaned up as I went along - its not a one day job on a piece that size.

I am not for a moment suggesting this is the best value for money way of doing it. It would certainly be quicker to get a professional company to do it, but I was very satisifed with the fact that I had personally done it to my own (exacting :-D) standards.

Yes it would have been a lot quicker if i still had access to the museum blasting room and their proper kit which is where I learned the safety stuff about doing this work but owning my own equipment means I did the job and I can do it again on my next vehicle when I get one

http://www.mactools.com/Mac/Mac+Products/Catalog/Automotive+Specialty/Paint+%26+Body/Spray+Guns/Accessories/SB90

PS - with that sort of kit the key to it is the quality of your compressor (cfm output)

Ive just had the latest Frosts catalogue bought in by Postman Pat and there is a free standing pressure blaster in there. Item number c100. I rang them up to find out about it. It looks like a tall red cylinder and uses it uses expendable grit. This means you can shot blast your own bits outside. The blaster is £205 and the grit is about £10 per 25kilos. Apparently one bag will do a small chassis- I must say I find that a bit optimistic!

We used a couple of different blasters to do a l/r 110 chassis and found they were ok for small areas and tricky corners but tedious and slow for doing the main rails. Now prefer the wire pig tail brushes on a grinder for big areas and the blaster for the nooks where the brush wont fit.

Mark,

See if you can find someone local who can do the blasting for you. I use a local farmer who's always reasonable. There's bound to be someone out your way who can do these bits for you without costing too much.

Chris

I have a small grit blaster from ACE (I think), but seems to get clogged up quite easily, damp perhaps, but the grit I get might be a bit big, so I was looking to replace it with something more meaty, as it takes a while to do anything large. I have a decent compressor, so would be interested in finding out what the next step up is. I know a blaster and powder coater but the issue is getting things to him, as well as cost.

Hi All

Where do you get your parts shot blasted, is there a local firm near to you or do you have to take it somewhere? How much are you charged for the following;

Jeep tub £60

Wings £20/pr

Chassis £50

Wheels £40 for 5

Doors if any

Panels

etc

Can anybody help here please.

Many thanks

That's what I'd expect to pay my friendly local guy (I'd have to take it all to his yard and be patient). That's a lot of work doing it yoursef. He'll probably prime the lot for an extra £50, tends to fit it in with other jobs.

Cold calling on a new blasting company, I might expect to be quoted 3 times the price! They seem to look after customers they know and fleece others!

A few years back one professional outfit I tried for Militant wheels wanted £25 per wheel :shake: the guy I use now did them, primed, for £10 :-) mind you he did moan about the multi layered paint, said the shot kept bouncing off!

Would really pay to find someone local and get an intro from a good customer if possible, avoids being taken for a ride :dunno:

I would expect to pay from a bloke Ive used about £300 odd for the bits Ive got waiting, a chassis, some wings, hood, axles, couple of rad grilles, plus Id have to get someone to transport pieces over to his farm. So Ive taken the bold step of ordering a shot blaster this afternoon. I can get a Snap On one on a wheeled cart for about £140. All i got to do then is order the bags of grit at £8 a bag. Jobs a good'un or so they say! I will let you know what its like.

David,

You can try using kiln dried sand.

I think it is now illegal to use sand as a blasting medium due to health implications.

I bought a cheap blasting pot and road compressor from ebay and refurbished them with new hoses etc. Compared to the speed and efficiency of the Micky Mouse blasters I've used in the past, the proper kit is light years ahead.

I would expect to pay around what NOS has suggested. I usually get my bits primed too, it makes life easier as I don't have to rush to get some paint on them as soon as I collect them. The guy I use is very good, and pretty cheap, it obviously helps that he's restoring an AEC Matator and reads CMV too :D

Chris

So Ive taken the bold step of ordering a shot blaster this afternoon.

I keep looking at this time and time again. Even if it does take a lot longer than a pro, you have control of the job, and you can do it when it suits you, bit at a time even.

If I did not have access to a really good value service I think I'd be ordering one too. But you do need the space to make a g!d almighty mess :shake:

I had my 101 chassis sand blasted and cost me £200, for chassis axles and springs.

I bought a similar small pot blaster to OOEC25 for £50 pounds off ebay.

The blast pot itself is quite good it's just my compressor struggled to keep up on large surfaces. My compressor is 3Hp and 14CFM about the largest you can run on a home single phase supply.

Faced with the choice of hiring a larger compressor, risking burning mine out or getting someone else to do the job I chose the latter.

You really need a large vane type compressor as used on the roads for these type of blasting jobs.

The blast pot will still come usefull for smaller parts exhaust manifolds and brackets. Also helped to get the bits that were missed on the rear axle.

Another thing to consider if having a lot of parts blasted at once is how quickly can you paint them? Rust can reform in a little as twenty minutes depending on atmospheric conditions.

Also most primers are not impervious to moisture so a surface is not fully protected until top coated.

That's what I'd expect to pay my friendly local guy (I'd have to take it all to his yard and be patient). That's a lot of work doing it yoursef. He'll probably prime the lot for an extra £50, tends to fit it in with other jobs.

Cold calling on a new blasting company, I might expect to be quoted 3 times the price! They seem to look after customers they know and fleece others!

A few years back one professional outfit I tried for Militant wheels wanted £25 per wheel :shake: the guy I use now did them, primed, for £10 :-) mind you he did moan about the multi layered paint, said the shot kept bouncing off!

Would really pay to find someone local and get an intro from a good customer if possible, avoids being taken for a ride :dunno:

You obviously have access to a number of cheap suppliers! Up here everything is geared around the offshore oil and gas industry so prices are sky high, as well as being in short supply. I have some minor fabrication ordered which has been sitting around for a few months whilst they deal with their big ticket items.

Yes, and don't think for a moment that we don't appreciate how lucky we are!!!

Problem is, especially with larger operations like in your area, the cost of complying with H & S and (more crucially now) environmental regulations is jacking costs of services like this up through the roof :-(

You can try using kiln dried sand.

I think it is now illegal to use sand as a blasting medium due to health implications.

Cheap - certainly

Advisable - absolutely not (studies show as little as 2 hours at a time of regular exposure can affect onset of silicosis)

Legal to use - Err as stated by David it is illegal in dry blasting systems, hence the use of grit media and the term Grit blasting rather than sand blasting nowadays

Despite strict health and safety controls in most developed countries, silica sand is still a widely used blasting media. In the UK the use of sand or other substances containing free silica is specifically prohibited for “use as an abrasive for blasting articles in any blasting apparatus” by the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH) (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations SI 2002 No. 2677).

Sorry to be so PC :police: but its a recent research project here at this university where I work so very much a hot topic at the moment

Replace where I wrote sand with Aluminium Oxide then?

That's the best solution

To be :offtopic: for moment if anyone is interested there are plenty of scary reasons why copper slag and the mineral based alternatives (except aluminium) are also now becoming a bit suspect from a scientific basis as well

Ok I'll :died: now