BSA WB30

Ron

Yes I've asked him the price. But I'm still smarting  over the gearbox sprocket that he sold me for my WB30 that didn't work. Nothing serious in the end as my mate John machined my original boss to take the teeth from the duff sprocket. Darren at Armours welded it for me. All done for free. Ron

DSCF5672 (2).JPG

My mate Steve came round yesterday to help me fit the head. It's a right work up, fitting it with the engine in the frame.  We were starting to think that the engine must come out? But I thought surely a WD bike must be possible to de-coke with the engine in place! Fortunately the riders handbook explains how to remove the head ........Which made total sence when we thought about it.  The gland nut at the top of the pushrod tube can test your patients!

I'm currently getting my head around the tappet adjustment sequence. But first I'm going to grind the outside of the jaws of a couple of old spanners to make them more usuable in the tappet chest. Ron

DSCF5673.JPG

• Like 1

My new sprocket is fitted and the gearbox is in the frame. So I've been doing a dummy run with the clutch and chains. I bought extra length chains with half links so that I could adjust the links according to my gearing.

One thing I've just learnt though. Is that my very expensive WD tool box from Cairo can't be used as the kickstart seriously fouls it. I was talked into the fact that the WB30 was fitted with the wider WM20 toolbox. But the parts list clearly shows a different number. Fortunately I have the slimmer civilian type which will have to be stripped, prepared and sprayed.

Two steps forward and one step back.  Ron 

DSCF5684.JPG

DSCF5685.JPG

DSCF5686.JPG

Ron, will you be fitting the low-level silencer ? I've seen it suggested more than once that WD Nortons had kickstart levers with more offset due to the wider WD toolbox, but in fact the silencer extends well beyond, as it would have done with the civilian models.

You don't have a kickstart from a high pipe version, do you ?

Hi Rik. I'm not aware of a different kick start. They are quite unique becuase of the ear on the back for the rubber stop. 

In fact I've just checked the parts lists and it's exactly the same kickstart as fitted to the B29 which had the slim toolbox. 

So I'll be working on my civy toolbox now.  Ron

IMG_1337.jpg

H ron 

I am with Rik on this one Ref the kickstart 

photos of the contract you are building to show the wider tool box / using a slightly adapted kick start to clear the toolbox would allow its use 

agreed the earlier bikes with smaller brakes & those seen in tests / have  the narrower box 

the huge number of part numbers created by bsa especially pre war / wartime is something I now take with a pinch of salt - many replicated with tiny changes implemented- the tool box would be a big change 

jo’b

I am not convinced John! The parts list for our contract, definitely has an earlier number for the toolbox than the M20 list. Also as I stated, the kickstart has the same part number as the B29. Anyway I'm going with the thin toolbox as per the parts list rather than try and find an unobtainable kickstart with an extra crank in it. 

I'll keep you posted about the silencer.   Ron

Ron, as John implies. A bit of a parts-bin special.

Going back to the photos which Jan posted earlier in the thread, C4379578 seems to have a narrow box which extends roughly to the centre line on the silencer.  FOM 785 which Jan suggests might be the RN contract factory hack seems clearly to have a wider toolbox which sits roughly in line with the outside edge of the silencer.

My worry is that regardless of the toolbox, the straight ("narrow") kickstart is going to conflict with the silencer.

If you clear the silencer on a low level system, then you clear the toolbox.

BSA WB30 a.jpeg

BSA WB30 b.jpg

Yes Rik. John convinced me ages ago the the RN bikes were fitted with a WM20 toolbox. But it just dosen't work with my kickstart. You say that if it clears the toolbox, then it will automatically clear the silencer! But the earlier bikes and the B29 also had the same size silencer with the standard kickstart. (listed in the 1940 civy list and my RN list)

Anyway I've just dummied my front pipe on and done some scaling calculations re the silencer. ie:-

The main body exluding front and tail spouts is 17" long and 3" diameter. Which happily is exactly the same size as both my WD C10 silencers (Probably the same for a rigid B31)  It looks like the kickstart will clear this OK.

I need to get over to Armours and ask Darren to prepare me a SS silencer with the correct 1 5/8" ID spouts (Minus bracket, to be welded on later once I've marked it)

I'm gutted that after all the expence and effort, I can't use the M20 box. Maybe they did make a modified kickstart for just the 100 RN bikes. But I doubt we'll ever find one. I certainly wouldn't want to attempt heating and cranking over the top few inches of my original. 

Cheers Ron (still walking two steps forward and one backwards)

DSCF5687.JPG

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

I've now fitted the much thinner civy type tool box.

Regarding the exhaust. Darren welded on the bracket to my mark and also the front silencer clamp. I've just drilled and shortened the bracket and it went on without any hassle, and my kickstart clears the silencer by 1/2"(the SS exhaust just needs to be lightly grit blasted now)

This got me thinking about the WD toolbox again. Since the WM20 toolbox is clearly much wider than the silencer.....and also that the part number for the WB30 toolbox  neither matches the WM20 or the civy box. I wonder if they made a slimmer version of the WM20 box? Maybe 1/2" narrower? It's something for me to think of doing if I want to refit my WM20 box as it definitely can't be used as it is.  Ron

DSCF5705.JPG

DSCF5707.JPG

Edited by Ron

I've acquired 6 clutches for this project to pick the best of everything. However there are variations and it's taken me a while to deduce the correct parts. The mainshaft nut is  much slimmer than on all the other bikes and turns out to have the same part number as a 50's C12 The shaft thread is 5/8" x 20tpi.

No problem! (I thought) As Drags sell these. But the first one came and no way would screw onto the shaft. So I sent it back and they sent me another one....Same thing! So I had to take it to an engineer who has a 5/8" x 20 tap. Quite a lot of metal came out as he cleaned it up, so God knows what size their engineer was working to?  Also their special Durilium bearing ring for the clutch center wouldn't fit, so that wend back for a refund.  I used the original BSA rings with new quality 3/16" balls. Ron

DSCF5701.JPG

DSCF5703.JPG

DSCF5708.JPG

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've fitted new Surflex plates but left the old corks in the chainwheel as they look in excellent condition. I can but try. Fitting a 3 spring Triumph clutch is the best option, but would require some special machining as the clutch sleeve is unique so would  have to be made bespoke for a Triumph clutch. 

Ian explained what to do and it sounds very complicated....and expensive. ....It's something to think about for the future if the 6 spring clutch is no good!  Ron

• Like 2

I've calculated that the brake pedal is 1 1/2" longer than a standard WM20 pedal. It seems odd to me that they made shorter foot rests by 1 1/2" and then had to produce a longer brake pedal by the same amount. I wonder how much weight that saved?  Ron

DSCF5713.JPG

DSCF5714.JPG

image2.jpeg

Edited by Ron

That's exactly the same situation as the WD16H. In order to give a less rear-set and more upright trials type riding position with footrests mounted in the only place they can be, between the gearbox and the engine, it's necessary to have a longer lever, assuming it's pivoted on the frame behind the chaincase. I don't think it's a weight thing.

There has been a few types seen lex - you are not the first to say g3wo chainguard 

but when it was a bike for so long in continual development nothing surprises 

I think a matchless rear guard was used too - but that’s another story for another day 😃

jo’b 

Lex that grainy picture is one of the only pictures we have of that side of the bike and that is one of the GPO bikes.  The parts list for the RN bikes quotes the chaingaurd as number 65-7710. The 1940 civy parts list shows 65-7700 which was fitted to the model B29......Which is the chainguard I have. ......Who knows what it really looked like? Ron

Scan_20230808.jpg

DSCF5472 (2).JPG

Ah yes John. I have that picture. Another G3 type chaingaurd. 

But based on the part number being so close to a B29 chainguard, it must be similar......  On the other hand it could just be the same chainguard with the lower panel added. (I can almost see the join?)  It's definitely not a G3 chainguard as it hasn't got the Matchless swoopy curve at the rear.

As you say, they were developing and changing things all the time.

Ron

image2 (2).jpeg

Edited by Ron