BSA WB30

Ron

This is how the gearbox came with this project! Plus a spare pre-war hand change box. With some advice from Brett in New Zealand I've salvaged quite a nice gear cluster (a few parts came from the other box) all cleaned up and I've removed the main bearing and ordered a sealed version. 

I am missing some parts for the gear change mechanism though.   Ron 

DSCF5244 (3).JPG

DSCF5243 (2).JPG

DSCF5539 (2).JPG

Edited by Ron
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It's been several weeks of 3 steps forward and 2 steps back!!

I had lots of issues with the gearbox which are hopefully becoming resolved. With help from my friends in New Zealand and Australia. Brett-John - Darren.

Some of the paintwork was crazing up and I have no idea why? So I had to repaint those parts by using etch primer to block whatever was going on, after rubbing it all down again first.😖

The new brake linings wouldn't fit in the drums, so they went back to "Villiers" who sent them back 3 weeks later exactly the same. On their advice I had to make them fit by sanding a few thou off with strip emery.

The rear brake arm is with a mate who is going to make the bush for the brake rod for me, and I bought some 5/16" rod and made the brake rod. (5" of 26tpi hand died down)

Ron

DSCF5601 (2).JPG

DSCF5602.JPG

DSCF5603.JPG

DSCF5604 (2).JPG

DSCF5605.JPG

Help from some good guys. The kickstart stop made for me in Stainless steel by Darren from JOB's original, and the WM20 footrests cut, welded and shaped by Dave. Copied from Rob's original.  Many thanks. Ron

WB30 kickstart stop.jpg

346984688_799213051310232_5959151807508052692_n.jpg

• Like 1

I've collected the engine parts from Ainsley. New big end/small end (balanced and trued crank). Rebored barrel to take my modified Triumph piston and new valve guides. I can start on the engine rebuild now.

Today I made the headlamp brackets and temporarily popped the gearbox in the frame.  Ron

DSCF5616.JPG

DSCF5613.JPG

DSCF5614.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the progress so far. 

I built the head up,(Converted from hairpin springs) but I've since stripped it again as I wasn't happy with the spring pressure.  It's back with Ainsley to mill .075" from under the spring seats, which will bring it in line with the normal coil spring set up.

I've built the bottom end of the engine up. I'm waiting for an oil pump, sump plate and a few other parts to get it completed before it goes in the frame. 

Where possible I like to build the top end in the frame, rather than try and lift a complete engine.

Ron

DSCF5621 (2).JPG

DSCF5623.JPG

DSCF5624.JPG

Today I completed the wiring harness. Using our favourite rubber covered cable. (Now unobtainable😕) I just have to connect to the horn, dynamo and brake light switch. I have a nice switch which I'm hoping to hide under the left side pannier. 

I've fitted an original MT110 tail lamp which only holds a single filament bulb. As I like a brake light! My trick with these is to fit a 36W single filament bulb and put a 1 ohm resistor in the cable to the tail lamp.. This reduces the current to the bulb by about two thirds.(equivalent to around 12W).  Then connect the brake light cable to the output side of the resister, which then illuminates the whole 36W. 

Otherwise I'm waiting for more engine parts and a gearbox sprocket.  Ron 

DSCF5632 (2).JPG

DSCF5634 (2).JPG

Edited by Ron
  • Like 2

Hi Ron 

I’m doing this with the m20 on the bench & intend to do with the WB30 when it gets it’s turn 

where have you hidden the resistor ? 
have you  soldered it in line to the rear light wire or gone another route ?

br

job

Quite right Lex. But concidering that the whole number plate/MT110 is not original equipment I just went with satin black. But on reflection, I think I'll paint it brown.

John, it seems obvious to solder and mount the resistor in the headlamp. But that means either running the brake light cable all the way to the headlamp or making another joint somwhere near the rear wheel. 

I use these 25W -1ohm resistors bought for a few quid each and solder them into the cable  around the saddle area. In this case I've mounted it with rubber ties inside the frame tube above where the oil tank goes. In fact I'm going to cut those screw hole feet off and re tape it.

Definitely not original but nore is a brake light switch. Ron

DSCF5636.JPG

DSCF5637.JPG

Edited by Ron

• 1 month later...

Since my opp, I'm very slowly nibbling away at it. I got the magdyno on yesterday and shimmed up the drive end by 25thou to allow a tiny bit of lash in the teeth. (I hate a wining mag pinion)

The top edge of my piston is 100 thou down from the top of the bore ( Because of  the compression plate and extra gasket...I'm using a specially prepared Triumph 750cc piston which brings it to 400cc ) So I set my Vernier at .6" .

So far I've set the timing three times, but still very slightly retarded. I've had enough for today, will have a fresh start again tomorrow.  Ron

DSCF5663.jpg

• Like 1

Having pondered why the WB30 ignition timing is quoted as 1/2" BTDC on full advance, when the B29 (same engine) and the subsequent post war models B31 are all listed as 7/16" BTDC. I talked it over with a friend and we came to the conclusion that maybe it had something to do with the low grade pool petrol??

Anyway since I have a modified piston, I decided to readjust it to 7/16". I hope I've made the right decision as it's so much easier with the head off.   Ron

Hi John. I think Lex will confirm, the rubber wire is now very difficult (even impossible) to obtain.  

The part numbers for the WB30 valves/guides/springs/colletts and caps are exactly the same as B31. But since I needed everything, I ended up using 7 different suppliers. The inlet and exhaust valves and therefore the guides and collets are different diameters........What a palava!!  You'd think that B31 parts would be readily available!!

I also had to get the floor of the rocker box machined down to accept the bottom spring caps at the right hight for correct spring tension. 

Regards Ron

DSCF5621 (2).JPG

Edited by Ron

Hi guys,

Yes, it's again impossible to buy the rubber cable, a real nuisance! I may be able to do it, but need to order over 750 quid's worth, I am skint once more, so will not happen soon.

Even the guy on Ebay is out of it, it seems.

Cheers,

Lex

IMG_4452.jpg

Rubber repro wire.jpg