BSA WB30

Ron

Hi ron 

good to know this - it might suit RM as he has an early model on the go - just as well I didn’t proceed with getting this one fabricated 

question - does the basic upper loop look ok to use or to follow - if so - the only factor then is  the location of the other mounts & where they attach to the rear guard 

Also  notice your chain guard - did you get that with the project or have you cut & shut an m20 or other bsa guards to arrive at that ? 
br

job 

John the top loop is the same as yours but I had to re-bend the angles some more. I then made the legs to suit. I'll post another picture when it comes back from being welded properly. 

The mudguards and chainguard came with the bike and they look ok to me. 

Ron 

The carrier is finished and the back wheel has it's new sealed bearings,... stripped and primed. I've built it all up again and await the rear stays and pannier brackets to align everything before welding the top pannier brackets on.  The brakes shoes are at Villiers Services for new linings.  Ron

DSCF5472 (2).JPG

• Like 2

I worked on the head today. Removed the rocker shafts,  hair pin springs, valves, guides etc. which where all seized solid. I'm taking it to Shepton tomorrow to give to an expert to repair the broken fins. I'll be rebuilding it with all new coil spring parts. Ron

DSCF5474.JPG

DSCF5475.JPG

Cast ally John. There is a part number cast inside. I'll check it later. The engine came dismembered, so I don't know if it's all from the same engine. 

PS. the part number in this cover doesn't comply with my parts list so I guess it's the early version that goes with the hair pin spring head that I have. I'm more than happy with the early head once I've converted it. 

DSCF5476 (2).JPG

Edited by Ron

I'm using a Lycette "elastic" saddle. I've put new nose brackets on and made some brackets to move the rear mounts forward a bit to line up with the coil springs. I'll also add some extra support welds. The new Bungees are here from Czech  Republic. 

I much prefer the look of the lower pillion bum pad over the "loaf" type shown in original pictures. (less height to swing my leg over too) ...... I'm going to devise some means of making up the gap at the front!!??  Ron 

DSCF5491.JPG

A moment of great disappointment. I thought I'd best check my new petrol tank before any top coat is applied. I stuck a gallon of petrol in and it leaks at one of the rear corners. I'll be paying Terry Roberts a visit next week (Metal  Magic) I'm sure he will fix it, but a lot of my primer preparation will be lost. 

Another warning to others about the quality of Indian parts. Hey Ho!  Ron

Edited by Ron

Well by connecting my air line to a petrol tap  with low pressure and immersing the tank in water I was able to clearly find the leak and weld it over. The second test proofed that I have cured it. Just some remedial work now to repair the area and  a fresh layer of primer over the whole tank I think. Ron 

DSCF5511.JPG

DSCF5512.JPG

I've been busy spraying the Service Brown. I've got the frame and a lot of the other parts done. The C12 is finally off the bench (not sure why I wanted it? Nostalgia!!) So the B30  frame is now ensconced properly on the bench where the build up can commence. I'm still working on getting the tank back to where it was. 

Oh and my brake shoes have had to be retuned to Villiers Services as they don't fit into the drums. They had assumed that the linings should be 3/16" but it seems they should be 5/32". I think they have the ability to skim them ??

Ron

DSCF5515.JPG

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

Nice! is it K.G. No. 3? probably from a V twin 500, heard there are parts out there in Egypt.

Did you actually check the petrol tank with petrol in it? water and air molecules are bigger, so might stop really small holes, from blowing bubbles, but petrol creeps through every crevice.

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike
spelling

Lex is correct - in the marine business where I used to be - we would use special filter equipped funnels when transferring fuel from Jerry cans to on board tanks 

you could clearly see the water being caught if present 

water side fuel bowsers were always the worst culprits 

job 

I've bungee'd up my Lycette saddle ready for a cover to be made with my Rexene kook alike material, and I started working on my toolbox. A decent oil tank that doesn't leak arrived yesterday from Stuart Bray.   Ron

DSCF5522.JPG

DSCF5525.JPG

A lot of the paintwork is now done and I've started the rebuild. I'm still waiting for the brake shoes to come back from Villiers, but I'm hoping to collect my repaired cylinder head tomorrow. 

By using 6 different sources, I've managed to acquire everything brand new to refurb the head and rockers. I'm also going to use a modified Triumph 750 piston with a compression plate which will take it out to nearly 400cc. 

Ron  

DSCF5534.JPG

Edited by Ron
  • Like 2

The head is repaired, blasted and painted. Everything is mostly now ready to go to Ainsley next week. The only thing missing is the new small end bush which hopefully Leon will collect from Ian at Stafford this weekend. He's kipping here on Sunday!

The crank case has gone to Steve at Phoenix for vapour blasting and I already have new main bearings in stock.  Ron   

DSCF5535 (2).JPG

DSCF5536 (2).JPG

• Like 2