BSA WB30

Ron

My sump shield is finished and fitted. I've also fitted the rocker box lids and the handlebar ready for the the controls next, and the front number plate that Jan made. (And no it is the correct way round😊)

I really like the look and fit of my Stainless steel exhaust system.  Ron

DSCF5731.JPG

DSCF5730.JPG

DSCF5734 (2).JPG

DSCF5733.JPG

DSCF5732.JPG

Edited by Ron
  • Like 5

I've fitted all the handlebar controls and cables, apart from the front brake cable which I've  just calculated the dimensions for. Strangely the parts list states that both the carb cables have mid adjusters, which no other WD bike had to my knowledge......But they are handy!

The bike is far from finished but I thought I'd temporarily hang some of the more essential item on for some pictures to send to DVLA with my application for its age related registration.

Whilst the tank was in place it gave me the opportunity to make a fuel pipe.   I've also ordered a "fictitious" RN stencil number from Axholme. Ron

DSCF5742.JPG

DSCF5739 (2).JPG

DSCF5741 (2).JPG

DSCF5747.JPG

Edited by Ron
  • Like 4

Yes Lex. The WD/C does have a midway adjuster in the valve lift cable and Velocette has a mid adjuster in their clutch cables. But never seen them on any other WD carb cables.

The WB30 speedo is offset to the left same as an M20. I'm hopping JOB will have a bracket for me at Netley.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Well more steps backwards! Since a nice man sold me the correct coil spring head, I've decided to fit it in place of the one I modified from hairpin springs. I've stripped the old valve guides out and  drilled out and re-tapped a couple of rocker lid bolts. I'll take it for sand blasting tomorrow. All the new parts that I used in the first head (valves, guides, springs etc) will go into the latest head. 

It only took me less than 3 hours to remove the tank and saddle and strip the head, barrel, carb etc off. It will be much longer getting back to where I was though.    Ron

DSCF5773.JPG

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I've been quiet for a while as changing the head and going over some other same stuff seemed pointless posting over again. 

I've had the bike running over the last 3 days (about 20 times) The engine sounds nice with no leaks apart from spits from the timing side breather, and all four gears are working. 

However,  these have a short kick start and the gearing is such that you barely  get one revolution of the flywheels per kick, and therefore is a bastard to start. Yesterday I swapped my freshly restore mag for another restored mag as it seemed to spark at a lower speed. But today I've run out of puff trying to start it.

I’ve been talking to Brett in New Zealand who has several similar bikes and has experienced the same problem and gets his mags rewound to a better than Lucas spec with thinner wire (Therefore more windings)

Can anyone comment about any mag guy in UK who understands this procedure.  Ron

DSCF5797.JPG

• Like 1

I've just discovered that the carb slide was stuck halfway up the carb. It looks like I overtightened the Burgess air filter which slightly distorted the carb body.  It went first kick after I sorted the filter out. 😖 

My Age related Reg number came through from DVLA yesterday, so I can stencil the number on today. Ron

PS. Later that day!!

DSCF5798.JPG

Edited by Ron
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I've ran it about 20 times. It sounds very nice. However It's not the easiest bike to start, because of the short kick start and gearing, plus higher compression 400cc, I recon I'm only getting about one spark at the plug per kick. I've learnt that the trick is to open the throttle wide and kick it over 6-10 times with the valve lifter to draw fuel into the cylinder. It would probably get better once it's well run in..... But that won't happen yet as I'm having hip problems and restricted to bikes without a pillion seat to get my leg over...... I'm working on it with the aid of a sports physio and a set of exercises. 

Hey Ho Getting old!!  Ron