Radio for a Scorpion

SirLanceUK

Working with a friend on a Scorpion starting to rebuild it back up. including in this is installation of 2 x 353's on the back shelf of the turret. My friend went and picked up what he thought were fixing brackets but it all appears to small, I have included a few pictures for reference. Has anyone got the part numbers or can provide pictures of what the real brackets should be, including part numbers.

Cheers in anticpation

Lance

PHOTO-2022-10-08-16-53-19.jpg

PHOTO-2022-10-08-16-53-29.jpg

PHOTO-2022-10-08-16-53-01.jpg

PHOTO-2022-10-08-16-53-11.jpg

• 4 months later...

When ever we used to draw these radios out it was just that then you man handle them into the mounts locate them in the tabs and screw / ratchet then in now it’s been a while but all I recall is the rails and tabs which are shown and I’m not sure what plate is missing as the second image depicts the mounts then the set coax together connect the antenna and power and internal comm?

Edit:

ps I’m daft I take it back the shelf the twins are mounted too !

Edited by Messier4715

On 10/9/2022 at 7:13 AM, SirLanceUK said:

does anyone have a part number or drawing of the plate please?

I'm sorry I don't have Scorpion-specific information, but here's a couple pages for the Sabre (might be the same plate?).  I'm hoping we get a nice spot to upload a library of manuals.

DSC_1296.JPG

DSC_1297.JPG

1 hour ago, teletech said:

I'm sorry I don't have Scorpion-specific information, but here's a couple pages for the Sabre (might be the same plate?).  I'm hoping we get a nice spot to upload a library of manuals.

Different plate.

I just checked my cvrt family afv publication 04 under radio equipment fitting it’s states very unhelpfully ref supplementary publication and from what I can surmise as I believe you have the support publication my last gambit would be a sign publication because the army’s like that

“ the plates signals figment or isolation plate so it’s a signals thing”

I will dig more.

#edit: so this plate is a flat sheet but I think it is a wolf rig#
https://www.greenmachinesurplus.com/radio-runners-mounting-plate-4815-p.asp
I’m not sure but it’s a start? Also part number:

In un issued condition.

Stamped for 351/2 353 320 321.

54cm by 27.5 cm approx.

this maybe a wolf plate but I bet they use the same thing, I’m doing a lot of gambling tonight lol

Edited by Messier4715

The Scorpion shelf directly under the radio mountings shown by SirHC is folded sheet. It appears that the shock mounts are under this. So there is almost certainly a steel plate similar or the same as the Scimtar / Wolf type under the the shock mounts. The folded sheet is not strong enough to support a 353. The stack-up would be Vehicle structure - steel plate - shock mounts - folded sheet shelf - mounting bars - radio.
The bars in the first photo by SirLanceUK can be used but they would have to be cut off the plate they are welded to. You also need four shock mounts "Barry Mounts". The weight rating for each of mount must encompass 1/4 of the total weight of the radio, bars and folded shelf.

Robert.

The plate is specific it appears to scorpion-sabres-scimitar turrets and may even have variants for figment in those turrets. If and when a plate is acquired a thick ribbon style earthing strap is needed for both sets if I recal right, like G8 says isolated for vibration by the rubber mounts.