1953 Road Test of Triumph TRW

Dave53

In a recently aquired copy of the Motor Cycling magazine dated 19 March 1953 there is a Road Test of a Triumph TRW.  Whilst the article is interesting to read I have two questions raised by the photos used.

Firstly, the machine is 'wearing' a civilian number plate, not a military one, now 1953 seems a bit too early for this machine to have been sold off by the military and 'Road Registered' so, did the Triumph factory hold, and provide, a few civilian registered machines specifically for the motorcycling press to use for road test purposes?

Secondly,  the machine has a Tax Disc holder on the front mudguard, now as this is a civilian registered motorcycle you would expect it to be taxed however, I have seen a number of 1950s period photographs of such machines in use by the military, with military registration number plates, also fitted with tax discs attached to the front mudguards.  I assume from this that at some point military vehicles were also required to have, and show, a valid tax disc/road fund licence.  Does anyone have any information on when this practice was in use please?

Dave

51894929673_1279eda49f_w.jpg

You are probably quite right about the above machine. But RAF vehicles during the war had a "Defence of the realm" tax disc and lots of TRW's were supplied to the RAF. Did they have civil registrations and tax discs too? Ron  

DSCF1488 (2).jpg

DSCF1487.jpg

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

I suspect Triumph were inviting potential buyers from around the world, and having a road registered machine for testing makes a lot of sense. 

On a different note, after a 25 year gap, I'm finally a TRW owner again!

Edited by G506
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ron said:

PS this picture shows a tax disc holder fitted. I can't tell if it's a tax disc within or just the makers label? Ron

trw-berrow.jpg

Hi Ron, I think you have answered your own question "Did they have civil registrations and tax discs too?"  The photo you posted is of an RAF TRW with an RAF registration number.  Or did I mis-understand your comment?

Edited by Dave53

Nice to hear from other TRW owners, this is my TRW purchased late last year and being recommissioned over the winter.  Although in very good overall condition it has been in storage for many years after having been re-imported from Canada in 2015.

IMG_1175.jpeg

Edited by Dave53

4 hours ago, Ron said:

You are probably quite right about the above machine. But RAF vehicles during the war had a "Defence of the real" tax disc and lots of TRW's were supplied to the RAF. Did they have civil registrations and tax discs too? Ron  

Defence of the Realm

I'm not up on post war vehicles and I thought it was an Army unit? Even so, when I zoom in on that picture, the writing on the tax disc looks like it might just be a makers label like Raydiot or Stadium for instance.

Someone above has quoted Defence of the realm with no other information?  Ron

Ron

The defence of the realm act came into been in 1914 and  gave the government wide ranging powers and as far as l know is still in place. As to the question a number of TRW'S carried a civilian type number plates DYE 19 been one of the most photographed appearing in a number of trials shots 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wally dugan said:

The defence of the realm act came into been in 1914 and  gave the government wide ranging powers and as far as l know is still in place. As to the question a number of TRW'S carried a civilian type number plates DYE 19 been one of the most photographed appearing in a number of trials shots 

Thanks for the information Wally.  I have not seen any photos of DYE 19 myself, or any other period photos of TRWs with civilian number plates, though I am constantly on the lookout for copies of 1950s motorcycle magazines with period TRW road test.  I do have a copy of the feature in Motor Cycling about TRW JXW 39 which was entered in the 1949 ISDT for evaluation purposes.

2 hours ago, Ron said:

I'm not up on post war vehicles and I thought it was an Army unit? Even so, when I zoom in on that picture, the writing on the tax disc looks like it might just be a makers label like Raydiot or Stadium for instance.

Someone above has quoted Defence of the realm with no other information?  Ron

Ron

Ron, I'm pretty sure that's a 'Desmo' backing disc in the holder.

Pre- and Early-war Triumphs, as was shown on this forum, were supplied with holders already fitted, and containing a Triumph advert, presumably for showroom display.

Desmo.jpg

Triumph Disc.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 79x100 said:

Ron, I'm pretty sure that's a 'Desmo' backing disc in the holder.

Pre- and Early-war Triumphs, as was shown on this forum, were supplied with holders already fitted, and containing a Triumph advert, presumably for showroom display.

Desmo.jpg

Triumph Disc.jpg

Thanks for that.

Just a quick look shows JXW 39 had the FVRDE establishment number 3827             and left there on the 18/10/58  NAC 828 had the establishment number 5311 and left on the 19/9/56 The TRW's that where there and were  given civilian registration number  from the following JLR /JXW/KYW/LUE/ RWD/NAC/ RGX/DYE. There were a lot of TRW's at  CHERTSEY during the 50s and 60s some with RAF and ARMY NUMBERS those that were scrapped only the frame numbers are recorded